• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Ch. 1 - Six fingers and four breasts

#84: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
ariza
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Ch. 1 - Six fingers and four breasts

Unread post

Just finished reading this chapter. It has the same feel about it like "Sophie's Choice" with the first person narrator.

I also like the way the urban figures in this chapter: the references it makes to a world where space is at a premium to telephonic sex. It is also a world whose culture is not strictly historical - I mean, here you have a Japanese man cooking spaghetti while listening to western music and it isnt as simple as that - is it? - there is also the question of tone, of style that makes it, perhaps more accessible. But I dont want to get ahead of myself. Lets read it further.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Hah - interesting! Right now I am about half way through reading "Sophie's Choice". I can see what you mean, though I'd not noticed it myself. Something about the first person perspective, though there is still an invisible distance between the reader and the narrator. I think of Kafka and his tendency to alienate his reader but I don't think that is exactly the same thing.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Theomanic:

Wow, you have done a great job posting the chapters in "Wind Up"! Thank you Theo for being the discussion leader!

Off topic, but;
I wanted to ask you something, I know I said that I have never read anything by Murakami, but now I'm not so sure. I read a novel not too long ago by a Japanese author about Hiroshima and the bombing. This novel was so well written, that when the bomb hit, the author discribed it in an almost poetic way. I remember reading those passages about the bombing more than once, more than twice, it was so subtle. Does this sound familiar to you at all? Has Murakami written a novel about Hiroshima? After reading a good portion of "Wind Up", this novel reminds me of his style of writing.

Boy, I need to organize my books. The stacking of books all over my house method is not working. I cannot find the book I am asking you about, although I know I own it.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I see quite few posts on this book discussion, I'd like to join but unfortunately my book still has not arrived from Amazon (tapping fingers). So maybe I'll "join" in July if folks are still around.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'm sure we'll all still be here Giselle, no worries! I look forward to hearing another perspective on this novel. :)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I'm actually listening to this novel by way of an audio downloaded from the library.

It's delightful; I wasn't sure where I was at first - thought I might have started in the wrong spot, but it makes perfect sense now.

I'm looking forward to listening to some more tomorrow night.

Once I've digested the whole chapter, I'll involve myself in the discussion here.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It should start with Toru making some spaghetti and then receiving a phone call.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the novel!
WhimsicalWonder
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

My small town library didn't have this one. I put in a request to have it sent from another library, and have yet to hear back about it. In the meantime, I'm having difficulty keeping up with all the books I've started. I seriously annoy myself sometimes. :)
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, even if you get it after the discussion officially "closes" we'll still be around to talk about it. At least I will! :D
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Yes - that's exactly where it started, with him making the spaghetti and getting the phone call.

Return to “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: A Novel - by Haruki Murakami”