• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

On Friday night, a week ago, I drove to the railway station late to collect my husband. On the radio on BBC Radio 4, there is a programme called 'A Good Read', whereby three or four very erudite people choose a book each and they all read each one and discuss them. I find it a very absorbing listen. Well.....Friday, they were discussing a cult book from 30 or 40 years ago called 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. It was a very formative book for me and, like the lady involved in the discussion, I realised that, whilst I never had any tutoring in Philosophy, I took a lot of my ideas from this book. Not realising at the time, the impact it was having on my thinking. I am reading it again now, with great relish. I do recommend it and am wondering if it will seem 'old hat' and 'old hippy' to any younger people embarking on it.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M Pirsig

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03h3fwy
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
SFREEMANGA
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just started James Patterson's "Gone" a few days ago. (It's the latest in his Michael Bennett series.) I haven't had to chance to read more than the first 50 pages, but so far, so good.
Stephen Osborne
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am currently reading Pensées by Blaise Pascal. Its a very interesting philosophical book containing the thoughts of a 17th century mathematician/christian philosopher/physicist. Here is a good quote from the book; “I know not who put me into the world, nor what the world is, not what I myself am. I am in terrible ignorance of everything. I know not what my body is, nor my senses, nor my soul, nor even that part of me which thinks what I say, which reflects on all and on itself, and knows itself no more than the rest. I see those frightful spaces of the universe which surround me, and I find myself tied to one corner of this vast expanse, without knowing why I am put in this place rather than in another, nor why the short time which is given me to live is assigned to me at this point rather than at another of the whole eternity which was before me or which shall come after me. I see nothing but infinites on all sides, which surround me as an atom, and as a shadow which endures only for an instant and returns no more. All I know is that I must soon die, but what I know least is this very death which I cannot escape." -Pensées, 194
"What a man thinks of himself indicates his fate" - Henry David Thoreau
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Stephen, your footnote, by Thoreau compliments your review perfectly, don't you think?
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Stephen Osborne
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Yeah, it does. I'm glade you noticed that. It is interesting seeing these two completely different authors sharing a common opinion about the affect their thoughts have upon their fate. What is even more interesting is applying Thoreau's quote to the writings of Pascal, believing that he believed his thoughts were common amongst all people, which i heartily disagree with. I agree with Thoreau, Pascal had such low opinions on mankind and believed we despair in fear of our ignorance, but Thoreau believed our personal thoughts drive us forward in life. Each man having a different fate based upon his own thoughts.
"What a man thinks of himself indicates his fate" - Henry David Thoreau
DaveJeb
Master Debater

Unread post

I recently received a Kindle and for the first time since school I am reading more than one book at a time. It's interesting to have so many characters rattling around and picking the favorite of the hour to get back to. Borrowing books from the University system puts pressure on with the 7 day loan limit. So I am reading:

The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo- protagonist is an excellent detective also an alcoholic in Norway who has been promoted to the rank of Inspector. He is tracking someone who smuggled into the country the world’s most expensive assassination rifle. The story moves from a group of Norwegians fighting on the Russian front early 1940's with individuals were torn on who was going to win Europe - Hitler or Stalin and which side to fight for. Retribution may be coming 60 years later as the reason behind recent serial killings. Terrific mystery with insight into the often frustrating and painstaking way crimes are solved. Several characters with aliases and nicknames make this read one to focus on.

Joust by Mercedes Lackey - dragon riders fight in ancient times - fun read for Sci-fi book club - this was easy to switch back and forth.

The Stupidest Angel, a heartwarming tale of Christmas terror by Christopher Moore - mayhem erupts in a small town when the Archangel Raziel comes to earth to grand a child’s Christmas wish - but a six year old doesn’t explain wishes well so mayhem, murder and zombies spend the day wreaking havoc on Christmas Eve. Another easy read.

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes just started, but will finish above first, this read I’d like to focus on.

Happy Holidays and Satisfying Reading to all.
Bookish
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dave, all of those books at once?

I usually read two books at once - one upstairs and one downstairs - and even then I'm inclined to get characters muddled - unless I have one fiction and one non-fiction.

Downstairs, I'm reading a biography of J B Priestley by Judith Cook, because Priestley is one of my favourite people as well as a favourite author.

Upstairs, I'm reading the diary of a housewife who lived in Coventry during WWII.

So I can't get the two muddled this time. They are both very British books and probably of very little interest to this forum.

Stephen, I think Thoreau was ahead of his time. I also agree with him, in that I think we write our own life stories to a large extent.

Rafael Sabatini
DaveJeb
Master Debater

Unread post

Hi Penelope, your story about Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance reminded me that I picked this up nearly 20 years ago...and it has probably been in the same spot in that bookcase since! I have alot of WANT TO READ AT SOME POINT books though most are not this old. I might just rearrange the bookcases and have a shelf called 2014's - and at lease a few might get read. Happy Reading, DaveJeb
Bookish
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dave, I hope you do read Zen and the Art of.......It was a kind of cult book in its time. I think it is bigger than the sum of its parts and that different aspects of it are more relevant at different times of our lives.

Rafael Sabatini
Pippa
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Two books at the moment...
(1) Xenostorm, by Brian Clegg. This is a YA sc-fi story (ebook and hard copy) based around the perils of nano structures. Brian Clegg is actually a scientist and science writer (I know some of his serious works) and I think this is his first foray into fiction. Very fast action and clever science, but, in my opinion, the characters could be drawn in much greater depth and detail.
(2) The Honest Broker, by Roger Pielke Jr. This is a serious discourse about the role of scientists in guiding wider policy. Very clever thinking by a very clever man!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”