• In total there are 73 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Ant said: "I believe I stated that the general consensus among historical scholars is that Christ more than likely was a true historical figure. " (sorry I do not know how to "quote" using those boxes that the rest of you do!) So Ant what would be necessary for you to change your view on the historical Jesus would be for the general consensus among historical scholars to revise their belief in a true historical Jesus? What I meant by saying "there are very few Ants out there" is simply that very few Christians could or would argue the question of a historical Jesus as fervently and intensely as you have.
It is a good idea to use the quote boxes to help show others who you are quoting. In the top right corner of each post is a box that says Quote. If you click on this box it will go straight to a reply with the quote set up as here. It is best to delete part of the quoted text to just focus on a statement you wish to discuss, or you can bold/underline the relevant part by highlighting it and using the B and u buttons in the Full Editor option for reply. Quote tags are also available as a button above the reply, but it is best to add ="Lady of Shallot" (or whoever you are quoting) in the first
copying the syntax shown from hitting the quote button in the quoted post. In this case I have edited the post to add bold and underline and delete paragraph returns.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:I'm being sincere when I say that the above makes for interesting discussion. Honestly, I would be open to reading Doherty's latest work, but right now I'm tied down with Structure of Revolutions and The Social Construction of Reality :(
The view that Jesus Christ actually existed is far and away the dominant mainstream assumption. To challenge this assumption invites ridicule and ostracism. So it is not for the faint hearted. It requires a high level of familiarity with historical data, and a willingness to look at this data to see if it can be explained in ways that make more sense than conventional opinion.

What I have found in reading books by authors such as Doherty, Freke and Gandy and Murdock is that they compile strong logical arguments using a forensic approach to evidence. It is rather like any technical scientific or historical subject - until you are acquainted with the detail of the argument, your opinion is based on prejudice rather than evidence. I don’t think that any of the mythicists have as yet moved fully from the negative task of showing that conventional opinion is wrong to the positive task of providing a fully worked out explanation of how Christianity actually developed and why the Christ myth was so seductive, but this looks to be something that is very close.

I do not argue with astronomers about relativity because they know more about it than I do. But in this case, the Christ Myth Hypothesis, we have a real problem identifying who are the relevant experts. Asking Christian theologians for their opinion would be like asking a Newtonian scientist for an opinion on relativity. New work on the topic simply has not yet found its way into the old sources.
Scholars favor the existence of H J, but also recognize that each gospel author added material evidently to prove separate theological points. However, that does not necessarily mean because there are inconsistencies throughout the gospels that we are okay to throw the baby Jesus out with his bathwater. That is a conclusion that would no doubt (and often is) be made by someone with an aversion to Christianity in general, or by someone unaware of the criteria used to determine the existence of a figure from antiquity.
The inconsistencies between the Gospels are only one among several reasons for questioning the existence of Jesus. The factual contradictions, geographical errors and imaginative miracles show that the source for the gospels is more in fantasy than in historical testimony going back to Jesus. Real testimony from real witnesses to a real crucifixion would not be liable to production of such diversity as we see between the gospels. This invites the plausible hypothesis that the events described are not real.

Just taking the example I raised before, when Jesus expels the moneychangers from the temple in Jerusalem. If Holy Week was real, as described in the Synoptics, and began with this episode in the temple and ended with the cross and resurrection, the least we could expect would be that the Christian community would preserve an accurate oral tradition regarding their main central event of faith. Instead, we find that the Gospel of John completely contradicts the other three. Instead of putting the clearing of the temple a week before the cross, John puts this main event three years earlier, at the start of his ministry. Such errors are possible when there is nobody with a real oral tradition who can correct them, but not when an actual community remembers a real event. If someone now wrote a book stating that the First World War started in 1913, they would be rapidly corrected by people who know it was 1914. But if someone said Bilbo Baggins left the shire in Third Age 2941, the need for correction would be far more hazy.

Apologists argue that Jesus cleared the temple twice. I think that is absurd.
”John2” wrote:When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”
”Mark11” wrote: 15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’[a]? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.
Wikipedia, being dominated by Christian apologists, describes these as two different events. How likely is it that Mark and John would provide such exact identical detail of two different events but both be entirely oblivious to the fact that this major activity happened twice? This shows the desperate lengths that apologists go to if they want to preserve any semblance of history in the gospels. It might look easier just to say John does not present the life of Christ chronologically, but that opens up further cans of worms and weaves a rather tangled web.

