• In total there are 40 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Unread post

what is your position anyway ant?

not mythicist, i'm guessing, not literalist? evemerist perhaps? or a new fourth position i am yet to hear?

bible jesus, take him literally at your peril eh?
Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
a parable is a metaphor
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:
The basic point is that anyone who says there is proof that Jesus really lived has no rigor and deserves no credibility
I have never stated "jesus really lived."
And nor did I accuse you of such apologetics. But the fact remains, there are people in this universe who believe in their heart of hearts that Jesus did actually live. The point at issue was DWill’s wild calumny that calling such people apologists constitutes an ad hominem fallacy. It does not. 
I've said that based on the evidence available, historians have concluded that it is highly probable Christ existed and that is the general consensus among scholars. If you disagree, show that it is NOT the general consensus.
Fun as it may be to acquire continually greater precision about our respective views on the same matters, some may wonder if this retraces some ground. I thought we had agreed at some length that the existence of Jesus is a consensus view. Everyone knows that. The question is whether the consensus is historically accurate or whether it is delusory.
If you are going to claim that it is all based on hearsay than [sic] you can pretty much throw out all of history as well.
Ant, I think you lost on this point, so I am surprised to see you back for more punishment. Some facts are attested by multiple independent sources of contemporary evidence, such as the existence of Plato, or Socrates. Sadly, with our friend JC, all the evidence comes from people with a cultic interest, and there is nothing archaeological or contemporary, unless you count the fragments of the true cross that I helpfully suggested we consider. Books containing multiple impossible feats that were not written for at least fifty years after the events they describe, by authors who readily confess that their sole purpose is propaganda, are not history. But that is all we have for our dear Lord and Savior. Unless you want to count Paul, who passes up every chance he has to show how his ideas are based on the ideas of said JC, except for a few ambiguous scraps. For real people, there is real evidence, or at least when the evidence is ambiguous people admit it. Not so Jesus H. Christ. Historians see the ambiguity, but knowing the power of the church, dating back to the inquisition and various forms of social persecution and exclusion, they consider it the better part of valor to remain discreet, and pay obeisance to the dominant view.
You've continually glossed over why it is that historians are near unanimous by claiming (in so many words) that the field is tainted. You've offered no proof whatsoever to back your claim. You've been mostly conspiratorial about the entire matter.
Yes, the field is tainted. I was recently reading about the Albigensian Crusade. While it is a very long time ago, the scale of genocide directed purely at destruction of unwelcome beliefs about Jesus Christ illustrates a mentality that still exists, even in these post-Christendom days. You seem unacquainted with the fervor attached to belief in Jesus. The tainting of enquiry about Jesus is obvious. Perhaps people are no longer imprisoned and sacked for scholarly research on this sensitive topic, as happened repeatedly in the nineteenth century, but there is still a culture of vilification and intimidation dished out under the guise of evangelical preaching. I checked out a fundamentalist academic blog on this topic and was astounded at the level of slanderous idiocy they allowed.
You've essentially downplayed historians credentials, all while comparing Doherty to the likes of Darwin and Galileo. When asked details about Doherty's credentials ( like where is his BA from?) you've been unresponsive. If I missed it, show me.
Quite right, I don’t think that credentials are relevant to this debate because universities have a repressive culture. People who disagree with the prevailing mainstream are not welcome in academia. Universities don’t even organize conferences where they invite their opponents to speak, they are so cowed by the censorship. The shift in Christian theology involved in admitting that Jesus was made up is just as big as the shift in admitting the earth is round and old. People simply cannot cope with the admission that the early church was so heavily based on fantasy and delusion.
Also, you've failed to effectively demonstrate why you believe the simplest conclusion IS not the most highly probable one (remember Occams Razor) without relying on conspiracy theories to keep your argument upright. Rather, you chose instead to promote a convoluted explanation by an author who must be considered an amateur because he has not paid his dues. You'd like us to allow the apprentice to construct our house instead of the carpenter.
The Historical Jesus is only simple for simpletons. If you actually look at the evidence, most of the Jesus story is ridiculous. Nazareth did not exist. Bethany, home of the Lazarus story, is pure Egyptian myth, dating back thousands of years. With so much obvious fantasy, the possible bits come under severe doubt. On the conspiracy question, it is more that a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest, as that famous theologian Paul Simon once said. The germ of the demiurge in Philo met a desire for a messiah, which steadily expanded into a full blown historical fantasy. The simplest story is that the Gospel writers had means, motive and opportunity for their fabrication.
You support peer review - except in this instance, it has no relevance ( a kind of intellectual dishonesty I'd say)
Where are the peers who want to review Doherty? As I explained earlier, there are none, except for those who preach the pathetic false lines about how mythicism has been disproved before so can be ignored. That is not peer review.
Lastly, you've accused me of committing ad hominem attacks, all while ignoring your own.
You seem not to understand what an ad hominem attack is. It is where you say ‘Person X believes A and B. B is false therefore A is false. That is a logical fallacy. Credentialism falls into this category, with the ‘B’ being ‘Truth of a claim is independent of who makes it’. You infer from this B that A: “Jesus did not exist” is necessarily false. That is ad hominem, playing the man. Tell me how I have made similar mistakes, and please speak in syllogisms, as your illogical assertions make little sense.
There is a misconception on your part here, Robert. And that misconception is called "The Third Person Effect".That is my honest take on it. I am sorry if it might offend you. Despite my stance on this, you've peeked my curiosity. I will need to look into this in greater detail.
First it was the compositional fallacy, now it is the Third Person Effect. I am learning a lot from you ant. But I don’t see why this effect is at all relevant here unless you are just trying to patronise me again. You will have to explain yourself. And was that ‘piqued’ your curiosity?
Bart Ehrman has a book due out in a few months that will address this issue in detail. I invite you to purchase it and lead a book discussion. I'd be happy to participate. You are an excellent book discussion leader.
Quite a few of my friends have been shaking their heads about Backsliding Bart. For someone who has led the debate on fraud and deceit in the early church it is sad to see him apparently going to water. Let’s see if he has the balls to publish.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I do not entirely agree with that statement.

