• In total there are 21 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Borderline Personality Disorder...?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder...?

Unread post

DWill wrote: Activists within the mental health movement are often themselves anti-DSM. They resent so much labeling. There is still quite a bit of suspicion about the true motives of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals.
It's always seemed to me that psychiatrists (moreso than therapists) are more likely to label someone as having such and such disorder because it makes it easier for them to treat a patient without having to listen to them. Once they've put you in one of their neatly defined little boxes, they treat you as they would treat anyone in that box, without necessarily listening to each patient's specific complaints. This isn't always so, but it has long been my experience with psychiatrists that they don't have enough time to actually listen to problems and all they want to do is figure out which medicine to throw at you, and oftentimes they don't listen to patient complaints when their medicine of choice doesn't work for them. I once had side effects from a medication that the drug label told me to seek immediate attention for and to stop taking the drug immediately if I experienced them, but when I informed my psychiatrist that I was experiencing them, he told me to hang on for a few more days and see if it cleared up and the medication helped at all. I listened to him, against my better judgment, and the side effects worsened to the point where I was in more agony than without it, and it was then that I told my psychiatrist I was stopping the medication and didn't want to hear any of his other suggestions (this was also the second time a medication he'd suggested caused more pain than help). Needless to say I found a new psychiatrist, one who has been more receptive to what I experience on the medications he prescribes, and who is open to changing the med course when I feel a certain path isn't working.

In general, I find that psychiatrists are really only good for prescribing meds, and the trick then is to find one who will listen to patients' concerns and make changes accordingly. I've found that therapists are more helpful in the long run, because they have the time and patience to listen to your problems and work through them, regardless of the label you've been given. They keep it in mind, yes, but they don't use it as blinders and refuse to hear complaints that may have nothing to do with the diagnosis itself. Not everyone needs medication, so psychiatrists aren't always necessary, but if you do need meds it's good to find someone who will listen despite their hectic schedule and pet diagnoses and pre-formed treatment plans. Beware of a doctor having a "favorite" medication, because that may mean that they are going to find a way to get you to take it whether it would be helpful for you or not. I've gotten so savvy in the medical area because I research everything about my disorder and possible treatments, so I know everything about every drug they could possibly throw at me so that I know what I'm getting into. Otherwise, I'm at the mercy of people who only see me for less than 30 minutes every month or so, and they don't know anything about what I go through day to day. It's good to stay informed and to have a healthy relationship with a doctor, if possible. There are always others, so if one isn't working out don't be scared to find another.

Mental illnesses are not fun, no matter what the diagnosis or label, I can tell you that much. Being insightful only makes it worse, too, because I know all of my problems and where they come from but that doesn't make it any easier to fix them. But I digress, and no more whining.

That being said, I've read some of the proposed changes to the DSM. Most of them have nothing to do with me, but it does have the autism community in uproar because they're proposing to do away with Asberger's Syndrome as a diagnosis, listing it only under "autism spectrum disorders." Both people with Asperger's and people with more severe autism (and those who care for them) are angry about this, because it will lump them all into one category and could possibly hinder assistance to one group or another and will hinder newer research into autism because with Asberger's grouped with autism, the research will be skewed in one wrong direction or another. Change is always bound to hurt someone, I fear, and I'm curious to see what changes will be accepted and what will be kept the same.
hmrush
Gaining experience

Unread post

I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder three years ago, and have been in therapy since then. I am also on mood stabilizers which really do help with a lot of the symptoms. The best advice I can give is to Not look up symptoms online, but to go to a professional, a counselour or therapist. I see a psycho-therapist who is really well known in my area and he has done amazing things to help me, but the condition is by no means curable. The reason I do not suggest looking it up online is that some of the sites (even medical ones) tend to generalize and if you already think you have it, you may have a tendency to over think your own symptoms. BPD is a very serious diagnosis, more so than many people think, and you should definitely not leave it untreated if you think you have it.

Some of the things that therapy can help with is recognizing your triggers, and avoiding them. Figuring out the different sides of your personality and learning to control them. To realize when you are self-destructing, and to figure out why you do it. To learn human relation skills, how to interact in an appropriate way, and to channel your energy.

