• In total there are 79 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Prominent Scientists and their religiosity

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Re: Prominent Scientists and their religiosity

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Are you sure? Could the reason for the strong convictions not be that they are fabricated to gain further believers? Are you sure you're even reading the testimony of the supposed witnesses? If so, are you sure they weren't tampered with to increase believability in the story? Can a person not fake strong conviction to start a movement? For each of your answers, is there sufficient reason to be sure, or is it based on weak reasoning? That's not an insult, we all use weak reasoning at times.
Might you be using weak reasoning here?

Essentially your argument is the creation of doubt through the suggestion of 'possibilities.' These possibilities lack any evidential support however.

Any hypothetical reason for the fabricating of stories runs into problems of motivation, absence of historical evidence, and just simply late attribution.

If there was benefit for the disciples, we might postulate reasons for fabrication. But any small gains they might have made were offset by the huge downsides to their espousal of Christianity. These disciples were exiled from their communities (a huge deal in the ancient world), persecuted by both religious and secular authorities, tortured and eventually killed for their faith. Yet we have no historical evidence that any of the 12 disciples or Paul recanted or denied what they saw and heard.

Jesus and the movement he started was certainly not popular. The Roman political powers of the day viewed them as an Atheist cult. The Jews religious leadership evicted them from the synagogues and persecuted them. If there had been any real question of Jesus' disciples fabricating the story, we would have some textual evidence of it.

We have surviving Rabbinic criticism of Jesus, but this does not suggest that his disciples fabricated things. We have surviving Roman condemnations of Christianity, but again there is no suggestion that the disciples fabricated Jesus' teachings.

Even the suggestion that the disciples fabricated the story does not appear till the modern era. It isn't based upon any new evidence, but rather upon doubt that Christianity can be true.

You are absolutely correct that there are possible questions in regards to Christianity, but if you look at this assertion of fabrication it really lacks any evidence.

You noted your reliance upon formal logic earlier. What formal logical chain leads you to suggest that the disciples fabricated the story? Please refer to this website to make sure you don't include any logical fallacies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... _fallacies 8)
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

@ Robert Tulip

I would hope that I've informed as well as entertained. :)

You do a nice summary of some of the tangible benefits of Christianity. While I would in large part agree with you, this does not take us away from the core issue.

Are the claims of Christianity true?
In part, I'm referring to the events referred to in the New Testament, but in a broader sense I'm referring to the claims of Jesus Christ to be the only hope for reconciliation with a living God.

If this claim is not true, then any benefits of Christianity are 'nice,' but inherently flawed. If the claims of the Bible are false, then quite frankly the whole thing should be done away with as a fraud.

I think there are very real critiques against belief in what the Bible asserts, but I do not think that rationality/science is really one of them. All these can do is say that we cannot prove or disprove the claims of the Bible. This does not (obviously) make the claims of the Bible true, but it does mean that other means are required for us to make the decision.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Essentially your argument is the creation of doubt through the suggestion of 'possibilities.' These possibilities lack any evidential support however.
I haven't created doubt in myself. It's been there for quite a while, nothing has changed. I've seen all those possibilities for quite a while as well. Is this your first time considering them? They don't go away if you ignore them.

I consider all the stories men have believed of myth and legend. All the gods that men have dreamed up. All the rare creatures, flood stories, rebirth stories, etc. I love the example of L. Ron Hubbard, I'm not sure how he pulled off creating a religion in modern times. You'd hope humanity would have become wiser over time.

My point in mentioning that isn't the veracity of all the millions of fantastical claims there are. My point is that someone had to believe it first to spread the story. Or if they didn't believe it, they were a very good liar and never fessed up. In all those fantastical claims, one of the many possibilities is that they are true. But without some evidence, we have no way to filter out the false possibilities.

Is the track record of man's tendency to bear false witness an acceptable piece of evidence for the possibilities I mention? Perhaps, perhaps not. You decide. What's more important is the evidence you have that your possibility is the true one. I have no problem remaining agnostic on the issue, or changing my mind if you give me some solid stuff.
You noted your reliance upon formal logic earlier. What formal logical chain leads you to suggest that the disciples fabricated the story? Please refer to this website to make sure you don't include any logical fallacies:
My remark was a bit different than it came across. What I meant was, if I do rely on formal logic, the reason is simply that it works so well. If you remember, I went on to mention my taste for informal logic. Even redneck reasoning is okay, which is what I thought I used last post and am using this post. I assumed you didn't want to see formal logic, I apologize.

Premise: It is common for men to write false explanations and testimonies with the intent of others believing them.
Premise: The testimonies in the bible were written with the intent of others believing them.
Conclusion: It is possible the writings attributed to the authors of the bible are, in part, false.

I can sit comfortably in the agnostic position here Doulos. I'm not trying to prove that my possibility is more likely than yours. I'm sure I could make a very strong case, and Robert Tulip could do even better. I was only questioning your claim to certainty with regards to the "truthfulness of events". I want to see how you justify that certainty.
Why on earth would courts use such a method when it can lead to possible error in judgement? Why not rely upon formal logic? You said yourself that logic, "...is so reliable in achieving truthful results." Were the framers of our court systems complete and utter idiots?