What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

History is problematic in that we can never establish anything with certainty because we can never fully develop tentative theory or hypothesis by experimental means.
A hypothesis is an untested theory. With enough evidence, a hypothesis may become a theory. In a synthetic sense, there is nothing more certain than a theory, at the same time that no theory is certain. The problem is not with the theory... the problem is with your expectation that you can achieve certainty.
Mythicists will never be able to claim with certainty that the H J was a myth.
All Mythicists are essentially doing is constructing their own puzzle with pieces they are cherry picking from different segments of history.
Correct, there is no certainty. Why repeat it as if you're making a point? I don't mean to be snarky, I'm just wondering.

Here's the problem with cherry picking. Grant me use of your mind for a few minutes. Even though you disagree, let's say (hypothetically) Jesus was a myth. Let's say that what actually happened is that the story of Jesus is an amalgam of other stories and astronomy. Just as a great deal of fiction steals concepts from other sources. The parts and pieces used to create the story are scattered, as is usually the case. Let's say (again, hypothetically) we can see story elements in Egyptian myth as well as other locations. Now, your job is to show the correlation. Remember, there truly is a correlation.. the bible authors actually did steal from prior sources in this hypothetical situation. How do you show that correlation without being accused of cherry-picking? Please, enlighten me.

The problem is that the nature of sourcing fiction, the authors of the bible pulled from multiple sources. They cherry-picked to build a story. If any historian comes after the fact to retrace the flow of information, he must use as evidence all the sources that were cherry picked. So, which of the parties is guilty of "cherry-picking"? How could it be the historian, if his hypothesis is actually absolutely true(from our god's eye view)? Perhaps he is cherry picking, but in this instance, can that be said to be an argument against his hypothesis?
Also, you've failed to effectively demonstrate why you believe the simplest conclusion IS not the most highly probable one (remember Occams Razor) without relying on conspiracy theories to keep your argument upright.
The parsimonious explanation is that men write fiction, for any number of reasons. It cannot be any more simple than that, and the explanatory power is much greater, because it's an explanation that you already accept! Unless you think the supernatural events in the bible were more than fiction...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

A hypothesis is an untested theory. With enough evidence, a hypothesis may become a theory. In a synthetic sense, there is nothing more certain than a theory, at the same time that no theory is certain. The problem is not with the theory... the problem is with your expectation that you can achieve certainty.
That is to say the elegance, simplicity, and power of a hypothesis does not itself establish fact, it just give us more reason to like it.

What is the value of strenuously attempting to disprove a hypothesis?
Here's the problem with cherry picking. Grant me use of your mind for a few minutes. Even though you disagree, let's say (hypothetically) Jesus was a myth. Let's say that what actually happened is that the story of Jesus is an amalgam of other stories and astronomy. Just as a great deal of fiction steals concepts from other sources. The parts and pieces used to create the story are scattered, as is usually the case. Let's say (again, hypothetically) we can see story elements in Egyptian myth as well as other locations. Now, your job is to show the correlation. Remember, there truly is a correlation.. the bible authors actually did steal from prior sources in this hypothetical situation. How do you show that correlation without being accused of cherry-picking? Please, enlighten me.
I understand the point you are making here, Interbane.

