• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Seen any good movies recently?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

ralphinlaos wrote:Hello everyone -

What's the movie Liam Neeson did with Jessica Lange - a really excellent historical epic, whose title I can't remember right now. Also, did you see Liam (all of him!) in Kinsey?

...I have a DVD of The Neverending Story but haven't watched it yet. Isn't Once the movie which had the Academy Award winning song this year?.......have you seen Once Were Warriors? Filled with violence and vulgar language and people you wouldn't want to have over for dinner, but a really wonderful film - from New Zealand.

There's a movie I'm really looking forward to, playing on the MGM Movie Channel next weekend. It's Babette's Feast, and in all these years, I've never seen it. In French with English sub-titles, no problem. I've heard it's a gem.

Ralph
1. movie Liam Neeson did with Jessica Lange - Ethan Fromm
2. Not Neverending Story - although it's not bad. I was meaning Neverland about J.M. Barrie the author of Peter Pan.
3. Once, yes winning song.
4. Once Were Warriors not seen but will go looking for - our movie taste seem to match up
5. Babette's Feast delightful movie - Bon appetit!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Another one to look out for.....if you haven't seen it, is 'Peter's Friends'. I like the music in this one.

It has some swearing - but I have never heard the F-word used to such wonderful effect as by Kenneth Brannagh in this film.

Actually, I try not to use swear words.....but I do like them. Wonderfully expressive and a great release when uptight and stressed.

Does anyone else love 'The Snatch'? Brad Pit playing an Irish Tinker...wonderfully well.

I am not a person who either cries, or laughs easily.......I do have a well-developed sense of humour but I don't often laugh out loud......so films like the above which make me laugh and cry out loud, must be good.
Tonks
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I saw Juno in theaters during all the Oscar hype. I thought it was great and I actually purchased it last week and watched it again. It's so deliciously awkward. I love how strange all of the characters are and how you can actually say, "I'm sort of weird like they are!"

Reminds me of the year American Beauty won the Oscar. It wasn't a movie I would have expected to see in the line up, but it was also a terrific movie. :smile:
Nikki
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

There's a movie I'm really looking forward to, playing on the MGM Movie Channel next weekend. It's Babette's Feast, and in all these years, I've never seen it. In French with English sub-titles, no problem. I've heard it's a gem.

Ralph
Yes, Babette's Feast is great, you won't be disappointed.
Ophelia.
dbooks
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I really loved Miss Potter, and it also reminded me a lot of Finding Neverland

Next on my watching list is Becoming Jane, about Jane Austen: I hope they haven't romanticized her life too much... Has anyone seen it?
About Love actually, I must say that I was quite disappointed by this one. I was expecting a lot, and didn't like it as well as I hoped (but any movie with Colin Firth can't be a complete disappointment :smile: ...)

Penelope: I saw Peter's Friends when it first aired in movie theaters, and I remember this was a great movie. Kenneth Brannagh is really excellent (though I don't remember the swearing scenes...)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Oooooh.....the swearing was great!!!!! !!

When I was a 'Mum' I did not advocate swearing..... but now I am a Grandma, I am all for it!!!!!

The beginning of wisdom!
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Well, Babette's Feast was on tonight - in French with English subtitles. I don't mind sub-titles at all, sometimes I wish all movies had sub-titles (I can't stand it when actor's whisper and I can't understand what they are saying). Anyway, I settled in to watch Babette and they had sub-titles alright, English subtitles with Thai sub-titles on top of the English - I couldn't read a word of the English.

No, thank you, I'll wait and find a copy on DVD someday.

Does anyone like Shirley Valentine as much as I do?

And what's the movie in which Julie Walters and Brenda Blethyn go to a bingo game every week, one of them wins top prize, and they go to Las Vegas and meet Kris Kristofferson? There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the general idea. I liked that movie a lot.

Ralph
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Girls' Night is the movie - I'm telling you Ralph, with Google anything is possible! :komp_cr:

I like subtitles too. Most Americans can't stand them so when a movie comes out here it is super difficult to find it with subtitles. It's pretty frustrating, especially when the voice over is garbage.

I just got done watching The Fountain. It was so horrible. So so so so so horrible. :axe:
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Thanks, President Camacho. "Girl's Night" is the name of the movie I was looking for; it's a fun movie. But then, I usually enjoy anything with Julie Walters or Brenda Blethyn.

I know all about Googling; I've been doing it for years. But I like to think of these postings as people who have something in common sitting around chatting - and I don't usually run to Google when I'm sitting with a group of friends, trying to get a word in edge-wise.

One of these days, when I get off this site, I'm going to Google President Camacho + Florida + renaissance man - I wonder what I'll get.

Ralph
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I'm not a huge movie-watcher, but I enjoy them. I was telling Saffron that I admired "A Mighty Heart", about the murder of Daniel Pearl. I hestiated to see it because Angelina Jolie is not necessarily hyped for her acting talent. But she has it in this.

My wife and I are watching some of the "Deadwood" series on DVD. Penelope, if you want to hear off-the-charts use of the f-word, adjective form, that is the source. At first I doubted that people in that time (1870s, I think) would swear like that, since John Wayne and Marshall Dillon never did, but then I thought, well, maybe they did. We didn't invent f--- in the 60s, after all. The series, about a lawless territory that is now S. Dakota, is intense and compelling; I guess you could call it over-the-top realism. You certainly won't see anyone facing off in the street for a gun duel. It's much safer to shoot 'em in the back of the head.
DWill

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”