• In total there are 37 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

After May 21st he will admit he made an error and is not sure where he went wrong with his math.

No votes
After May 21st he will admit an error but suddenly see his error and change the date so the waiting game can continue.

37%
After May 21st he will claim it HAS happened in a peculiar way that only him and select people can perceive.

16%
Before May 21, 2011 he will bump the date back after "discovering" a small error is his math.

11%
Harold is over 90 years old and probably won't live till May 21, 2011.

No votes
After May 21st Harold will take his own life in embarrassment or in an effort to create his own Rapture.

11%
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.

16%
Other - explain your prediction.

11%

Total votes: 19
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Tat... How is your friend holding up?
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

I too am interested on how your friend is doing.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I just read that article… I am perplexed as to why these people were so adamant about their belief… did they truly believe without any doubt?

That is arrogant and stupid from my experience.
Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent $140,000 of his life savings to advertise the rapture in New York, said he was dumbfounded when life went on as usual Saturday.
"I do not understand why ...," he told Reuters while awaiting the event in Times Square. "I do not understand why nothing has happened."
Maybe… just maybe it’s because he based his world view on the foundation of a fairy tale… this guy and those like him were bound for disappointment.

I also see their disappointment as distressing… these people were disappointed that they were not saved (this I understand) but also that the rest of us were not plummeted into suffering… that is cruel and sick.

Later
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

He's over on the coast and I haven't seen him for a while. I tried to ask some of the guys if they'd seen him around for the last two weekends and no one has. He went into seclusion a while back and I couldn't reach by phone or anything. Unless he kills himself or something, however, I'll probably see him down at the inlet surfing at some point. We'll have lots to talk about...

Did you guys see the video of Camping answering the door Sunday? At least we know that he didn't commit suicide or anything. And that he wants "time to think about it" in order to come up with a response for the media...
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Yea, he's looking for answers... but he is (and it seems always has been) looking in the wrong place... as Homer Simpson said while looking into the Bible "There are no answers in this book!"

Later
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I had no idea how great the ramifications of this dupe actually are. I have read that many people have drained their bank accounts, quit their jobs, and spent their children’s education money on this planned and meditated fraud. Did Camping actually, sincerely believe this rapture was going to happen, or was it a fraud all along. Actually, it doesn’t matter now, the damage has been done.

What a mess Camping has created. This is a FB post I received today: (Permission granted to publish)
I've heard so many non-believers begin to mock Christianity over this, that I think I am beginning to realize why in the OT economy, you were to stone a false prophet. This whole thing is turning people away, not bringing them toward the Lord. It must be breaking His heart.
We can laugh and joke about this, but reality is; this has hurt people. I have known people who have lost their faith in God, for one reason or another, and for a true Christian, this can be devastating and can take a long time to recover from. I am truly shocked and saddened by these events. And I have been truly ignorant as to how far this fiasco has taken some people and how deeply it has affected them.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I said this before, but this guy should be arrested for fraud... He has hurt a great many people, both emotionally and financially and he should be punished for it.

On another note this is a good example of what happens when mystical thinking is tested against the real world.

Later
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

That's a good point! Someone should ask Camping to go ahead read aloud just what the bible demands in terms of how we are to treat a prophet who has prophecied falsely. No matter which way Camping turns he's guilty of a false prophecy. He did not offer this prophecy as conditional, as in the Jonah sense. This was given as absolute and well documented as such in a variety of media.

And this should serve as huge wake up call to everyone who does believe in a literal rapture scenario of any type. The one's who believe that it will happen someday, but that no one can no the day or hour, need to sit back take a look at the possiblity that they may be just as delusional as this Camping crowd. It's rather more than a possiblity, it's factual. I posted the one link where a pastor came on recited the verse in question but then added that he believes that the rapture will eventually happen someday, and noted that perhaps that makes him seem just as crazy as the Camping crowd to the viewing audience. It does! And all of the Christians out there should step back and take a good long look at the sort of fantasy bunk they believe to be literal and real and question the entire thing. Take a good long look at it all the way through.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Mon May 23, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I had no idea how great the ramifications of this dupe actually are. I have read that many people have drained their bank accounts, quit their jobs, and spent their children’s education money on this planned and meditated fraud. Did Camping actually, sincerely believe this rapture was going to happen, or was it a fraud all along. Actually, it doesn’t matter now, the damage has been done.

What a mess Camping has created. This is a FB post I received today: (Permission granted to publish)
I've heard so many non-believers begin to mock Christianity over this, that I think I am beginning to realize why in the OT economy, you were to stone a false prophet. This whole thing is turning people away, not bringing them toward the Lord. It must be breaking His heart.
We can laugh and joke about this, but reality is; this has hurt people. I have known people who have lost their faith in God, for one reason or another, and for a true Christian, this can be devastating and can take a long time to recover from. I am truly shocked and saddened by these events. And I have been truly ignorant as to how far this fiasco has taken some people and how deeply it has affected them.

This year goes down as one of the most pronounced states of hysteria over the return of Christ. All members of society seemed affected by the prediction that Jesus was coming back on Jan 1, 1000 AD. There really weren't any of the events required by the Bible transpiring at that time. The magical number 1000 was primarily the sole reason for the expectation. During December 999 AD, everyone was on their best behavior; worldly goods were sold and given to the poor, swarms of pilgrims headed east to meet the Lord at Jerusalem, buildings went unrepaired, crops were left unplanted, and criminals were set free from jails. The year 999 AD turned into 1000 AD and nothing happened.
http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

This dupe has been pulled before, read above....read the bold, my doing.....
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rap

Unread post

So GodAlmighty just posted that Camping is back on the air tonight saying that the rapture will happen on the october date instead. So how many of these idiots will continue to believe this guy? It looks like in the end the high vote for the thread won. You guys called it.

Now we'll have to run a poll for what Camping will do on October 22???

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”