• In total there are 22 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Christmas Spirit

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

DH wrote:This is true, at least for the more modern, as you called them secular-esque ones.
How are we defining "more modern"?
Lent, Good Friday and Easter are traditionally far more important than Christmas...
Well, I would say Lent, Good Friday, Easter, the Ascension and Pentecost but yes I know what you're getting at. As I've told you before, I don't really need instruction in Christian traditions, or the significance of the holy days. Or were you preaching generally?
I agree. Care to share what meaning you derive from them?
Not particularly. I will though. But first, do you actually agree that religious stories can have significance outside of the belief in a personal god, or are you just saying that in order to entice me into answering your question?
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

irishrose: How are we defining "more modern"?
I dunno, in this context I guess the benchmarks could be Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" and the most recent Target Holiday t.v. jingle I endured for the 95th time since Halloween.
irishrose: Or were you preaching generally?
Oh no, directly at you ...you heathen . :twisted:
irishrose: do you actually agree that religious stories can have significance outside of the belief in a personal god, or are you just saying that in order to entice me into answering your question?
I agree that religious stories can have significance outside of the belief in a personal god. For the more fervently atheist (and some theists too) , they can be significantly wrong and dangerous: in these cases, their significance lies in their dangerous influences and the need to expose them for the fraud and delusion they represent. But you mean significant as valuable, meaningful, useful, and important...perhaps even beautiful, to be treasured and cared for: and accessable in these ways without accepting the belief in a personal god.

I think these stories are essential components of the human experience, and if understanding what it means to be human is important, then these stories are significant elements of that process. I mean significant in the sense of being important, inescapable and invaluable.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

DH wrote:I dunno, in this context I guess the benchmarks could be Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" and the most recent Target Holiday t.v. jingle I endured for the 95th time since Halloween.
Well then what about "Here We Come A-Wassailing," or "O Tannenbaum," or "The Twelve Days of Christmas," or "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," or "Deck the Halls," or... I don't mean to bust your chops, DH...well maybe a little. But I think we (as in, our society--I'm not speaking to you individually) are under this impression that Christmas has only been secularized in, say, the last century, or even half century. And, though I'll admit it probably has become much more secularized in that time, there were secular elements long before the current crop of dirty heathens.

As for being forced to enjoy the Christmas carols, I get where you're coming from. These days, I don't really watch TV, outside of sporting events, and the little Christmas shopping I do is online and in bookstores. So, for me, Christmas carols are once again a pleasure to hear, particularly my pretty fine collection. In fact, while baking last night, I delightfully played through most of my Bing Crosby Christmas music.
Oh no, directly at you ...you heathen
Yeah, I figured. You can't help yourself, can you? Image
But you mean significant as valuable, meaningful, useful, and important...perhaps even beautiful, to be treasured and cared for: and accessable in these ways without accepting the belief in a personal god.
Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. I guess with where we started, in the context of Christmas hymns, I wasn't thinking much of religion's malevolent significance.
I think these stories are essential components of the human experience, and if understanding what it means to be human is important, then these stories are significant elements of that process. I mean significant in the sense of being important, inescapable and invaluable.
Now, not to get too particular, and I do appreciate your attempt, but I don't think this really answers my question. First, let me clarify that I don't think of religious stories as necessarily "essential components of the human experience." I would more say that they can be significant components of the human experience.

But your saying that religious stories are essential to the human experience
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

irishrose: I think we (as in, our society--I'm not speaking to you individually) are under this impression that Christmas has only been secularized in, say, the last century, or even half century. And, though I'll admit it probably has become much more secularized in that time, there were secular elements long before the current crop of dirty heathens.
I guess I am referring largely to popular culture for who, I think, Christmas begins with Ebeneezer Scrooge, transforms into Bing Crosby, morphs into Linus and Charlie Brown, and eventually saturates every element of work, market, school and neighborhood....and Baby Jesus is kept in the manger with the sheeps and wise men under a wandering star. You are no doubt correct that secularizing elements have been at work long before that...actually, the history of heresy and orthodoxy in the Christianity is a fascinating study of where the borders of appropriate thought and action are drawn: and it tells us that there have always been multiple perspectives and different practices within, surrounding and in external conflict with the Church...appropriating, absorbing, transforming, creating mutations of all sorts- including the hymns.