...or did they merely realize that formal logic cannot always answer questions like those which appear in courts?
The courts do use logic, extensively. If a jury made an error per my previous post, then why would you be sarcastic towards logic? If they had recognized the contradiction, their error would have been prevented. That is a pro for logic, not a con. :|

I'm sure there are many more logical rules and fallacies that are as reliable as the rest that we haven't yet discovered. The ones we do have don't apply to all reasoning, but when they do apply, we'd be foolish not to use them.

If you feel browbeaten by our extensive use of logic, then I apologize. I truly don't use it all that often. Only when it applies. I explained my argument in detail in this post and the previous post without using formal logic. Isn't that what you're looking for? I won't use formal logic anymore, if that suits you. If you commit a fallacy, I'll use the reasoning behind the fallacy(they weren't accepted worldwide on a whim!) as my explanation. Or would you prefer I not use reasoning at all? I want to know what you're suggesting.
If there was benefit for the disciples, we might postulate reasons for fabrication.
We might also postulate reasons they weren't fabricated. Thousands of reasons I'm sure. There are thousands of reasons why they could have been fabricated. Robert Tulip could recommend some good reading. Michel Onfray wrote a very entertaining book on the possible motives of Saul of Tarsus. I'm sure if you dig, you'll find a truckload of books that outline the possibilities from every angle.

Hypothesizing doesn't do it for me Doulos, from either side of the debate. How do you know the stories aren't fabricated, at least in part? The reverse is true as well. If anyone reading these posts claims to know the stories are fabricated, I'd ask how.
Might you be using weak reasoning here?
No, every sentence in the quoted paragraph was a question. I was using weak questioning. Why didn't you answer my weak questions? Well, the last sentence could be weak reasoning, but by that circular admission alone it would be good reasoning, wouldn't it? :?
Even the suggestion that the disciples fabricated the story does not appear till the modern era. It isn't based upon any new evidence, but rather upon doubt that Christianity can be true.
Of course it's based on new evidence. To support that claim, I'll defer to Robert or youkrst or one of the other many MP's who frequent the site. If the disciples actually did fabricate parts of the bible, then was it fabricated from scratch? Part of the creative process is recombination of other things. If the accounts were fabricated, we could expect to see elements from similar stories from a point in time before the accounts were written.

I wonder if there is a way to steer this conversation back to Prominent Scientists and their religiosity? If you're interested in continuing the discussion, we should make a new thread.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Why would other systems be necessary? Simply because there are some things for which formal logic cannot provide answers. For fields such as Mathematics and Science, it is an essential tool. For questions such as whether the claims of the Bible are true, I'm afraid it is simply the wrong tool.
If during the course of your reasoning to support the bible, you commit a fallacy, would you ignore it? Logic doesn't apply everywhere, but it applies in many places, including attempts to support the bible. Not in all attempts, but in some. If you use reasoning that is known to lead to a false or unconnected conclusion, it's likely the bad reasoning has been standardized into a "fallacy" for easy reference. Getting defensive about the use of that reasoning is silly Doulos, it truly is.

Calling you out on a fallacy is the same exact thing as saying "the reasoning you're using has been demonstrated to be false or disconnected, unanimously, for millennia." The fallacies are mistakes in reasoning. If you vilify logic because you commit a fallacy, you're also vilifying the underlying reasoning. What else can go on in our heads to reach conclusions? Divine inspiration perhaps.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

This talk of formal logic is an unnecessary distraction. The bottom line is, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I don't care what kind of reasoning you use, everyone agrees with that or you would not be able to function in the world -- if someone tells you gravity just reversed itself so you can now step off the roof, would you look up a list of logical fallacies on Wikipedia to evaluate this claim?
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Interbane wrote:If during the course of your reasoning to support the bible, you commit a fallacy, would you ignore it? Logic doesn't apply everywhere, but it applies in many places, including attempts to support the bible. Not in all attempts, but in some. If you use reasoning that is known to lead to a false or unconnected conclusion, it's likely the bad reasoning has been standardized into a "fallacy" for easy reference. Getting defensive about the use of that reasoning is silly Doulos, it truly is.

Calling you out on a fallacy is the same exact thing as saying "the reasoning you're using has been demonstrated to be false or disconnected, unanimously, for millennia." The fallacies are mistakes in reasoning. If you vilify logic because you commit a fallacy, you're also vilifying the underlying reasoning. What else can go on in our heads to reach conclusions? Divine inspiration perhaps.
Where have I vilified logic? I've merely said that formal logic is not always applicable due to lack of logically valid evidence.