This entire issue is an attempt at reconstructing a historical event based on records that we have that are as close to the event in question. This is puzzle play.

Utilizing the pieces that came inside the box is analogous to scrutinizing sources that are within the timeframe of the event in question. Those sources should directly reference key figures and events of the historicity in question. In essence, we are confining ourselves via a virtual time capsule. From that, we utilize criteria (which I've gone over) to establish as best we can the accuracy and reliability of the records in hand. To begin to reach outside the sources we have to work with is crossing a line that can be defined as cherry picking. We stay within the sources that document the events in question to prevent wild, speculative claims (cherry picking). If you are not staying within those boundaries you are getting dangerously close to rewriting history. We can get creative with the Mythicists' methods and begin to question the existence of many other historical figures, can't we? Yes we can indeed. The controversial figure that Christ is, is in fact a good place to start because of the simple fact that he is so controversial.

Robert's understanding of why Mythicists' claim what they do is deeper than mine, that's without question. He evidently has a solid understanding of the criteria they utilize to reconstruct the time in question.
I itemized the criteria that is used by scholars like Bart Ehrman - at least I'm pretty certain that is the criteria. If anyone is unhappy with it, they need to establish their own.

Can someone itemize the criteria that Mythicists use? I don't want it explained in some manner like, "There are similarities between astrology, mythology and the story of Christ. Lot's of stories of miraculous births, deaths, ascensions, etc. Doesn't such and such story seem just another version of Christs'? And what if Josephus's mention of Jesus was actually not a true because..... That makes sense because...." And so forth.

I want their criteria outlined. I think it would help those who unlike Robert, haven't actually read the book, but are willing to essentially reason in the following manner: "It sounds plausible...,yeah, that sounds similar, and, I never believed Christ existed anyway, so I'll get on this train."
I outlined the criteria I'm familiar with. Anyone is welcomed to check its accuracy.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

What is the value of strenuously attempting to disprove a hypothesis?
You may have to clarify the question, but it's a good one. First, there's value in the wisdom that if you are looking to disprove a hypothesis, you won't be as subject to confirmation bias entrenching your confidence in a dominant(but false) paradigm. Science would be futile unless there were people who were seeking alternatives. A devil's advocate is healthy. What's more, the exploration of the current issues in any paradigm leads to an active pursuit of further issues/anomalies, which provides more evidence for competing hypotheses, and helps to emphasize issues with the current paradigm to allow for a shift.
Utilizing the pieces that came inside the box is analogous to scrutinizing sources that are within the timeframe of the event in question.
Try thinking outside the box. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. If the puzzle we're putting together is the hypothesis that elements of the bible were taken from prior myth, the box must include those prior elements. If the timeframe of the box is only a plus or minus 100 year window from the supposed events, we can rule out all parts of the bible that have no physical counterpart from within the box for corroboration. If they were written at a point outside of the box, how can you justify using them? Provide a link to autographic biblical text. For all the reasons the originals may not have survived, we can only speculate. The critical thinker in you should perk up a bit at the thought that the originals were destroyed when a new "compiled and revised" version was released circa 100 A.D.(or whatever). Yes, it's only speculation, but if you follow epistemology, such speculation is a reason to investigate. Note that the antithesis is also true; to say that the autographic bibles were copied verbatim is merely speculation.

We can get creative with the Mythicists' methods and begin to question the existence of many other historical figures, can't we? Yes we can indeed.
Yes, we can, but why do you say that as if it's taboo? What's wrong with questioning the existence of other historical figures? Perhaps that would make a good project. Find a reason to cast doubt on the existence of Caesar. Look for unique elements from within the "Gallic War" which can be found in prior text. I'm honestly curious.
This entire issue is an attempt at reconstructing a historical event based on records that we have that are as close to the event in question. This is puzzle play.
Which event are you referring to specifically? I think the element we're questioning isn't an event, but a supposed person/god.

