• In total there are 30 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Have you read the whole Bible?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Have you read the whole Bible?

Unread post

Penelope wrote:The Buddhist nuns, where I have been to meditation, say that it is no use to speak to people about spiritual matters until they are ready. If you try to speak before that, it just makes them angry. No use at all. Of course they believe in reincarnation and that all our souls are immortal, so there’s plenty of time from their point of view. Although they believe in Karma so you can go on suffering for a long, long time if you have an unkind nature.

I think it depends on what one is seeking. My search was for enlightenment, you know, ‘why?’ Rather than ‘how’. I think I’m more interested in seeking peace just now.

I was rather pleased about the Hadron Collider, and the search for the Higgs Boson, which they called the God particle. But then, that’s just labelling isn’t it?
It is, yes.

I have claimed to have had an apotheosis. I have no proof of course. I class that as enlightenment. It did not bring peace. It brought war.

If it is peace you want, not to be ignorant here, then you want death.

Life craves drama and war is the epitome of drama. God, is war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

Regards
DL
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Oooh, you are a misery Bishop ! I have been thinking about you this morning whilst having a peaceful walk around the grounds of a local stately home, Dunham Massey. The winter gardens were a treat. I was thinking about the famous epistle of St. Paul, Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels.....etc. I’m sure you know it. Anyway, the word in the King James Version is ‘charity’ and that is often substituted by the word ‘love’. But I was thinking that if we substituted charity for the word ‘kindness’. It makes a whole lot more sense.

We do make our own conflict, I agree with that because peace is boring. But we also crave security and we really can’t have both. I like peace anyway and I don’t crave excitement anymore.

I have become quite deaf over the last six months and so it really is rather peaceful.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Oooh, you are a misery Bishop ! I have been thinking about you this morning whilst having a peaceful walk around the grounds of a local stately home, Dunham Massey. The winter gardens were a treat. I was thinking about the famous epistle of St. Paul, Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels.....etc. I’m sure you know it. Anyway, the word in the King James Version is ‘charity’ and that is often substituted by the word ‘love’. But I was thinking that if we substituted charity for the word ‘kindness’. It makes a whole lot more sense.

We do make our own conflict, I agree with that because peace is boring. But we also crave security and we really can’t have both. I like peace anyway and I don’t crave excitement anymore.

I have become quite deaf over the last six months and so it really is rather peaceful.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Oooh, you are a misery Bishop ! I have been thinking about you this morning whilst having a peaceful walk around the grounds of a local stately home, Dunham Massey. The winter gardens were a treat. I was thinking about the famous epistle of St. Paul, Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels.....etc. I’m sure you know it. Anyway, the word in the King James Version is ‘charity’ and that is often substituted by the word ‘love’. But I was thinking that if we substituted charity for the word ‘kindness’. It makes a whole lot more sense.

You will not like a new O.P. that I am working on.

Is war more good than evil? Should we war against the .001%?

http://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-ame ... ing-fact-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmc72fCJivA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

There is only one way of winning the heart and soul of another person; by force of ideas.

I submit that the world needs to war. War, first of ideas, --- wars of words, verbal war, debate and discussion, --- should first be tried to bring our demography into a better and more equitable form and balance. As a last resort a physical wars, force of arms, if required, should be waged against the .001%, if diplomacy fails. This is the only way to bring the greed of the .001% to heel and reunite them with the rest of humanity.

The goal of debate and discussion, a war of words, is to find truths that can be agreed upon. We are presently not even approaching to the .001 % for discussion.

Are we all living in cowed fear of our owners?

Should the vast majority of us not reclaim the economy we support or should we let the greedy .001% have it all?

Is our world, our humanity; not even worth fighting for?

Regards
DL
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I am a trifle gobsmacked at that last post. It is interesting that since I was a child in the Church of England, I have hated the hymn, Fight the good Fight with all thy might. I believe that if we think life is going to be a fight, then it will be.

I don’t think certainty is a very good thing, because with certainty comes the inquisition. This seems to be where you are going. I like that God is a mystery and I don’t want it all categorised and pigeon holed.

I don’t think we can, as ordinary people, win hearts and souls. Only God can do that. We can demonstrate the way. Words don’t work because they become ‘jargon ‘ and are despised.

I believe that we can win people by kindness. I’ll give you an instance; I found it hard to feel any kindness, or indeed pray for some greedy, selfish and very, very powerful people, heads of state in this world today. But one lady on the internet said to me, ‘Think of them surrounded by darkness, as they are, poor souls. Pray for a glimmer of light to reach them. Don’t let them steal your joy. Joy comes from within of course, not the same as happiness. I would be happy if there were no hungry children in the world, but my joy comes from within me.

Love Pen. Xxx
Last edited by Penelope on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I am a trifle gobsmacked at that last post. It is interesting that since I was a child in the Church of England, I have hated the hymn, Fight the good Fight with all thy might. I believe that if we think life is going to be a fight, then it will be.

I don’t think certainty is a very good thing, because with certainty comes the inquisition. This seems to be where you are going. I like that God is a mystery and I don’t want it all categorised and pigeon holed.

I don’t think we can, as ordinary people, win hearts and souls. Only God can do that. We can demonstrate the way. Words don’t work because they become ‘jargon ‘ and are despised.

I believe that we can win people by kindness. I’ll give you an instance; I found it hard to feel any kindness, or indeed pray for some greedy, selfish and very, very powerful people, heads of state in this world today. But one lady on the internet said to me, ‘Think of them surrounded by darkness, as they are, poor souls. Pray for a glimmer of light to reach them. Don’t let them steal your joy. Joy comes from within of course, not the same as happiness. I would be happy if there were no hungry children in the world, but my joy comes from within me.

Love Pen. Xxx

Rafael Sabatini
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I am a trifle gobsmacked at that last post. It is interesting that since I was a child in the Church of England, I have hated the hymn, Fight the good Fight with all thy might. I believe that if we think life is going to be a fight, then it will be.

Love Pen. Xxx
For evil to grow, all good people need do is not fight the good verbal fight against evil people.

If you live by the Golden Rule, then you should not be able to abide injustice to those who are discriminated against without a just cause, like women and gays whom the religions target.

Regards
DL
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I don’t know where you live, but gay people are quite accepted here. Women’s lib is fighting for equal pay.

In recent history the man went out to work and the woman stayed home to look after the children and home. This has changed largely for financial reasons I think, but I really don’t think it’s anything to fight or go to war about. I loved being at home and caring for my children so I don’t understand those who don’t want to do it.

Women are equal but different in my opinion.

Rafael Sabatini
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I don’t know where you live, but gay people are quite accepted here. Women’s lib is fighting for equal pay.

In recent history the man went out to work and the woman stayed home to look after the children and home. This has changed largely for financial reasons I think, but I really don’t think it’s anything to fight or go to war about. I loved being at home and caring for my children so I don’t understand those who don’t want to do it.

Women are equal but different in my opinion.
I was talking a war of words.

If you have female grand children and you do not take on the cause for equality and against misogyny and homophobia, then all you are doing is passing your battle to them.

Regards
DL
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I suppose it depends on where you live and whom you encounter. I can’t say I’ve seen discrimination against gay people during my adult life.

The feminist movement are slogging away for equality but it’s a long battle.

I prefer to fight for animal rights and take a stand against factory farming and barbaric practices towards animals.

Also work against the pollution of our planet with single use plastic.

However, I don’t advocate violence, and I teach my children and grandchildren thus. No good ever comes from acts of violence. It is always the innocent who suffer.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”