• In total there are 68 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Am I an athiest?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: Am I an athiest?

Unread post

Katelyn:

Re your:

"...@ geo, Goliath said the same thing, basically. He as slain by David. @ realiz, I did an attempt at humour. The master debater thing? Oh, but its okay for y'all to gang up on me..."

Who's "ganging up on" you? We're simply responding to your posts by posing questions that naturally arise from your statements. That is NOT "ganging up on" anyone.

Like I said in a previous post, short of holing up in a cave somewhere, you're not going to be able to escape questions in this world if you make statements that others consider to be in error. It's a natural part of life. If you want to "play" in the adult world, you have to be able to face questions as they arise, no matter how unpleasant those questions may be.
James Vaught

Unread post

"...You could do everything nice and still go to Hell..."

That, in a nutshell, is exactly the position that got Anne Hutchinson expelled from Massachusetts, and that also forced her to leave Rhode Island when Massachusetts moved to annex Rhode Island, whereupon she went to New York, where she was killed by Indians. "Life is hell, then you die," is the moral of Anne Hutchinson's life. I am NOT saying that any of that should or will happen to you, just observing that everyone has a different opinion about God, or the existence of God.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

(author) Katelyn wrote:That's called faith. Believing what someone tells you. Not needing facts and graphs and everything else under the sun. No need for science when we have faith.
But I have all the facts I need. The KJV 1611 Bible is the only book of facts that I will ever need.
12 years old and your intellectual life is over. Very sad.

I hope you're successful in fighting off Satan and leaving this wretched forum.
James Vaught

Unread post

She's 12, don't give up on her yet. She may think she knows all she needs to know, now. But, I believe she'll change her tune in a few years.

Many of us, at least I did, think we know everything at that age. I think it's because that's the point when some schools start teaching the same material over again, like American History as one example. You think, "well, hell, I learned this in X grade, therefore there's nothing new to learn."
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:She's 12, don't give up on her yet. She may think she knows all she needs to know, now. But, I believe she'll change her tune in a few years.

Many of us, at least I did, think we know everything at that age. I think it's because that's the point when some schools start teaching the same material over again, like American History as one example. You think, "well, hell, I learned this in X grade, therefore there's nothing new to learn."
Good point, I hope she'll look back, and say, "Wow, did I really say that?"

Who knows what crap I spouted when I was 12. I'm glad I don't have to read it.
James Vaught

Unread post

Fortunately, when we were her age there was no internet, or even computer bulletin boards, so most of our "mistakes" were spoken words, quickly forgotten.
James Vaught

Unread post

Something else I just noticed. She says the KJV 1611 version is "all the facts she needs to know." How would anyone learn to read or do simple arithmetic if the Bible was the ONLY source of knowledge needed. As far as I know, there's nothing in the Bible that teaches people how to read or do computation.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:Something else I just noticed. She says the KJV 1611 version is "all the facts she needs to know." How would anyone learn to read or do simple arithmetic if the Bible was the ONLY source of knowledge needed. As far as I know, there's nothing in the Bible that teaches people how to read or do computation.
Well I took that as an exaggeration, she said she has studied history (and apparently knows all there is to know about U.S. history).

But someone taught her that the Bible is true, and therefore it's true. I'll admit, it's hard to understand the mindset of a person that would just accept that, so maybe I just don't understand. No offense Katelyn, try to control the righteous anger.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

That's called faith. Believing what someone tells you.
In spite of the facts. Yes, faith is nothing more than belief from ignorance. You have no clue what evidence or reasoning there is for these things you believe. You simply believe them because the adults in your life told you they were true.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”