• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
joelgmt
Getting Comfortable

Re: What Books Do You Dislike?

Unread post

Seems I am not alone in disliking Stephen King's books. Though I do enjoy his films. I enjoyed Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code but hated the 3rd book in that series, I seem to have blacked out the title from my brain.
joelgmt
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

lovesbooks07 wrote:These are the books i didn't like

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Swimming Pool Sunday by Madeleine Wickham

I was told to read Life Of Pi by a good friend whose opinion I usually trusted. I found it incredibly boring.
charityjones89
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've also been told to read "The Life of Pi" and now you guys have me nervous :(

I think someone mentioned it earlier on here but I got the Da Vinci Code for xmas a few years back (we have a sense of humor about such things in my family) and I never made it past the 3rd chapter. The plot was interesting enough, if terribly overdone, but the writing style just didn't sit well with me.

I feel the same way about the Twilight series which I've tried to tackle. I failed. The storyline is decent enough for its genre but the writing style is horrible.

Oh and Steinbeck...I hate everything I've ever read by the man.
I just started a new blog. It's going to be mostly foodie stuff and book reviews with other geekitude thrown in. http://opinionatedgeekery.blogspot.com
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Dwill, my husband is a big fan of Moby Dick. Have you read "bartleby the Scrivener, or Benito Cerino" ?
Is that the same Bartleby who would "prefer not to?" I remember that one from 8th or 9th grade. I definitely liked that one. I never got through Moby Dick and I have never finished anything by Michener
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Little Women, the Twilight series, anything by Dan Brown, bad science novels and anything religious, plus the two Forrest Gump books.
And I haven't been impressed by Hemingway ,as I detested Old Man And The Sea to the point that I couldn't finish it.

''The Grapes of Wrath. I could not get into this book at all, and I have tried many times''
Really? I have just started the book and I am loving it.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

A recent title that I felt took on too many challenges and failed was Edward O'Dell's Three Minutes More, a domestic abuse story that takes place in 1970's Appalachia in the voice of an eight year old narrator. O'Dell handles the dynamic of family conflict much better than he handles physical and sexual trauma, which in my estimation becomes increasingly fantastical toward the novel's end. Pooh. I called it *redneck exploitation* on my blog.
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
berry
Getting Comfortable

Re:

Unread post

evendeathmaydie wrote: I also don't really like Steven King, but that might be because practically nothing scares me, and he tries to hard to be scary.
Exactly! :mrgreen:
berry
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I don't like vampire books. I read many of them before. But now I'm sick of them. They are so boring! All books are about the same. It's like eating chocolate every day. First few days you're happy, but every next day you'll hate chocolate taste more and more. Because you had too much of it. Oh, I want to read something new, interesting, exciting, and about real life. Not crime - I'm, sick of it as well. Please, PLEASE, no more vampires! :twisted:
VTTheta
Official Newbie!

Unread post

There are a lot of posts that I agree with and others I was surprised to hear that people didn't like. I had such a hard time reading Atonement - I didn't even finish the first couple of chapters. Although its a historical novel - I could not STAND the Last of the Mohicans. It was such a pain to get through for english when I was a student.
lwillson
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It is so interesting to read what people dislike... I can be included in the dislike of Charles Dickens. I was forced to read Hard Times for a class and felt it would never end. I have tried several of his other books and just can't do it. They just drag on and on. As for the other classic authors listed, I have had no problems with Austin, Hardy, Melville and Salinger, to mention a few. I do read S. King, but only for fluff.

The other author I really dislike is James Patterson. How he is even called an author evades me. There is absolutely nothing to his characters or plots. They all read the same. No thanks to any author like that. Even when I'm just reading a fluff bit, I was some substance to the characters I read. I find Danielle Steele to be just as shallow as Patterson.
Lady

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”