There is a very good wiki page, Gospel Harmony, which provides a portal into this whole question of logical analysis of the gospels, including links to the “First Temple Cleansing” described by John and the “Second Temple Cleansing” described in the other gospels.

Remember, we still live in a world where the phrase “Gospel Truth” is widely accepted as an idiom meaning something that is undeniable. Yet when we read the actual Gospels we find they contain much that is absurd.
Determining what happened in the past is not a matter of guess work. It is a matter of evidence. It is fair to say that you and I both agree with this reasoning. When reading a detailed, vigorous examination of evidence, you have a right to see what that evidence is. Again, I think this is something we both agree on. When examining available evidence to reconstruct the life of Jesus, we turn to the primary sources that give mention to his existence. Likening this to the investigation of a crime, we go to the scene of the crime: 1) The canonical Gospels and other writings in the New Testament 2) Gospels that did not make it into the New Testament (non canonical) 3) Pagan and Jewish sources (Josephus, Tacitus, etc) The above sources available for direct examination are the only sources available. If someone claims something about Jesus that’s not based in any of the above sources, that person is simply making it up – PERIOD
Courts do not accept hearsay as evidence. The Gospels are hearsay. They are not primary sources.

Often, evidence of a crime includes non-textual sources such as fingerprints or blood stains. In the ancient world, coins, buildings and other archaeological sources provide evidence of real people. The only such sources for Jesus Christ are, (how should we put it?), imaginary.

Despite the existence of more fragments of the True Cross than is plausible (Calvin said there is a “shipload”), Wikipedia sensitively says “their authenticity is not accepted universally”. No. The wiki page on the true cross, like the Holy Lance, is instructive regarding the construction of Christian legend.
Having said all that, look at what you wrote;
Freke and Gandy say in their excellent book The Jesus Mysteries: "Jesus surrounds himself with 12 disciples. This is usually taken to be symbolic of the 12 tribes of Israel. This notion of 12 tribes, however, is itself a symbolic reference to the 12 signs of the zodiac in Babylonian astrology, which the Jews adopted whilst in exile in Babylon. The zodiac was an extremely important symbol in the Pagan world. Osiris-Dionysis is symbolically represented as the still spiritual center of the turning wheel of change represented by the 12 signs. [...] [In] the Mysteries of Mithras 12 disciples surrounded the godman, just as the 12 disciples surrounded Jesus. The Mithraic disciples were dressed up to represent the 12 signs of the zodiac and circled the initiate, who represented Mithras himself."
What segments of the above are extracted from the available evidence we are working with?
What segments of the above are not included in the body of said evidence?
What segments of the above are simply conjecture? How about the claim "is itself a symbolic reference to the 12 signs of the zodiac"? This claim is "WHAT IF the 12 tribes of Israel is itself a symbolic reference to the 12 signs of the zodiac" conjecture.
You may recall earlier in this thread (assuming you read my posts) I cited Josephus and Philo as stating the twelve jewels on the breastplate of the Jewish High Priest are the twelve signs of the zodiac, and that Church Fathers such as Clement of Alexandria found it necessary to reject widespread gnostic teaching that the twelve disciples were the twelve signs of the zodiac. In Revelation 21, the twelve jewels are linked to the twelve tribes. You are welcome to ignore these sources if you find their views inconvenient.

The remaining portion of the above quote is entirely speculative. It is "what if" reasoning in its purest form, Robert. It makes for a fascinating story line but is not conducive to the examination of hard evidence to determine if Christ existed or not.
But that entirely begs the question regarding the existence of "hard evidence" of which there is none, unless you join the holy crowd of saints and martyrs in counting late fictional hearsay as "hard evidence".
The essay by Crabtree is yet more of the same conjecture. It is not following a systematic approach to available evidence. It is more "what if" dressings. I really have nothing further to add to the remaining portions of your post. I think you get my point here though. Thanks
So, having gaily cast nasturtiums around the whole framework of the cosmological basis of the gospels, you feel happy to ignore the analysis of how Jesus accused those who fail to understand this material of being blind, deaf and hard of heart. The point of this material is to show that the myths of the Bible make sense against the hypothesis of a secret hermetic tradition in which observational cosmology was central, and that they do not make sense as literal history. We have abundant historical evidence linking Jesus and the twelve disciples to the sun and the twelve signs of the zodiac, for example in the magnificent stained glass windows of Chartres and St Denis Cathedrals. This suppressed hermetic tradition, termed by Coleridge the River Alph, has to be recovered to start to make any sense of the Bible.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

