• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The problems in texas school standards starts and stops with these folks.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: The problems in texas school standards starts and stops with these folks.

Unread post

10. "Texas is for wackos."

9. "We won't have to hold *you* against your will."

8. "Where the deer and the antelope play...and the weird guy across the street is probably packin' an automatic rifle."

7. "Get off our land!"

6. "Don't wait for the next comet! Beam up...to Texas."

5. "Sunny beaches, rolling hills, armed stand-offs."

4. "Lien on us."

3. "Texas: illegally acquired; universally admired."

2. "Indulge your delusions of grandeur."

...and the number one new tourism slogan for the Republic of Texas:

1. "It really *is* a whole 'nother country!"
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Well, now we are starting to see what brazen idiocy these fools wish to push on us. Imagine: they are in charge of texas' educators while they themselves are not educated!

Texas' is a leading consumer of textbooks. As a result, they have a lot to say about what goes into textbooks country-wide. The gaping stupidity being displayed here will not only bankrupt the minds of innocent texan children, but the rammifications will likely find their way into your children's schools as well.
All kidding aside, I really doubt Texans will be able to dumb down our science books very much. All they've been able to do so far is insert some "strengths and weaknesses" language such as "evolution is a theory". Although it is scary how Creationists want to dumb down our science standards because they're too stupid to understand it. Fortunately, Texas is losing its influence to set science textbook standards. I forget where I heard this. Also, surprisingly, the number of Creationists is about the same in texas as it is in the rest of the country. We just have to get them off the freakin' school boards.

http://ncse.com/news/2010/02/polling-ev ... xas-005330
-Geo
Question everything
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

geo wrote:
johnson1010 wrote:Well, now we are starting to see what brazen idiocy these fools wish to push on us. Imagine: they are in charge of texas' educators while they themselves are not educated!

Texas' is a leading consumer of textbooks. As a result, they have a lot to say about what goes into textbooks country-wide. The gaping stupidity being displayed here will not only bankrupt the minds of innocent texan children, but the rammifications will likely find their way into your children's schools as well.
All kidding aside, I really doubt Texans will be able to dumb down our science books very much. All they've been able to do so far is insert some "strengths and weaknesses" language such as "evolution is a theory". Although it is scary how Creationists want to dumb down our science standards because they're too stupid to understand it. Fortunately, Texas is losing its influence to set science textbook standards. I forget where I heard this. Also, surprisingly, the number of Creationists is about the same in texas as it is in the rest of the country. We just have to get them off the freakin' school boards.

http://ncse.com/news/2010/02/polling-ev ... xas-005330
Yeah, it does seem like the school board policy is what really causes issues here. Of course, I wouldn't mind saying "evolution is a theory" in a textbook that outlines what a scientific theory is. I seriously can't understand how "it's a theory" can be considered any type of argument against teaching evolution. Oh well.

Unfortunately, I get to assist in teaching these kids later, in college science classes. Many here have probably heard that even Harvard grads don't know why we have seasons. Sadder, though, is the fact that many students don't realize that evidence is necessary to make scientific claims. I've marked papers down for not citing evidence, and then had students come in, confused, asking what I meant by that. The Texan idea that science must live up to moral standards really blurs the line between "science" and "opinion," which makes things difficult for educators at all levels.
amielou
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am completing my tenth year of teaching high school American history. There are essentially four weeks of instructional time remaining and I am in the middle of World War 2 right now.

So, I'm just saying, Texas can fill textbooks full of Conservative crap for the sections on the 1980s and 90s all they want, most teachers will never get to those chapters anyway!

Although, I agree that the "editing" is alarming across the board, especially in terms of the American Revolution and the ideology and philosophical influences of the founders.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

amielou wrote: So, I'm just saying, Texas can fill textbooks full of Conservative crap for the sections on the 1980s and 90s all they want, most teachers will never get to those chapters anyway!

Although, I agree that the "editing" is alarming across the board, especially in terms of the American Revolution and the ideology and philosophical influences of the founders.
Not "conservative crap" just plain crap! :angry:
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I sympathize, gary.

It is unfortunate that "Conservative" has gone so far toward being synonymous with anti-intelectualism, fear of "gettin' above yer raisin's", Young earth creationism, and other deplorable wrong-headedness.

There is a place for real, intellectually honest conservativism. Unfortunately, we hear so very little from these people.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

A step in the right direction.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_15098236

a bill is being proposed to block books addopting Texas' new standards in textbooks.

Write your representatives. We need to assert honest intellectual standards for our textbooks. The classroom is not the place to push party politics.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Another step in the right direction.

Guess who isn't on board with a basic set of curriculum standards for all states. Texas.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wirestory?id=10806183&page=1
-Guillermo Del Torro

lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Agreed Johnson1010. We all must work with our local and state school boards to prevent the TX decisions from affecting our children where ever we live. I just caught up with this Topic and was encouraged to see the responses. TX has set the example for ignorance and we must stop it from spreading.

Return to “Current Events & History”