• In total there are 63 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Kayta
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Unread post

Careful when you get Stranger. Was originally published with a different (and horrible) ending, where Michael isn't "grokked." They republished with Heinlein's original ending many years later. I much prefer the (later) unedited version.
"...if you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...
...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett
Kayta
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Eratosthenes wrote:Good point, I guess I missed Dune...I thought the first three were brilliant but I think, like many publishers, it became a cash cow. They tell me the recent one written by hi son (name escapes me) is very good....
You're right, Dune, Dune Messiah & Children of Dune were great. Heretics and God Emperor were good but Chapter House, I think, picked up the standard again. Have only read 1 or 2 of son's books, Brian Herbert & someone else?, and wasn't thrilled. Seem too much like added-on books rather than a part of the series.
"...if you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...
...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett
Eratosthenes

Unread post

Kayta wrote:Careful when you get Stranger. Was originally published with a different (and horrible) ending, where Michael isn't "grokked." They republished with Heinlein's original ending many years later. I much prefer the (later) unedited version.
Thanks for the warning...but won't that mean I will need to read the end first to see if I have the right one... :lol:
3amd5.Royo
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm so glad Kayta mentioned Heinlein! Before a couple years ago I only read hardcore fantasy, but finally decided the genre was getting too predictable, so I started reading more sci-fi. I have some buddies that are sci-fi obsessed, and Stranger in a Strange Land was automatically the first book they had me read! It was refreshing and enjoyable, lol.

I also just read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, who's books and graphic novels I scramble for whenever I'm in a book store.
At the end of the game the queen and the pawn always go back in the same box.
-Anonymous
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I like the Lazarus Long stuff by Heinlen, Also Race Against Time by Piers Anthony. I probably have more fantasy by 10:1 over scifi, but I have enjoyed everything mentioned above except Gaiman, who I am about to go look for...

What would you call Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy?

Tad Williams wrote a great scifi/fantasy book I wouldn't be sure which to call it. It was The City Of Golden Shadow series, which is set in a modern time within a virtual reality or realities (science) but the characters do go on a quest (fantasy). It was a great read, I had already liked Williams from the Dragonbone Chair series.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
ruthiekb72
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I know it's not hard-core but I love anything by Ray Bradbury!
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

What is your favorite by Bradbury? I have always meant to read something by him...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite Bradbury. I didn't like Something Wicked This Way Comes, but I haven't given up on him entirely. I intend to read at least one more of his books in the future.
ruthiekb72
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Have read almost everything except his new one but I read 'Dandelion Wine' in high school & never forgot it!
MtGrizzly
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Heinlein is my favorite, but not because of the 'whiz bang' flying spaceship and death rays, (which mostly his books don't have), stuff. I enjoy them because of the social commentary they include. The stories are engaging, while pointing out some realities of the world, or how Heinlein would like the world to be.

My favorite of his is If This Goes on in the future history series. Citizen of the Galaxy was also very socially relevant. I was forced to read Stranger in a Strange Land in high school by a particularly unpleasant English teacher, so it isn't on the list of my favorites by Heinlein.

Podkayne of Mars, while juvenile fiction, contains an excellent, unintentional, treatise about computer hacking. In 1962, before there were computer hackers, Heinlein discusses one of the most obvious flaws of most computer security - the fact that only one, of many, ways into a system are blocked. This continues to be true, today...

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”