[quote="Robert Tulip"
It is a good idea to use the quote boxes to help show others who you are quoting. In the top right corner of each post is a box that says Quote. If you click on this box it will go straight to a reply with the quote set up as here. It is best to delete part of the quoted text to just focus on a statement you wish to discuss, or you can bold/underline the relevant part by highlighting it and using the B and u buttons in the Full Editor option for reply. Quote tags are also available as a button above the reply, but it is best to add ="Lady of Shallot" (or whoever you are quoting) in the first
copying the syntax shown from hitting the quote button in the quoted post. In this case I have edited the post to add bold and underline and delete paragraph returns.
I can do this Robert but I do not know how you separate the quoted material sentence by sentence, box by box
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

If you go back to edit your post above, using the edit button at top right, you can fix the mistake caused by me using [quote] in the middle of my quoted post.

What I find is the easiest way to make multiple quotes in a post is that I put the cursor at the end of the section I want to quote, I hit the quote button available in the full editor line above, and get [quote ][/quote ] ((I have added spaces here after quote so it doesn't get picked up as code). I then shift the / to the first bracket, to get [/quote ][quote ], hit 'home shift end control C' to copy the quoting code, put my comment in between the two sets of brackets, and paste this code again after each quoted line using control v. If you forget to put the / in the right place you can edit the post to correct it.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

The view that Jesus Christ actually existed is far and away the dominant mainstream assumption.
which says a lot ...a whole lot... about the "mainstream" and "dominant" and not least "assumptions"

mainstream opinion so often "what other people want you to believe so that you remain ignorant and manipulable"

dominant is like "i've got the upper hand and i'm going to hit you with it"

and assumptions, when unquestioned, are what keep people in the darkness of ignorance safely tucked away from that prying light of knowledge

yes Robert, i am really taken with that single phrase you have coined there.

dominant mainstream assumption WOW!!!

could be translated

bullying herd mentality fulcrum of ignorance

and i think it applies to the literalist viewpoint
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

the historical jesus

what historical Jesus? there is no credible historical evidence for the dude called jesus in the bible.

that is because he is a metaphor like krishna and buddha

the fact that some so called scholars are too dumb to see it and too proud to admit that though they were called scholars they were ignorant of the fact that they accepted as history what is clearly religious allegory is something for them to work on.

so mythicist = has a clue

literalist = dumb as a brick and twice as blind (or just young)

the middle ground of evemerist is pointless because if he wasnt the actual bible jesus picnic saving corpse raising son of a gun described there literally, yet he is just that, only metaphorically, in everyone who experiences the transcendant in themselves as themselves, hence the book with all the metaphors, how else can you describe the indescribable.

i can hear it now "...and if a bunch of people are dumb enough to recieve "religious literalism" as fact maybe they will accept "fractional reserve banking" and "dominant mainstream assumptions" and hell..... we could treat them with as much contempt as they deserve. lets pervert reality, lets get them to sacrifice their minds on the altar of pride and fear and accept the reality that suits us, not them, they can be our cattle our sheep our slaves, lets leave them in the dark and feed them shite"
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:But again, Robert, you persist in saying these scholarly opponents of yours are generally only Christian theologians and apologists. Proof needs to be offered of this. You seem to be assuming that the identity is true just because they favor some historical origin for Jesus. If Bart Ehrman has argued for the historical Jesus, does that mean he's a theologian or apologist? You might have your own ad hom issues to deal with.
Apologetics is a rich tradition within Christian theology, defined as "the discipline of defending a position (often religious) through the systematic use of information." Considering that the claim that Jesus actually existed and founded Christianity is the central claim of Christian faith, anyone who defends this claim as a matter of concern is by definition engaged in apologetics. Of course there are many secular scholars, Muslims and Jews who believe in Jesus as a historical man, without believing he was the son of God, but few of these will really engage in defence of the scholarly evidence. Going beyond accepting the traditional assumption to actively claim this assumption is based on compelling historical evidence requires stepping over an apologetic line.