In response to Mr. P's question about the value of a particular Christmas song and how Jesus would have responded to it...I felt could be better addressed in the context of songs that Christians sing- thus the brief introduction of hymns. I think I overstated my case when inflating all Christmas carols with Christian hymns...that wasn't my intention.
irishrose: First, let me clarify that I don't think of religious stories as necessarily "essential components of the human experience." I would more say that they can be significant components of the human experience.
I agree with this as well. Not everyone particpates in a religous community, observes religious ritual, or adheres to religious beliefs: for these people, and they are not a small number, religious stories do not deliver the same import (guidance, instruction, inspiration, solidarity, etc.). But, to qualify your clarification, all of these people live in close proximity and have steady contact with many for whom religious stories do provide that certain mojo. Thus, there are precious few, if any, substantial relationships (with institutions, legal systems, workplaces, neighborhoods, academic settings, etc.) where religious stories are not essential components of the dynamic. Now, this does not mean everyone is a closet theist at heart...or that religion is the defining element...just that the impact of religion is generally and deeply pervasive in human experience.
irishrose: Do you think the belief in a personal god is a defining element of the effect of religious myth, or is that belief ancillary to the stories themselves?
This is an excellent question. First, what is the effect of myth? Campbell describes at least four functions of Myth: 1. Mystical (identification with the ground/source of existence); 2. Cosmological (axiomatic fundamentals of how the comos works) 3. Sociological (rules and ideals that validate the social order); 4. Pedagogical (rites of passage and lessons that guide individuals through life passages). I think this (obviously crude summary) is a workable lens for the subject (and probably fit for another thread).

But, in answer to your question, I think dismissal of the personal God element will obviously impact each of these effects of the myth. I say dismissal because it is an act of rejection, and not a small one either: it is saying "I'm not interested" in what, for many (if not all) is the most important part of the dynamic.

In the context of what we're discussing, saying No to God but saying Yes to these stories about God (as I see it) diminishes the story's impact. By saying Yes to God these stories about God become exponentially more important: they deliver a message of ultimate import with crucial consequences. I don't see how this same sort of crucial ultimacy can be attained without the God factor.

Again, if the God of these stories is more than literary imagination (or psychological manipulation, or social exploitation, or familial abuse, or ideological delusion, etc.) then rejecting this God is cutting oneself off from an experience that (as I see it) is much greater than what can be gained from a personal appreciation of these stories.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

irishrose wrote:Mr. P., have you ever heard the song? It's awful. Outside of whatever religious issues one may or may not have with it, I wouldn't want any kid of mine singing the song, because it's just bad music. There are so many gorgeous Christmas carols, both religious and secular-esque, why, why, why does that terrible song get playing time, I'll never know.

I often wonder if it's because people don't know that the song, rather than actually being dramatic, plays with their emotions, in an atrociously melodramatic way. Like watching a movie that's more manipulative than good. Manipulating human emotions is easy, actually affecting them is the hard part. That song is manipulative, and is piss-poor at that because it's so obvious about it.
I always thought I was the only one who hated this song LOL. It is horrible but many people have called me Scrooge for not liking it. A friend of mine cries everytime it comes on and thinks I'm heartless because I don't :cry:

It's not for religious reasons that I dislike it - I just think it's stupid. If my mother was lying there dying, I would be home spending time with her, not out wasting time buying her shoes she doesn't need anyway since she's lying in bed! Ugh! I hate that song.
My wedding day! 08-08-08

Return to “Everything Else”