• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Shutter Island

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Re: Shutter Island

Unread post

sometimes I wish that I had read the book before I had seen the movie. I am trying to read The Constant Gardener and already I am liking the movie more. It is one of my favorite movies.
I decided to watch Shutter Island and I never did finish the book....
most of the time I think that the book is better than the movie. I don't know if I will make it through The Constant Gardener without great bias now. what does everyone else think? Book first? or movie?
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

farmgirlshelley wrote:what does everyone else think? Book first? or movie?
I'm going to have to say, either read the book, or see the movie, because if you do both, one of them is bound to dissapoint you. A great author can create amazing images using language that cannot be duplicated on screen. And oftentimes, what our imaginations produce is better than anything a director can offer. Can you imagine a movie of Dante's "Divine Comedy"? Actually, I can, it played in my head as I was reading it. Our imaginations are too vast and deep to be captured on film.
johnson1010 wrote:I called the twist pretty early, though.
And did you shout it out for all to hear like my husband did? :lol:
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

haha, no.

I kept it under wraps.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I thought the ending of the movie was different from the book as well Wilde. Tell me if I'm crazy, or seeing things that are not really there, but
Spoiler
while watching the end of the movie, did you get the sense that the "experiment" actually did work, and he choose his fate? This is a debate I'm having with my husband. I felt that he finally accepted the truth and choose to have the "operation" to erase the pain from his mind. Or, he choose it because he is could not tolerate what he had become and was afraid that he would relapse again. He seemed very clear headed at the end. Is this possible?[spoiler]
Spoiler
Yes, it did seem like he chose his fate at the end of the movie, whereas the book makes it seem like he did have another regression. (Although, that's just my interpretation; it does seem like an open-ended novel) I'd have to say you're both right, actually. He finally accepted the truth of who/what he was. I did remember him saying something.. I can't remember exactly, but he compared himself to a monster or something. It sounded like he believed he should be killed.

....This reminds me, the DVD came out recently, right? I should go buy it and refresh my memory. :lol:

I saw it with my dad right after it came out, because I liked the book and told him it was a really good, fast-paced book, but he'd have to pay attention because there's a LOT of twists. (Seriously. Wow.) He was still kind of confused at the end, but I think it's just one of those "you'd have to read the book" things. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I agree with your take on the end of the movie, Suzanne. My boyfriend and I had that same debate. Additionally, I think that was the real "twist"... I think it was pretty obvious throughout the movie that things were not exactly as they seem.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Yes!
Spoiler
"I would rather die a good man, than live as a monster" Ooo, talking in spoilers, how fun! :lol:
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I thought the ending of the movie was different from the book as well Wilde. Tell me if I'm crazy, or seeing things that are not really there, but
Spoiler
while watching the end of the movie, did you get the sense that the "experiment" actually did work, and he choose his fate? This is a debate I'm having with my husband. I felt that he finally accepted the truth and choose to have the "operation" to erase the pain from his mind. Or, he choose it because he is could not tolerate what he had become and was afraid that he would relapse again. He seemed very clear headed at the end. Is this possible?[spoiler]
I totally agree with you! I was thinking the same thing and I was going to turn to my boyfriend and ask him the same thing...but forgot he didn't read the book. However, the movie version..we totally agreed.
give me the rainbow!
rocio44
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i didn't even know the movie was based on a book!! Now i have to read it :)
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Gotta say that I hated this movie so much. What was that about him climbing up in a light house and the rooms getting bigger at the top? Or was that whole scene just a part of his fantasies? Anyway we both hated it. Haven't read the book. My advice would be to see a movie first and then read the book. Less disappointment that way

Oh, Suzanne, neat trick with the spoiler alert! Gotta learn to do that!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”