• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Hot 100

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: The Hot 100

Unread post

The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere
This long poem by Coleridge is one of the greats. I’ve read it again now, available at http://www.online-literature.com/coleridge/646/ and would like to highlight some themes. It tells the story of how a ‘greybeard loon’ stops a wedding guest to tell him of his travels to the southern ocean. Please now, read the poem yourself, because I will summarise it.
The mariner kills an albatross and brings a foul curse upon the ship. This is the source of the famous image of an albatross hanging about the neck of a cursed person. He alone of all the crew, like Ulysses, returns to his homeland, after adventures with death and beauty, finding redemption in atonement to nature. What appeals to me is that the poem, written in 1797, presents the imagination of an Englishman inspired by Captain James Cook, who claimed Australia for Britain. The colonial adventurers and explorers in the age of discovery symbolised man’s imperial conquest of nature, but the albatross symbolises the mysterious danger of the friendly unknown, able to wreak havoc when crossed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rime_o ... Background says Cook’s astronomer was Coleridge’s tutor, hence the vivid and realistic imagery.
Now to the text
“`By thy long grey beard and glittering eye, Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?”
Reminds me of Merlin, or Gandalf. Coleridge had an eye for magic, and the glittering eye tells of unknown secrets.
"There was a ship," quoth he. `Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!' Eftsoons his hand dropped he. He holds him with his glittering eye - The Wedding-Guest stood still, And listens like a three years' child: The Mariner hath his will.
Coleridge is drawing us into the spell of the lunatic, perhaps against our better judgment.
The sun came up upon the left, Out of the sea came he! And he shone bright, and on the right Went down into the sea. Higher and higher every day, Till over the mast at noon -".
What this means is that the journey starts in the northern hemisphere, where the sun rises on the left, and heads south to the tropics. Later, when the sun rises on the right, we are in the southern hemisphere. This sense of planetary dimension was quite new in Coleridge’s day, Cook being the first to have reached the Southern Ocean. Most people now are still disoriented by the idea that in the other hemisphere the sun appears to travel in the opposite direction.
The ship drove fast, loud roared the blast, And southward aye we fled. And now there came both mist and snow, And it grew wondrous cold: And ice, mast-high, came floating by, As green as emerald.
Imagine Coleridge at the knee of Cook’s astronomer, hearing strange tales of emerald icebergs. This derring-do reminds of the discovery of strange animals and cultures from the far flung reaches of the globe.
At length did cross an Albatross, Thorough the fog it came; As it had been a Christian soul, We hailed it in God's name.
An animal with soul, rather heretical, but expressive of the wonder of exploration.
In mist or cloud, on mast or shroud, It perched for vespers nine;
The bird joins the ship for nine days
"With my crossbow I shot the Albatross."
But the Mariner kills it.
"The sun now rose upon the right: Out of the sea came he,
In the southern hemisphere
And I had done a hellish thing, And it would work 'em woe: For all averred, I had killed the bird That made the breeze to blow.
A magical suggestion, the mystery of nature wreaks its vengeance on the arrogant
Day after day, day after day, We stuck, nor breath nor motion; As idle as a painted ship Upon a painted ocean. Water, water, every where, And all the boards did shrink; Water, water, every where, Nor any drop to drink..
Such famous lines. It reminds that you can drink sea water a hundred miles off the coast of the Amazon River, such is its mighty size carrying one third of the world’s river flow.
Instead of the cross, the Albatross About my neck was hung."
The famous image
How fast she nears and nears! Are those her sails that glance in the sun, Like restless gossameres? Are those her ribs through which the sun Did peer, as through a grate? And is that Woman all her crew? Is that a Death? and are there two? Is Death that Woman's mate?
The ghost ship
Four times fifty living men, (And I heard nor sigh nor groan) With heavy thump, a lifeless lump, They dropped down one by one. The souls did from their bodies fly, - They fled to bliss or woe! And every soul it passed me by, Like the whizz of my crossbow!"
His shipmates all die.
I fear thee and thy glittering eye, And thy skinny hand, so brown.' - "Fear not, fear not, thou Wedding-Guest! This body dropped not down.
Fearing the mariner is a ghost, the wedding guest is assured the bard is among the living.
Beyond the shadow of the ship I watched the water-snakes: ... O happy living things! no tongue Their beauty might declare: A spring of love gushed from my heart, And I blessed them unaware: Sure my kind saint took pity on me, And I blessed them unaware. The selfsame moment I could pray; And from my neck so free The Albatross fell off, and sank
Like lead into the sea."
Blessing the snakes, atoning to nature, lifts the curse.
The loud wind never reached the ship, Yet now the ship moved on!
The empty vessel leaves the doldrums with its lone loon aboard among the corpses.
The dead men gave a groan. They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spake, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise. The helmsman steered, the ship moved on; Yet never a breeze up blew; The mariners all 'gan work the ropes, Where they were wont to do; They raised their limbs like lifeless tools - We were a ghastly crew.
Zombie ship
still the sails made on A pleasant noise till noon, A noise like of a hidden brook In the leafy month of June, That to the sleeping woods all night Singeth a quiet tune.
Lovely
Under the keel nine fathom deep, From the land of mist and snow, The spirit slid: and it was he That made the ship to go.
The cursed albatross spirit remains with him as the spectral motive power.
The spirit who bideth by himself In the land of mist and snow, He loved the bird that loved the man Who shot him with his bow.'
This image is of Gaia, earth goddess and lover of nature, with power of revenge on those who breach her trust.
Oh! dream of joy! is this indeed The lighthouse top I see? Is this the hill? is this the kirk?
Is this mine own country?
Ulysses reaches Ithaca
straight a sound was heard. Under the water it rumbled on, Still louder and more dread: It reached the ship, it split the bay; The ship went down like lead. Stunned by that loud and dreadful sound, Which sky and ocean smote, Like one that hath been seven days drowned My body lay afloat; But swift as dreams, myself I found Within the Pilot's boat.
The ship sinks and the mariner is rescued.
Farewell, farewell! but this I tell To thee, thou Wedding-Guest! He prayeth well, who loveth well Both man and bird and beast. He prayeth best, who loveth best All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all."
The moral of the story is to love nature.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tremendous, Robert, many thanks. He tells us to love nature because, since God loves all creatures whom he made, so should we. He mingles pantheism with his unorthodox Christianity, and it works. Coleridge's role in the collaboration with Wordsworth was to mine supernatural subjects in order to show the common emotions of humans, while Wordsworth's was to show that the deepest poetry lay in common life and speech.

