• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

February & March 2008 Fiction Book Suggestions

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
lovesbooks07
Master Debater

Unread post

There two books on here thati think would be good

The Girls by Lori Lansens and To the Lighthouse. They both looks good reads and it looks like it got plenty of things in to discuss.
BrianSJNB
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I would like to second Persepolis. Enjoyed it immensely and would love to reread it before going to see the movie that has just been released.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Any additional comments about the books that have already been suggested? This is last call folks. We need to swap out Wicked for a book that is going to generate some quality discussion. Please comment on other peoples books.

The question I am asking is...

Will you read any of the books already suggested?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Persepolis is a comic book for children about a girl's childhood.

So it's not suitable for us, I don't know how that escaped me the first time I looked it up at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0375714 ... eader-link
Last edited by Ophelia on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ophelia.
bklvr

Unread post

Although I am new to this site and not sure what your group normally reads, I don't see how anyone would not enjoy reading "Fire Bell in the Night" by Geoffrey Edwards.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Bell-Night-G ... 186&sr=8-1

It is historical fiction, set in Charleston, SC in 1850. The story is told from the point of view of New York reporter, John Sharp. Sharp is sent to Charleston to cover the trial of Darcy Calhoun, who will likely be hanged for assisting a runaway slave.

This story is not a trial book though. We follow Sharp for about 10 days as he becomes caught up in both the glamour and horror of the antebellum South. He is not sure who he can trust, as the nation is quickly being torn in two directions. It is a great historical thriller and I actually learned a lot about the time period while reading this book.

I found a couple reviews from the author's website if you'd like to read more:
http://geoffreysedwards.com/reviews.html
bklvr

Unread post

Sorry - forgot to comment on the other suggested titles. I would be interested in reading "Persepolis".
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello bklvr, and welcome!

I'm glad you've found us, and thank you for your reading suggestions.
I love historical fiction and it is rare to find good books in that genre, and also rare to find people to talk to about them !

So I'll follow your tip, I have ordered "Fine Bell" and will get back to you when I've read it.

Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini?
This is the fiction book Booktalk is discussing at the moment, and I am trying to entice more people to read it, as most people on this forum are more into non-fiction.

I hope to hear from you again at Booktalk. :)
Ophelia.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I don't mean to put a damper on the enthusiasm Persepolis has garnered here; but, looking it over, I wonder if it's the type of book that leads to good literary discussion. In fact, it's advertised as an autobiography and a memoir, which wouldn't really serve the interest of a fiction discussion at all. I'm interested to read Persepolis, so if it's chosen I'll probably join the discussion. But will it be possible with Persepolis to discuss themes, characterization, imagery, symbolism, structure
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'm pretty much always up for re-reading "Heart of Darkness". I've already read it three times, but can you ever exhaust a book like that? As for the other authors you've named, with most of them, I'd like to read some of their works that don't get required in public education. Maybe something "House of the Seven Gables" for Hawthorne, and much thought I love "Gatsby", maybe "This Side of Paradise" for Fitzgerald. Henry James is an author I've been meaning to read for a long time now, so just about anything from his bibliography would be fine by me. I've read some Toni Morrison and found the experience more frustrating than enjoyable. I could probably stand to revisit Walker.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

My respect for the classics is as high as ever, but somehow I don't feel like discussing them now.
Ophelia.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”