It does not mean that Ehrman or whoever is promoting the ransom theory of the atonement, the virgin birth, the physical resurrection or even the existence of God, among the many themes that apologists have warmed to, but that whoever takes the field to argue that historical information proves that Jesus Christ actually lived and died as a real man is providing basic material support for conventional orthodox Christian faith, even if stripped down to a modern liberal version. This modern faith is not that Jesus saves, but that Jesus founded Christianity. Ant has given us another variant, the idea that Jesus really lived but did not found Christianity. That is rather curly, and might be worth coming back to later.

The unfortunate fact for apologists, leaving aside any perceived pejorative content in this label, is that the information they use to mount their case for the defence is very sketchy. It is not so long since serious thinkers mounted apologies for Adam and Eve, Noah and Enoch. I imagine Ehrman would hesitate before joining his star to these wagons. By and large, Christian apologists start with an emotional commitment, and then use the argument from personal incredulity to say so many millions of people couldn't possibly be wrong. That is not evidence.

There is nothing ad hominem in saying that arguing for the existence of Jesus Christ is an exercise in Christian apologetics. That seems to be a simple tautology, since the only real sources for Jesus are Christian, and it is hard to see a motive other than defence of Christian faith, whether full blown or stripped down. I understand Ehrman sees himself as an apostate, but I just think he is confused.

Apologetics does not need to be wrong and irrational by definition, even though most of it has been. My own views on the cosmic basis of Christian faith constitute an apology, as a defence of the idea that Jesus Christ metaphysically joins heaven and earth, eternity and time, within the transcendental imagination of mythology, and that this was the original source idea that mutated into the carnal vision of the church expressed in the Gospels. I still think the original cosmic idea of Christology is very deep and meaningful, and is a way to restore the celestial dignity to Christ that has been removed by the church in their use of him as a puppet for their politics.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I'm still not familiar enough with the problems in the writings of Josephus to say much about that half. But what I do know is that a similar hypothesis applies also. That men write things that aren't true for any number of reasons.
To illustrate that I am genuinely interested in the evidence around this material, rather than just pushing a contrary dogma, I would like to draw attention to an apologetic tract that aims to refute the mythicist argument, with specific reference to Josephus.
http://www.bede.org.uk/jesusmyth.htm - Refuting the myth that Jesus never existed by James Hannam 2001.

Apart from the derogatory comments, it is mostly well written. The arguments about the mention of Josephus by Church Father Origen deserve closer scrutiny, although I don't think they stand up, as I mentioned in my earlier comments on Origen. Again we see in this material that evangelists are experts at rhetoric, and can present a very plausible case on surface reading.

Origen's comments can be found at
Matthew: http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-te ... .asp?pg=31
Celsus: http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-te ... .asp?pg=53
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

anyone who defends this claim as a matter of concern is by definition engaged in apologetics

The above is the Fallacy of Composition in action.

I am looking over your newest posts here, Robert. You are very passionate about this and I respect that, but I think you are being selectively critical with this whole issue.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

To illustrate that I am genuinely interested in the evidence around this material, rather than just pushing a contrary dogma, I would like to draw attention to an apologetic tract that aims to refute the mythicist argument, with specific reference to Josephus.
http://www.bede.org.uk/jesusmyth.htm - Refuting the myth that Jesus never existed by James Hannam 2001.
i had a quick look there Robert and noticed this there
The Jesus Mysteries - Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy: Unadulterated rubbish from the masters of the genre.
i've read the jesus mysteries and to call it unadulterated rubbish is absurd it is a well written entertaining and informative book.
The Christ Conspiracy - Acharya S: Makes Freke and Gandy look like serious scholars. Really, really, silly and unintentionally quite funny.
face palm, only a fool would say that.
Tekton Apologetics - JP Holding: Among many other things, contains a demolition job on the Jesus Mythologists so total and complete you even end up feeling sorry for them.
i've checked out JP Holding and in my book anyone who can say that is no longer qualified to speak on the subject at all.

anyways that essay finishes with
In the end, if Jesus did not exist, it makes Christianity a much more incredible phenomena than if he did.
behold the literalist mindset

in the end if santa claus did not exist it makes santa-ianity a much more incredible phenomena than if he did.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”