• In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

Yes

55%
No

45%

Total votes: 22
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Re: Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

Unread post

MidnightCoder wrote:Iluvbookz13, I gotta ask... what's the difference to you? They ended up just as dead, they pee on the floor whether it's a hanging or a shooting...
:shock:

MidnightCoder wrote:I'm very curious about this. :P
Well, It's kind of intangible to me, really. It just seems more gruesome and disgusting to me if the hang themselves, verses shooting or stabbing themselves. :hmm:
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I wonder if you all would truly buy a home in which a horrific murder took place. Where it's now ok to live because the blood was removed, stains were painted over, and the carpet was changed out...etc. It's easy to say you would but would you really truly do so? Noises in the night, quality of sleep after scary movies, reminders from neighbors, and the random questions people would ask would all go through your head before putting pen to paper. Also, resale value of the home and the stigma of having chosen a place where you want to build a future, maybe just like the last person did, and knowing that someone met their bloody end there might make the ink of your John Hancock jump right back into the pen.

Do you know the details of the murder? Of course you would ask. It's nice to know these things. I'm sure you'll forget all the horrific facts after you buy the home. No need dwelling on the past. What's done is done.

The superstition comes into play not so much as ghosts but hopes of a prosperous future. A person that would buy a house from a fortunate family that lived a long time, had many children who all did well, and everyone knew and respected them could ask more money from their home than from someone who was murdered in their home along with all their family members. In fact they could ask quite a lot more because the other person is dead.

There are social implications as well depending on where you live and how small the community is. If it's tiny then everyone's going to know you as the guy who bought the house that someone was horrifically murdered in. What's worse is that they would know the individual's name and actually may have been friends or close acquaintances with them. Now you remind them of their terrible, gruesome death every time they see you. That's nice.

How depressing. Buying a home in which you're going to be investing in as the nest and launch pad of your future. What a good start. Coming home to death house, to murder house, hack house, blood house, the end house, corpse house, morbid house. Home is where the heart was cut out. Mi casa es su muerte.

Yeah - go ahead and make yourself at home.
Jlane5516
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

Yes, I would live in the house. My reasons: The house would most likely be cheap, and I could later film a movie/have tours of the house.
"The constant questioning of our values and achievements is a challenge with which neither science nor society can remain healthy. "
-Bohr.

"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash in between"

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

President Camacho wrote: How depressing. Buying a home in which you're going to be investing in as the nest and launch pad of your future. What a good start. Coming home to death house, to murder house, hack house, blood house, the end house, corpse house, morbid house. Home is where the heart was cut out. Mi casa es su muerte.

Yeah - go ahead and make yourself at home.
That's a riot. Should I just say you're not too bad at calling a bluff and leave it there? Or should I try to wiggle out of it and say "depends on what you mean by 'horrific'"? Of course, any murder could be called horrific, so if the wife shot the husband because he didn't take out the trash, that's what I'd have to live with as the new owner of the house...which doesn't seem so hard to do. Maybe all I'd have to put up with from the townfolk is those sniggering jokes about not forgetting to dump the garbage.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

It seems so funny that this topic is being discussed. For as long as people have lived in dwellings, people have lived in dwellings in which people have died (I do not see much difference between the horror of a suicide, a murder, or a horrific death from bubonic plague or a mismanaged childbirth?). People buy and live in houses where horrific deaths occur, all the time. I've never heard of a house being torn down after a murder. Have you? I suppose there is a little bit of a difference when the crime is especially heinous or notorious. Even then, there are those individuals that like the idea of owning a house in which a famous murder took place. I feel certain that the farm house once owned by the Clutter family (made famous in Truman Capote's In Cold Blood) is now occupied by some other family.

My brother now lives in the house I grew up in; in which he found my father dead. He was very close to my dad and I think he feels a kind of comfort in the fact my father died in the house and that he lives in it. I do realize this scenario is very different than if my father had been murdered or some more violent thing had happened.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Ah, I am right about the Clutter home. Here is a blurb that goes with a photo of a child playing in the basement room of the farm house.
Bryce Druessel plays tag with his sister, Mariah, in the basement of the former Clutter home, now owned by Leonard and Donna Mader. They're playing in the corner where Kenyon Clutter was found dead on the morning of November 15, 1959.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

of course not! I'd go crazy! I'd probably spend days on end wondering, thinking, dreaming about how and why the murder or whatever happened. I'd make up scenes in my head even if I don't want to. I'd be scared of every corner and I'll keep wondering about lives wasted by some evil jerk.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I really don't think it would bother me. In fact, I'm kind of a morbid person; the idea is almost appealing. I also feel I might benefit from other people's superstitions and get a good price on it. That said, I think Camacho is right that the idea that someone was murdered here might start to weigh on you after awhile. It's human nature to want to know all the gruesome details. Ultimately though, I know my wife wouldn't like it and for that alone I wouldn't buy it.
-Geo
Question everything
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

geo wrote:Ultimately though, I know my wife wouldn't like it and for that alone I wouldn't buy it.
Oh, so thoughtful of you :roll: :lol:
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
weaver
Gaining experience

Unread post

When looking for a house, the real estate agent was going to show us a home in which a murder had taken place. We found out about the crime before the agent set up the appointment. We were tempted to go and pretend we were psychic and relay to the agent our ill feelings as we went through the house just to spook the agent. Decided not to be mean and canceled appt.

Return to “Everything Else”