• In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Our Dependence On Electricity

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

GreyIxia wrote:Hmm... I think they used horses... Maybe we could make gas out of milk! Then, milk would be valuable to me. (I'm lactose-intolerent [well, it's mostly just milk that's the problem. I can eat other dairy products, but not too much, but a drop of milk makes my stomach ach. And that, my friend, is why I like soy milk. Plus it comes in different flavors, yum]).
Eh? Well, i can eat cheese, drink milk and I know one thing; a visit to a farm learning how to get milk from cows made it so I didn't even look at dairy products for a month. But the fact that we can get energy from them...? Ugh...
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

By the way, a solar-powered car? Niice. I watched a video about a guy that has a solar car and his adventures on it. He drove from mexico (meh-he-ko) all the way to Alaska! It was pretty sweet.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Yes, I know it's like animal cruelty :weep: Like a boy once said in my class: "For the animals!!!" Haha! That was such a funny moment! If only all of you were there, you'd understand *wipes away a tear from crying*. But anyway, he had a good point.

As for the solar car, it was a tiny one, like, about a foot long and 6 inches wide. You did however get to design the car (like how much the solar pannel slants, how much balsa wood you se etc). Our school hasn't won the race yet but he can't participate in it anymore because (1) he's not going to the same school as I anymore (my dear brother twin leaving the school? That deserves a celebration on my part) and (2) you can't participate after you've passed 8th grade.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Innocence is ugly in the one who is guilty." - Fault Line by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

The Truth Beneath The Rose by Within Temptation
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

GreyIxia wrote:The solar car, it was a tiny one, like, about a foot long and 6 inches wide. You did however get to design the car (like how much the solar pannel slants, how much balsa wood you se etc). Our school hasn't won the race yet but he can't participate in it anymore.
Awesome! The solar car i saw was about the size of a Z06 Corvette. It was funny, he had to sit so far down that you could barely see out of the cockpit. It was essentially a pod covered with a little plastic head and thousands of solar cells, with wheels and an engine. Too bad you cant do it anymore :(

GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Mhm, though I've never been to one of the races, I have seen him building the car and he still has them. The best thing about the races is that you get to skip school :P because it's on a school day.

I know that they also have those electric cars, but I've never really seen one in person.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

GreyIxia wrote:Mhm, though I've never been to one of the races, I have seen him building the car and he still has them. The best thing about the races is that you get to skip school :P because it's on a school day.
Lol funny. :)
GreyIxia wrote:I know that they also have those electric cars, but I've never really seen one in person.
Ya ive heard about those. supposd to be pretty cool :D

GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Mhm, but talking about them would be compleeeetely against this thread. Therefore, we shall talk about them, oui?

I think I've seen one before. They're kind of like this little buggy? Ooh! That reminds me of something my sister, brother and I used to do! Every time we saw one of those little buggy cars (which was a while ago--you barely see them now), someone hits another and says, "Punch buggy, no punch back." I have no idea where we got that from (I think it was my sister's friend) but I can't believe I still remember that! *wipes invisible tear of laughter* goooood times, goooooood times.

Anyway, I wonder how they charge those cars... Hmm, that's a good question. Perhaps it's time to do some research? (Ahh, ze joy of ze intairnet.)

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

You plug them into a normal 120 v outlet I believe. There have been people proposing different business models to make money, such as "battery change stations". Such stations would service you like an oil change. You drive in, a robot changes the massive battery out for a fresh charged one, and you're on your way. Then your old battery is recharched over time at that battery depot and roughly 12 hours later, it's reinstalled into another customer's car, fresh and charged. The infrastructure would take so much time and money that if this happens, it won't be for many years. So until then, plugging your cars into a wall outlet is the best way to go.
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Hmm, okay

Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

GreyIxia wrote:Mhm, though I've never been to one of the races, I have seen him building the car and he still has them. The best thing about the races is that you get to skip school :P because it's on a school day.
LOL.
GreyIxia wrote:I know that they also have those electric cars, but I've never really seen one in person.
Electric cars, such as those weird little Italian-ish cars, are really bad, because they waste batteries! If you're going to try and save energy, don't waste electric batteries! Lol! If we cannot seem to find a way to save energy, save all the batteries you can...lol...

Return to “Science & Technology”