• In total there are 65 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What does your BookTalk.org name mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote: Tom, listen, that's because OH and I walk the canals. We walk the canals because they are flat. . . I can do the climbing up, but the coming down hurts my knees!!!!
Maybe the water is trying to tell you something:

In addition to the standard benefits of any exercise, the use of water in water aerobics supports the body and reduces the risk of muscle or joint injury. The mitigation of gravity by flotation places less stress on the joints when stretching, and can allow a greater range of motion. The mitigation of gravity makes water aerobics safe for individuals able to keep their heads out of water, including the elderly. Exercise in water can also prevent overheating through continuous cooling of the body. Most classes last for 45-55 minutes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_aerobics
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Thrillwriter wrote:My BT name simply refers to the fact that I write and enjoy reading thrillers. However, my given name and the name I write under is Diana ...
But Diana is associated with weapons, and there's the resonance 'DIE and a BANE', which I think might have led to your interest.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Grim
Grim\, a. [Compar. Grimmer (-mer); superl. Grimmest.] [AS. grim; akin to G. grimm, equiv. to G. & D. grimmig, Dan. grim, grum, Sw. grym, Icel. grimmr, G. gram grief, as adj., hostile; cf. Gr. ?, a crushing sound, ? to neigh.] Of forbidding or fear-inspiring aspect; fierce; stern; surly; cruel; frightful; horrible.

Whose grim aspect sets every joint a-shaking. --Shak.

The ridges of grim war. --Milton.

Syn: Syn.-- Fierce; ferocious; furious; horrid; horrible; frightful; ghastly; grisly; hideous; stern; sullen; sour.

Language Translation for : grim
Spanish: horrible, horroroso, macabro, nefasto, German: schrecklich,
Japanese:

grim

adjective
1. not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty; "grim determination"; "grim necessity"; "Russia's final hour, it seemed, approached with inexorable certainty"; "relentless persecution"; "the stern demands of parenthood"
2. shockingly repellent; inspiring horror; "ghastly wounds"; "the grim aftermath of the bombing"; "the grim task of burying the victims"; "a grisly murder"; "gruesome evidence of human sacrifice"; "macabre tales of war and plague in the Middle ages"; "macabre tortures conceived by madmen" [syn: ghastly]
3. harshly ironic or sinister; "black humor"; "a grim joke"; "grim laughter"; "fun ranging from slapstick clowning ... to savage mordant wit" [syn: black]
4. harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance; "a dour, self-sacrificing life"; "a forbidding scowl"; "a grim man loving duty more than humanity"; "undoubtedly the grimmest part of him was his iron claw"- J.M.Barrie [syn: dour]
5. filled with melancholy and despondency ; "gloomy at the thought of what he had to face"; "gloomy predictions"; "a gloomy silence"; "took a grim view of the economy"; "the darkening mood"; "lonely and blue in a strange city"; "depressed by the loss of his job"; "a dispirited and resigned expression on her face"; "downcast after his defeat"; "feeling discouraged and downhearted"
6. causing dejection; "a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather"

grim
O.E. grimm "fierce, cruel," from P.Gmc. *grimmaz (cf. Ger. grimm, O.N. grimmr, Swed. grym "fierce, furious"), from PIE *ghrem- perhaps imitative of the sound of rumbling thunder (cf. Gk. khremizein "to neigh," O.C.S. vuzgrimeti "to thunder," Rus. gremet' "thunder"). A weaker word now than once it was; sense of "dreary, gloomy" first recorded c.1175. It also had a verb form in O.E., grimman (class III strong verb; past tense gramm, p.p. grummen). O.E. also had a noun, grima "goblin, specter," perhaps also a proper name or attribute-name of a god, hence its appearance as an element in place names. As a noun meaning "a form of bogey or haunting spirit," first recorded 1628.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane - Inter + bane... a failed attempt to be clever. :weep:
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Interbane - Inter + bane... a failed attempt to be clever.
Rather, "Interbane" appears to be a coined word, therefore, purely self representative and very clever. Probably

Interbane = Inter + bane = allusion to 1. problem with brain chemistry; 2. via pun on 'interbrain' (diencephalon), your technical skill and intellectual interests.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Tom Hood - do you call yourself after the Poet?

Is it your real name?
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Oh yes, I just checked back - it is your real name, sorry Tom.

It's a good name.

grim - I bet you're embarrassingly good looking and really want to call yourself gorgeous george. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Tom Hood - do you call yourself after the Poet?

Is it your real name?
Yes, it is my real name, but shortened. I was named after my grandfather, the saintly bootlegger, and am afflicted with "Thomas Leroy Hood, III". The name suits me: Thomas < toim = Semitic for twin. I have a nondescript appearance and am often mistaken for others. And as for 'hood', I do enjoy enquiring into the mysteries.

I am of no relation to the Poet that I know of, but enjoy the ambiguity. He had a son, Tom Hood, who wrote a classic horror short story. There may be several hundred Thomas Hoods in the USA, and I imagine quite a few in England.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, there's Robin Hood! :smile:

The Hooded Man!!!! Very mysterious.

But Leroy....that makes me laugh...because it is so American....I don't think there are many Leroys in the UK.

I am very interested in names at the moment, as I am about to get a new grandaughter shortly and we are arguing about names. And laughing....

Rafael Sabatini
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I picked Saffron because I love the flavor and color of saffron. I find its red orange color exciting and beautiful. A favorite dish of mine is a seafood stew with tomato and saffron. Okay, I admit it, I am a foodie with an art degree.

Jackie

Return to “Everything Else”