• In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Am I an athiest?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Am I an athiest?

Unread post

I know I'm going to get chewed for this but, none of those religions were right. There is only one way to Heaven and the Bible tells you.
Members of those other religions think the exact same thing about your religion.
See which one makes more sense to you.
None of them make any sense to me as truthful. They are all clearly belief in fantasy, similar to belief in Santa Claus but more complex. What you're asking is the same as shutting down our brains at Christmas and believing in Santa. You can't force people to believe something which isn't true.

You have to trick them. For example, telling us that going to church won't hurt a bit, but if we don't go, we will burn in hell for eternity. So you know, that line of reasoning will get you chewed out. Not because it worries people, but because you're expressing a negative sentiment towards others.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

No, that is not what I am doing. It will not hurt. If I go to a Catholic schuch, its not going to hurt me. Why? B/c I'm strong enough to know what is true and what isn't. Same thing for you. Even though you believe differently.
Katie
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

B/c I'm strong enough to know what is true and what isn't.
Actually, it's impossible for us both to be correct. I am certain there is no god. You are certain there is. One of us is wrong. I know you sincerely believe that you're the one who is correct, so there's no need to repeat yourself. But that is what everyone believes, who believes something different. You are no different from any of these people. They all believe they are correct, and that every other religion is incorrect. Why should I believe you rather than them? Don't answer, it's rhetorical.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Why? B/c I'm strong enough to know what is true and what isn't.
I am not sure what you mean by strong. I think it takes more strength to admit that you might be wrong and challenge your beliefs, than it does to cling what you've been taught and refuse to look at other ideas.

I am not afraid to go to church. I grew up going to church and I've attended church for a good portion of my adult life. I have also visited other churches and I've had friends from many different Christian denominations. The church I belonged to encourages its members to question, doubt, learn, and form their own opinions of truth. Of course, like all organized religion, they believe their way to be superior to others. For me, it worked, because I cannot pretend to believe something I do not, and I cannot believe something that does not make any rational sense, even though I have an inner emotional drive to believe in something good and loving.

My question to you, is why do you believe? Why do you believe in one book that your rational brain should tell you could not possibly be fact?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I am not sure what you mean by strong. I think it takes more strength to admit that you might be wrong and challenge your beliefs, than it does to cling what you've been taught and refuse to look at other ideas.
This is true. No matter who you are, it hurts to admit you're wrong. You have to swallow your pride and own up to your error. Depending on how ingrained the belief is, it can be life changing.
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

Sorry, but there is no 'error' to admit. I AM right. I believe in the 1611 KJV Bible b/c it is TRUE. I KNOW I am Right b/c in the Bible look in John. I don't remember where it is, but John the Baptist. That was Jesus' Cousins name. Note Baptist. That is why. THE BAPTIST. Not John the Catholic. Not John the Buddist. Not John the Morman. But John the Baptist. Now tell me why it would say that if it is not the TRUE religion. Oh, and btw, I don't have religion. I'm not religious. I'm SAVED. I don't need religion. Religion is for people that make everyone THINK they are saved. But they aren't. Check out this song. I have never considered it more true. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS2aREQ ... playnext=1
READ THIS AFTER YOU'VE WATCHED. I figure the 'fire' is what y'all are putting me through, and I'm getting stronger in my beliefs and my arguing. God bless.
Katie
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

No, the video is NOT preaching. It is a song.
Katie
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Sorry, but there is no 'error' to admit. I AM right. I believe in the 1611 KJV Bible b/c it is TRUE.
Even though you believe you're right, you're not. I bet my dad could kick your dad's butt too.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here's a thread asking basically the same thing where several members talk about what lead them out of religion.

http://www.booktalk.org/how-did-you-sto ... tml?hilit= how stop believing
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

What is this, Kindergarden? My dad could kick ur dad's butt? Maybe, maybe not. But y'all have been childish from the start. I just simply stated my beliefs and y'all attacked me. You know, God could kick this whole universe to nothing, but He doesn't. Why? He loves you, though I don't understand why He loves anyone. We don't deserve it.
Katie

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”