• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Seen any good movies recently?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Seen any good movies recently?

Unread post

Yeah. It might have been because a lot of good movies were coming out, but I just didn't feel that it was anything new or surprising.

But I have the same situation with Book of Eli. I think it's AMAZING, but everybody I know thought it was "alright."
(Which reminds me, I need to buy the dvd. :P )

Right now I'm just really excited to see the new Toy Story. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

:lol: I love Pixar.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

No, I have not seen any good movies recently, but I did see a great commercial. A commercial is a small movie right? It was for Traveler's, it had all these animals together, and on top of each other. The meerkats were on top of the elephants, the monkeys were laying on the aligators, there were birds on top of giraffes and rabbits on top of hippos, it was great! I give it five stars on prime time TV. :)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

:lol: Sounds adorable! I don't think we've got that commercial here, but I may have to go my cable company and demand it! ;)
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I saw Jonah Hex today, and it was definitely better than I thought it would be. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Wes Bentley and Will Arnett in it (even though they had minor roles).

My favorite parts were the scenes with Michael Fassbender. He's good at playing crazy; I'd recommend the movie just for his scenes. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

My wife and daughter and I saw "Toy Story 3" yesterday and liked it a lot. It's an achievement that through the three movies the inventiveness and freshness didn't slacken (unlike with, say, "Shrek," where the second one was so bad I wouldn't see the third for pay). I don't like any kind of action movie, live-action or cartoon, but at least the toy stories keep things interesting by showing the toys using their toyness to get out of scrapes. Mr. & Mrs Potato Head and Buzz Lightyear are a riot, but they're not the only funny ones. I was teary-eyed at the end of this, which surprised me.
Last edited by DWill on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I highly recommend the movie "Defiance." Here is a trailer.

bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

We watched Legion tonight. Not bad, but not great. Kind of cheesy, poor writing, but Paul Bettany rocked hardcore, and it was worth watching it just for him. Dennis Quaid can't act to save his barely existing career. In every role he plays an exaggerated version of himself, and it makes the character not only unbelievable, but laughable, and not because he's funny. The story itself was also incredibly predictable, but the visuals were pretty decent and the sound editing was good. We enjoyed it, overall, and although I'd definitely watch it again, it definitely won't make it to any favorites list.

Also interesting to note: Angel wings, a giant, heavy wingspan sort of wings, are utilized in very awesome ways as both shield and weapon in the movie. Great fight scenes, I'd have to say, especially with the angel and the possessed humans who crawl all over the place like Regen from The Exorcist wishes she could do. :-P
Joad
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Dennis Quaid can't act to save his barely existing career. In every role he plays an exaggerated version of himself, and it makes the character not only unbelievable, but laughable, and not because he's funny.
While I agree with you for the most part, Dennis Quaid was brilliant as Jerry Lee Lewis in "Great Balls of Fire." He absolutely nailed it, and he's actually not a terrible singer -- he duets with Jerry Lee Lewis on the soundtrack for "Crazy Arms."

I just watched "The Marathon Man" for the first time and I have to say I was pretty impressed. It was definitely dated, but I do think it manages to handle the test of time. Laurence Olivier was great as Szell.

I also just watched "The Stoning of Soraya M." which was great, but the stoning scene was absolutely brutal. I had to get up and leave the room it was that tough. It was shot beautifully and acted wonderfully. It's also based on a true story which is horrifying....
Last edited by Joad on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad." -- P. H. Fawcett
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

I'd like to join the 'Toy Story 3 Made Me Cry' club. It's the first movie I've seen in theaters in about 8 months. Last movie I saw before that was Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3-D that came around my town. I'm really not sure why I got teary-eyed. Perhaps it was all of the reminiscing it inspired. The movie was surprisingly good for a 3rd movie, and it made me want to go into the attic and pull out some of my toys and stuffed animals from when I was a kid. :)
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”