By the way, for all heavy metal fans, Iron Maiden did a 10-minute song based on "The Rime."
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote: Iron Maiden did a 10-minute song based on "The Rime."
Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA&NR=1
Lyrics: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... d10027a2b3
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I am so inspired by the discussion of The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere, that I feel compelled to read it start to finish. What better way can there be to spend a day home sick from work, than reading in bed.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Saffron: I do hope you are feeling better by now. :kiss:

I have read the Ancient Mariner this evening - and then I read Robert's Study Guide.

I don't think I'd pass an exam if this were the syllabus but I think I appreciate it more than I did.

Thanks Robert.

It reminds me of some of my more eccentric clients at the shop:

Next time one of them comes in and says they want a book about a boat trip - they don't know the title or the author - but they tell me the whole story and then say it had a blue dustwrapper.....do I think we have a copy, I will reply,

`Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!' :lol:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: There was an 1887 edition illustrated with Gustav Dore prints that is a treat to read. You can see the pictures at http://www.artsycraftsy.com/dore_mariner.html. Maybe we'll just mull it over and have another poem on Wednesday if nobody has a chance to read about the old sailor.
Thanks for the link. I'd love to get my hands on the book. I'm just about done reading the poem -- a little spot of fun for a sick day in bed.
Dawn

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Wow, Robert, what a synopsis! Thanks. The moral seems a little more complicated to me though than merely to love nature. Something like, the one who loves is more in sync with God, who is love. To love His creation is part of being rightly related to Him (prayer being indicative of relating to God). Is that reading too much into those sweet last lines? I admit to not knowing much about the era or author... Thanks again for all your footwork!
"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."--Jesus
"For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."--Jesus
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

If nobody (except saffron) had a chance to read "The Ancient Mariner" (hereafter to be known as "The Graybeard Loon" after Penelope's suggestion), there was less damage because Robert's synopsis was a darn good stand-in.

83. "Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes," by Thomas Gray. I wondered if this poem might be the origin of the famous saying in the last line, but no, it's more ancient than that. This is a witty, mock-heroic poem, but I feel sorry for the kitty.

Twas on a lofty vase's side,
Where China's gayest art had dyed
The azure flowers that blow;
Demurest of the tabby kind,
The pensive Selima, reclined,
Gazed on the lake below.

Her conscious tail her joy declared;
The fair round face, the snowy beard,
The velvet of her paws,
Her coat, that with the tortoise vies,
Her ears of jet, and emerald eyes,
She saw: and purred applause.

Still had she gazed; but 'midst the tide
Two angel forms were seen to glide,
The Genii of the stream;
Their scaly armour's Tyrian hue
Thro' richest purple to the view
Betrayed a golden gleam.

The hapless nymph with wonder saw:
A whisker first and then a claw,
With many an ardent wish,
She stretched in vain to reach the prize.
What female heart can gold despise?
What cat's averse to fish?

Presumptuous maid! with looks intent
Again she stretched, again she bent,
Nor knew the gulf between.
(Malignant Fate sat by, and smiled)
The slippery verge her feet beguiled,
She tumbled headlong in.

Eight times emerging from the flood
She mewed to every watery god,
Some speedy aid to send.
No Dolphin came, no Nereid stirred;
Nor cruel Tom, nor Susan heard.
A favorite has no friend!

From hence, ye beauties, undeceived,
Know, one false step is ne'er retrieved,
And be with caution bold.
Not all that tempts your wandering eyes
And heedless hearts is lawful prize,
Nor all, that glisters, gold.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I enjoyed this poem so much. 3 dings

All that glisters is not gold comes from - The Merchant of Venice, so I think Thomas Gray was referencing that, because I'm sure he'd know the Shakespeare plays by then.

The poor little cat came up eight times - so they must have know the saying that a cat has nine lives, too. I didn't know that went back to the 18th century.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

This one was hard to read--I couldn't even watch "Lassie" or "Flipper" as a child because I was afraid something was going to happen to one of the animals. But I'll give it 2 1/2 dings. Penelope, good point about the nine lives! And I'll never be able to read Coleridge again without cracking up about the Greybeard Loon!
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”