I've asked you before, I'll ask you again:
What evidence would be POSSIBLE from a formal logic perspective that could prove the reliability of Biblical claims? If there are none, or if the possibilites themselves would entail logical fallacies, then by necessity another tool would be needed.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Dexter wrote:This talk of formal logic is an unnecessary distraction. The bottom line is, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I don't care what kind of reasoning you use, everyone agrees with that or you would not be able to function in the world -- if someone tells you gravity just reversed itself so you can now step off the roof, would you look up a list of logical fallacies on Wikipedia to evaluate this claim?
I'm fine with that, though Wiki is a fun tool to have at our fingertips.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

What evidence would be POSSIBLE from a formal logic perspective that could prove the reliability of Biblical claims?
Why do you mention formal logic again? I wonder what you mean to contrast it with. Contemporary corroboration in a thousand varieties can and does qualify as good evidence, scientifically, legally, and even to rednecks. It works with formal logic as well(unless there are internal contradictions). Within that blanket statement, the corroboration of course has to be checked for authenticity.

Corroboration would not PROVE the reliability of biblical claims. That's an absurd word. But it would support the reliability. I'm agnostic towards the support the Josephus writings give. I haven't dug deep enough to see if the writings actually do corroborate the bible. But in either case, the example at least qualifies for what you're looking for. There are others as well, quite well known. Does that sufficiently answer your question?

What evidence EXISTS from your perspective that supports the reliability of biblical claims? I will respond only with redneck reasoning, and leave formal logic behind. Is that acceptable?
Where have I vilified logic? I've merely said that formal logic is not always applicable due to lack of logically valid evidence.
You haven't, I used emotional language, sorry. You're beating around the bush here Doulos. What are you trying to propose? What is it that you're hoping to contrast with 'logically valid evidence'? Of course not 'logically invalid evidence', because such evidence would be false or disconnected. Are you instead speaking of alogical evidence, where logic doesn't apply?

You need to understand that even alogical evidence cannot be contradictory or fallacious, otherwise it is by definition logical rather than alogical(logic would apply).

Come clean because we're going in circles. Disambiguate the evidence you'd prefer instead of playing games.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Doulos wrote: Are the claims of Christianity true?
In part, I'm referring to the events referred to in the New Testament, but in a broader sense I'm referring to the claims of Jesus Christ to be the only hope for reconciliation with a living God.
Doulos, the first part of your claim is a fairly simple one that comes down to whether we believe that such miracles and wonders can happen in the physical world. The second part is laden with Christian theology such that we can't even approach it if we don't accept its assumptions.
If this claim is not true, then any benefits of Christianity are 'nice,' but inherently flawed. If the claims of the Bible are false, then quite frankly the whole thing should be done away with as a fraud.
That is like C.S. Lewis, I believe. To me, it's interesting that the most important thing a religion might have going for it (according to the view you're presenting) is that certain propositions, in this case involving supernatural intervention, are true. Forgive my naivete, but why does this make such a big difference? I've never understood why such things, and not, say, the great commandment or golden rule, are the sine qua non of Christianity.
I think there are very real critiques against belief in what the Bible asserts, but I do not think that rationality/science is really one of them. All these can do is say that we cannot prove or disprove the claims of the Bible. This does not (obviously) make the claims of the Bible true, but it does mean that other means are required for us to make the decision.
Can you cite one of these credible critiques? Thanks.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Interbane wrote:You haven't, I used emotional language, sorry. You're beating around the bush here Doulos. What are you trying to propose? What is it that you're hoping to contrast with 'logically valid evidence'? Of course not 'logically invalid evidence', because such evidence would be false or disconnected. Are you instead speaking of alogical evidence, where logic doesn't apply?

You need to understand that even alogical evidence cannot be contradictory or fallacious, otherwise it is by definition logical rather than alogical(logic would apply).

Come clean because we're going in circles. Disambiguate the evidence you'd prefer instead of playing games.
Dear Lord, thank you for hearing my prayers!
I thought I was the only one seeing us spin in circles. I was going to start reposting my older posts and see if you'd notice. :D

I'm simply saying what I've been saying:
Formal logic is not always applicable due to lack of logically valid evidence.

I'm not contrasting anything. I've merely made a rather simple assertion about the nature of how we make choices.
Corroboration would not PROVE the reliability of biblical claims. That's an absurd word. But it would support the reliability. I'm agnostic towards the support the Josephus writings give. I haven't dug deep enough to see if the writings actually do corroborate the bible. But in either case, the example at least qualifies for what you're looking for. There are others as well, quite well known. Does that sufficiently answer your question?
Josephus can be used to support the existance of a man called Jesus, who founded a sect of Judaism that became Christianity. Even if Josephus said that Jesus performed miracles (which Rabbinic sources do say by the way), this would still in no way prove the reliability of biblical claims.

As you note: "Corroboration would not PROVE the reliability of biblical claims." (I'm not worried about the absurdity of a word. I understand your meaning.)

In other words, formal logic cannot give a answer here due to the nature of available evidence. Any decision about the credibility (or lack thereof) of biblical claims would have to be made on other basis.

In other words, criticising people's 'logic' in this regard is rather meaningless. Any choice either pro or con would have to be based on other (admittedly less reliable on the most part) methods.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”