• In total there are 44 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Bible's Buried Secrets

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Azrael
Masters

Re: The Bible's Buried Secrets

Unread post

Yeah and a bad one at that..............
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
The Bible very clearly states that Moses did NOT lead the Israelites into the promised land.
Who cares what the bible says? What makes you think it's an accurate depiction of history? I'm already aware it's not accurate, so I couldn't care less. What I'm concerned with is why you believe this rubbish.

My tone would be completely different if you were analyzing the bible through the context that it's part truth, part fantasy, and loaded front to back with culture, rather than explanation. It's a story, that's all.
You miss the point which is that the statement about Moses is incorrect. Whether the Bible is right or wrong is not the issue. Nova did a SHOW claming to have unearthed secrets about the Bible and is asking viewers to invest their time in watching it. The circumstances surround Moses and the reason that he did NOT enter the promised land are not trivial. They are part of the text which Nova is using as a foundation for its attacks. My question is, who did the reseach for the show? Who did the fact checking? Who read the Bible sections to decide that only a handful of Canaanite slave left Egypt? I always get very critical when I see an error in an easily checked statement. It makes me wonder what else got 'messed' up. You defense is no defense, it isn't even relevant and I am suprised you used. it.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Nova did a SHOW claming to have unearthed secrets about the Bible and is asking viewers to invest their time in watching it. The circumstances surround Moses and the reason that he did NOT enter the promised land are not trivial.
I know, it's important to you, sorry for being harsh. Your healthy skepticism should apply to everything, don't exclude the bible itself. Apply your skepticism to the claim that every human on Earth was only evil. If you are skeptical, where would your conclusion lay?

I don't know who Nova is, but I'll trust they aren't accurately representing the biblical story, per your critique.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Nova did a SHOW claming to have unearthed secrets about the Bible and is asking viewers to invest their time in watching it. The circumstances surround Moses and the reason that he did NOT enter the promised land are not trivial.
Okay, their bad. Moses only got them on the cusp of entering the Promised Land. And your thinking here as elsewhere is that any error of this sort disqualifies everything else the offender may say. It's like saying that your spelling errors disqualify your ideas from being considered. A balanced critical approach is to first evaluate the degree of success in achieving main objectives, whether it's a book or film documentary. It's fine to point our errors, but this comes last, and then always in the context of whether it weakens the main argument, and if so, how badly.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Interbane wrote:
Okay, their bad. Moses only got them on the cusp of entering the Promised Land. And your thinking here as elsewhere is that any error of this sort disqualifies everything else the offender may say. It's like saying that your spelling errors disqualify your ideas from being considered. A balanced critical approach is to first evaluate the degree of success in achieving main objectives, whether it's a book or film documentary. It's fine to point our errors, but this comes last, and then always in the context of whether it weakens the main argument, and if so, how badly.
It isn't only Moses, Nova ignores events described in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. The idea of a few Cannanite idealists seeking freedom does not explain the raging conflict described as taking place withing the Israelite camp, the longing to go back to Egypt and bondage, the rebellion against Moses and his authority, a reversion to idol worship. It's easier to ignore this than to explain it. That was my objection to TEoG and the fact that Nove is doing the same thing presents me with some disturbing possibilities. The first is that I can't trust Nova to accuratedly present the Bible as the Bible is presented to us, even allowing for skepticism. The second is... worse.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In other words, the events depicted in the Torah books have for you a substance and a feel of authenticity that you can't conceive as being merely legendary. I see the Gospel books in somewhat the same way, regarding whether or not Jesus existed. There is too much that wouldn't be included if story-telling was the only purpose; there's an attempt to preserve events and facts, although in my view this still results in a mixture of the real and the desired. Similarly, in the family history of Jacob, there is a lot that has the feel of life to it, contrasting with the different quality of legend and fable. Or perhaps the writers were novelists ahead of their time, I don't know. Obviously where I differ is that I think that a good deal of the Bible is in the heroic or epic mode common to the founding literatures of many peoples. That people back in those early days of the race lived to a prodigious old age is only one way that the origins of the Israelites were glorified.

By the way, does the bible mention specifically the age at which a woman died?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:In other words, the events depicted in the Torah books have for you a substance and a feel of authenticity that you can't conceive as being merely legendary. I see the Gospel books in somewhat the same way, regarding whether or not Jesus existed. There is too much that wouldn't be included if story-telling was the only purpose; there's an attempt to preserve events and facts, although in my view this still results in a mixture of the real and the desired. Similarly, in the family history of Jacob, there is a lot that has the feel of life to it, contrasting with the different quality of legend and fable. Or perhaps the writers were novelists ahead of their time, I don't know. Obviously where I differ is that I think that a good deal of the Bible is in the heroic or epic mode common to the founding literatures of many peoples. That people back in those early days of the race lived to a prodigious old age is only one way that the origins of the Israelites were glorified.

By the way, does the bible mention specifically the age at which a woman died?
If Nova did a SHOW on Middle Earth, I would expect them to deal with it based on what Tolkien wrote. If Nova is going to do a SHOW about the Bible it needs to base its discussions on what is recorded there otherwise don't call the SHOW Buried Bible Secrets. Instead call it, Buried Secrets We Made Up While Ignoring the Material in the Bible. I don't require that Nova state the Bible is true but the approach they took is a joke. Talk about the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”