You have two competing hypotheses. One is that Jesus is real, for which we have compiled manuscripts with the earliest copies from about two centuries after. The other hypothesis is that Jesus is a fictional character with elements of the story taken from prior myth. A messiah story of a general archetype, with elements borrowed from the other cultures. This hypothesis is the dominant explanation for many gods. I'm questioning why you think the hypothesis is invalid a priori(excluded by your criteria)? The structure of the hypothesis is valid, yet your criteria excludes it. If someone is copying something from another source, there is no divine force preventing them from picking a source from any point in the past. To maintain otherwise is silly.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:And nor did I accuse you of such apologetics. But the fact remains, there are people in this universe who believe in their heart of hearts that Jesus did actually live. The point at issue was DWill’s wild calumny that calling such people apologists constitutes an ad hominem fallacy. It does not. 
Here's what I said, Robert:
But again, Robert, you persist in saying these scholarly opponents of yours are generally only Christian theologians and apologists. Proof needs to be offered of this. You seem to be assuming that the identity is true just because they favor some historical origin for Jesus. If Bart Ehrman has argued for the historical Jesus, does that mean he's a theologian or apologist? You might have your own ad hom issues to deal with.
That thought might not sparkle in its clarity. I'll try to clarify by saying that you can label someone an apologist, but that doesn't arm you with anything related to a particular argument. Trying to win a point with an audience by appealing to their emotions is always ad hominem (literally, "to the man") and this is what is being attempted when an alleged attribute of a person is used to bolster the argument. It's an association type of ad hominem--"what else would you expect from apologists?" Your designation of someone as an apologist, or even that person's own declaration of being an apologist, has no bearing on the validity of anything in particular that he claims. So I have no objection to you or anyone calling a figure an apologist, but using the label because its connotation helps to sway an audience isn't kosher.

This is intended as constructive criticism from someone who doesn't write with your fluency. In just this one thread, there are numerous examples of this "to the man" argumentation on your part. Usually it involves direct or indirect accusations of bad character of some sort. You assert these things out of a fervent moral belief that you are correct. It can sometimes take on a bullying tone, frankly. Again, you are skilled as a writer, a fact that comes across especially clearly when you have less of an emotional stake in the topic.
Last edited by DWill on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:And nor did I accuse you of such apologetics. But the fact remains, there are people in this universe who believe in their heart of hearts that Jesus did actually live. The point at issue was DWill’s wild calumny that calling such people apologists constitutes an ad hominem fallacy. It does not. 
Here's what I said, Robert:
But again, Robert, you persist in saying these scholarly opponents of yours are generally only Christian theologians and apologists. Proof needs to be offered of this. You seem to be assuming that the identity is true just because they favor some historical origin for Jesus. If Bart Ehrman has argued for the historical Jesus, does that mean he's a theologian or apologist? You might have your own ad hom issues to deal with.
That thought might not sparkle in its clarity. I'll try to clarify by saying that you can label someone an apologist, but that doesn't arm you with anything related to a particular argument. Trying to win a point with an audience by appealing to their emotions is always ad hominem (literally, "to the man") and this is what is being attempted when an alleged attribute of a person is used to bolster the argument. It's an association type of ad hominem--"what else would you expect from apologists?" Your designation of someone as an apologist, or even that person's own declaration of being an apologist, has no bearing on the validity of anything in particular that he claims. So I have no objection to you or anyone calling a figure an apologist, but using the label because its connotation helps to sway an audience isn't kosher.

This is intended as constructive criticism from someone who doesn't write with your fluency. In just this one thread, there are numerous examples of this "to the man" argumentation on your part. Usually it involves direct or indirect accusations of bad character of some sort. You assert these things out of a fervent moral belief that you are correct. It can sometimes take on a bullying tone, frankly. Again, you are skilled as a writer, a fact that comes across especially clearly when you have less of an emotional stake in the topic.
You ring, clear as a bell in this post, DWill.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

A while back I bristled at the suggestion that the mythicist position is akin to creationism. But there are times in this thread when you can definitely see some of the same tactics being used. Thanks, DWill for pointing them out.

I've said before that the main problem for the mythicist is that it's arguing from lack of evidence to support what is at best an agnostic position. To become ideologically entrenched either way would seem to rely on fallacious methods of persuasion. I still wonder why it matters so much that Jesus was a historical person or not. We know that a religious worldview hinges on Jesus being flesh and blood, but what worldview requires Jesus to be myth?
-Geo
Question everything
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

geo wrote: but what worldview requires Jesus to be myth?
If people could look critically at the historicity of Jesus and even begin to contemplate that it is not so, they would then be free to look more critically at all of the tenants of their particular belief system(s)

That would be a very valuable service to the world view.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:
geo wrote: but what worldview requires Jesus to be myth?
If people could look critically at the historicity of Jesus and even begin to contemplate that it is not so, they would then be free to look more critically at all of the tenants of their particular belief system(s)

That would be a very valuable service to the world view.
I don't think that's how it works, Lady. Someone who wants to believe in Jesus isn't going to be open to the mythicist question or even pay it lip service. Also, it doesn't really matter if Jesus was flesh and blood or myth. You can easily accept that Jesus was a real person and still reject the supernatural tenets of Christianity. The atheist view doesn't rely on Jesus being a myth at all, only that he wasn't born of a virgin, didn't perform miracles, and wasn't the son of God.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”