• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Richard Dawkins Explains Why There Was Never a First Human Being

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Richard Dawkins Explains Why There Was Never a First Human Being

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
ant wrote:
You're that upset that Dawkins used a specific example to make his point, illustrating a theory that you supposedly agree with? As I said, the point of the thought experiment was to illustrate the gradual change that MUST have happened based on overwhelming evidence, which you say you agree with.

HEY!! READ MY LIPS!!!

I MADE IT CLEAR WHAT EXACTLY I WAS/AM DISAGREEING WITH DAWKINS HERE!
GO BACK AND READ MY POST(S). YOU ARE BEING ARGUMENTATIVE HERE FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT AND NOTHING ELSE!

I ALSO COMMENTED ABOUT WHAT THERE IS NO CLEAR EVIDENCE OF!

WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU EFFIN GET???!!!
Yeah, sorry, I still don't get it.
Homo sapiens' footprints (so to speak) do not travel back in time unambiguously to the ocean. Are you saying they do? Provide evidence for that here, please.

As I've said before, and it is something that is not in dispute, Evolution is theory laden. Saying so is not the same thing as saying it is strictly a theory. Where have I indicated the process of evolution is not true? Show me.

Again, It's not a clear linear path to the Pacific Ocean for homo sapiens. Not yet, at least.
How do we know we weren't seeded here by one of Interbane's ET planets?

We gather as much empirical evidence as we can and create a narrative we hope has enough explanatory vigor.
Historical interpretation is inductive. Can you tell me how it is we arrive at objective truth from inductive processes?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: Homo sapiens' footprints (so to speak) do not travel back in time unambiguously to the ocean. Are you saying they do? Provide evidence for that here, please.
The theory and facts that you say you agree with would say that yes, they do travel back to the ocean. What is another possibility that is consistent with all that is known of biology?
Even if that were true, evolution still happened.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
ant wrote: Homo sapiens' footprints (so to speak) do not travel back in time unambiguously to the ocean. Are you saying they do? Provide evidence for that here, please.
The theory and facts that you say you agree with would say that yes, they do travel back to the ocean. What is another possibility that is consistent with all that is known of biology?
You ignored a question. I'll take that as an admission of ignorance on your part. That is not a bad thing.

Wiki:
Evidence from the fossil record

There is little fossil evidence for the divergence of the gorilla, chimpanzee and hominin lineages.[25][26] The earliest fossils that have been proposed as members of the hominin lineage are Sahelanthropus tchadensis dating from 7 million years ago, and Orrorin tugenensis dating from 5.7 million years ago and Ardipithecus kadabba dating to 5.6 million years ago. Each of these have been argued to be a bipedal ancestor of later hominins, but in each cases the claims have been contested. It is also possible that either of these species are ancestors of another branch of African apes, or that they represent a shared ancestor between hominins and other apes. The question of the relation between these early fossil species and the hominin lineage is still to be resolved

How does little fossil evidence related to hominin lineages impact a factual claim that homo sapiens have a fish as a grandfather?

How do unanswered questions related to the relation between early fossil species and the hominin lineage affect a claim that it is a FACT our greats grandfather was a fish?

Can we say that evolution is both fact and theory? -
A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment"

Based on that definition, do we have a well-substantiated explanation of the lineage of homo sapiens?
If you say yes, then you are denying that the hominin lineage is unresolved. That is contrary to what science says.
Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
Who's evolution? ET's or Man's?

What evidence do you have that evolution as we currently understand it would have been the same for homo sapiens if ET was responsible in some way?

Do you think if there's life in other parts of the universe evolution would be the same for it as it is here?
If so, what evidence do you have to support that claim?

You are flirting with omniscient knowledge here.
Do you expect me to believe your propositions without a shred of evidence to back them?
Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: You ignored a question. I'll take that as an admission of ignorance on your part. That is not a bad thing.
You want evidence that all organisms are descended from ancestors in the water? Would you like me to paste in an evolution textbook or some Wiki pages?
ant wrote: It is also possible that either of these species are ancestors of another branch of African apes, or that they represent a shared ancestor between hominins and other apes. The question of the relation between these early fossil species and the hominin lineage is still to be resolved[/b]

How does little fossil evidence related to hominin lineages impact a factual claim that homo sapiens have a fish as a grandfather?
It doesn't. Why would it? Obviously no one is claiming that the evolutionary tree has been completely constructed.

If you think the theory that life started in the water and evolved from there is controversial, the burden of proof is on you. It is my understanding that this is part of what scientists consider to be a fact, and is based on fossil and DNA evidence, as well as things like biogeography and developmental biology. Aren't you agreeing with these basic facts of evolution?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

the burden of proof is on you
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, Dexter.
I'll take your burden off your back again.

Hot potato!!
Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
the burden of proof is on you
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, Dexter.
I'll take your burden off your back again.

Hot potato!!
OK, well first you admit that you accept evolution and then you want to question what every evolutionary biologist considers to be uncontroversial facts. Nothing wrong with questioning, but are you still confused about burden of proof?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I found your greats grandfather

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Good Lord, Ant.

There's no theory proposing that humans evolved on a separate track than all other life forms. This demonstrates an astonishing level of denial and ignorance on your part. Whether you're a Creationist or not, you're certainly very motivated to not look at the evidence.

How do you account for the fact that humans share about 99 percent of DNA with chimpanzees? We're all hominids. Indeed, chimpanzees and bonobos are more closely related to humans than they are to gorillas.

"Along with the common chimpanzee, the bonobo is the closest extant relative to humans." (Wikipedia article on Bonobos)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

I have to say, it's good to know where you're coming from though. Your position has never made any sense until now. By the way, I heartily recommend The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond. It's a wonderful book.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

deleted
Last edited by geo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Science & Technology”