Therapy has made me a better student, writer, friend, sister, daughter, girlfriend, you name it. So check in with a good therapist, look around for one and definitely ask questions, you need someone who can recognize symptoms and personality traits quickly and someone who has experience with the management of BPD
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

In my experience if you think you have one you probably don't. Maybe you just have a tendency to worry too much and self diagnose which isn't a good idea. In my opinion.
What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Eyebrowse wrote:In my experience if you think you have one you probably don't. Maybe you just have a tendency to worry too much and self diagnose which isn't a good idea. In my opinion.
Not always the case. If the symptoms are there, there is a possibility of some kind of problem, but I agree that self-diagnosing is more harmful than helpful. If you really think there is a problem, the best thing to do is to stop reading and seek an objective, professional opinion. The more you read about an illness on your own, the more you can convince yourself you have it, even to the point where you develop symptoms of a disorder you don't actually have simply because you think you have it. This happens a lot with hypochondriacs, who work themselves into elevated stress states and develop symptoms of something they believe they have. The mind is a curious thing.
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

My interest in your post was your use of the term "Borderline Personality Disorder, that's a general term isn't it rather than one that specifies a particular disorder ?

You see I'm loathe to trust the authenticity of many of the personality disorders and regard some of them as an excuse for bad behaviour in some cases, especially considering they were largely thought up in the aftermath of this experiment below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

An attempt to overhaul the old ways and come up with something better and new. Restore people's faith in the psychiatric profession so to speak as it had taken quite a dent.

After coming across this experiment a few years ago I haven't really been able to take seriously the authority of many of the modern thinkers in the psychiatric profession from the early seventies until the present day. I mean people tend to forget that pre seventies psychiatry made quite fair use of electroconvulsive therapy and lobotomy procedures. But suddenly in the late seventies and eighties they begin to amazingly get it absolutely right and come up with all these foolproof theories about people having what they call a "personality disorder".

I don't buy it do you ?
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Eyebrowse wrote:My interest in your post was your use of the term "Borderline Personality Disorder, that's a general term isn't it rather than one that specifies a particular disorder ?

You see I'm loathe to trust the authenticity of many of the personality disorders and regard some of them as an excuse for bad behaviour in some cases, especially considering they were largely thought up in the aftermath of this experiment below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

An attempt to overhaul the old ways and come up with something better and new. Restore people's faith in the psychiatric profession so to speak as it had taken quite a dent.

After coming across this experiment a few years ago I haven't really been able to take seriously the authority of many of the modern thinkers in the psychiatric profession from the early seventies until the present day. I mean people tend to forget that pre seventies psychiatry made quite fair use of electroconvulsive therapy and lobotomy procedures. But suddenly in the late seventies and eighties they begin to amazingly get it absolutely right and come up with all these foolproof theories about people having what they call a "personality disorder".

I don't buy it do you ?
I'm sorry, but I really do think you need to do more research before you make definite claims on things. "Borderline Personality Disorder" is a specific disorder. You can learn about it by googling it and looking into its symptoms and possible causes. It is not a diagnosis used lightly, and its treatment involves a lot of specific therapeutic methods, some of which were designed specifically to treat it.

Not everyone who seeks help for a psychological problem is diagnosed with a personality disorder. You speak as though they are handed out like lollipops for kids after getting a flu shot, but it's not nearly that negative or that loose. Many evaluations are needed before a diagnosis can be made, and most psych doctors try to do everything they can to rule out a possible disorder until it is clear that one is absolutely present. There are gray areas, of course, but the overall work is to help people as much as they are able to.

No one has forgotten the old methods, but they are no longer used as they have been proven not to be as effective as once thought. Science and psychology change as new ideas are learned and integrated over the years. Not all psychiatrists are bad, and some people legitimately do have mental illnesses which are real medical conditions that need to be treated as such in order for the patient to be able to live as successful a life as is possible, and without the doctors you are railing against, they would continue to suffer with no clue as to why and no help to improve their situation.

Just because past methods have been proven harmful or ineffective does not negate the good that the realm of psychiatry has contributed to society and continues to do. I know that it is easy to poo-poo psychiatry when you have no need of it, but those of us who rely on these doctors in order to live a healthy life have a much different take on the situation, and it is unfair to assume the whole system is faulty just because you have never had need of it. I have had both good and bad experiences with psych doctors, but still believe in their ability to help me, and my current state of health and stability are evidence that what they are doing is working.

As I believe I have said to you in several other posts, please think things through before you make definite claims about something you know little to nothing about.
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

No problem I feel for people with serious mental illness, even more so as i've had mild problems myself with my mood but that's beside the point. I stand corrected on the "borderline personality" definition.
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

whoa! sorry for all the debate on BPD! didn't mean to cause such a stir.
give me the rainbow!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

missyannlala wrote:whoa! sorry for all the debate on BPD! didn't mean to cause such a stir.
No problem at all! "Stirs" are how we learn different viewpoints and such. And I hope you got the information/suggestions you were looking for. :)
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I did get all the help/info I was looking for. I feel less alone, and that is greater than anything else I imagine.
give me the rainbow!

Return to “Everything Else”