• In total there are 70 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

I have just finished “Light” by M. John Harrison. It’s a sci-fi story of, amongst other things, bizarre, artificially created life forms, and the way that they react to their existential conundrums. It was a good read for lazy summer vacation days, lying on the beach. Harrison didn’t really do a good job of following through with his thoughts though. A lot of interesting concepts came to naught, or at most a bit of technobabel.

Just starting “Snow Falling On Cedars” by David Guterson. A little more down to earth, and set in a local not far from where I am.
Elizabeth
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am currently in the midst of reading two books. I am reading The Serial Killers Club by Jeff Povey and I am re-reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'm only reading the latter again right now because I have gotten amazingly low on new books to read.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I love Wuthering Heights! :) It is so dramatic and passionate. Right now I am reading A Lion Among Men, the third in the Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. I am also reading Acts of God by Mary Morris. Elizabeth, I have ten million books. You could always come by and borrow some of mine. :)
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I've been so busy lately with school - I basically live there, because the hours I spend at home are nothing compared to what I spend there - so I've been unable to read or write for a while now... but still working on Richardson's Pamela for English lit class (yeah, we do have one, even here!) and I am planning on reading Swift's Gulliver's Travels because I love satires and Brontë's Wuthering Heights, as everyone seems to love it!
Can anyone recommend me a book? I've got an autumn break next week, so plenty of time to read! :smile:
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

You might enjoy Vermeer’s Hat, by Timothy Brook. In it Brook tries to glean details about the lives of people in history from the scenes painted by the Dutch master painter Vermeer. The book becomes quite far ranging.

http://www.amazon.com/Vermeers-Hat-Seve ... 621&sr=1-1
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Thanks, I'll definitely try it. I saw the Girl with a Pearl Earring (that is, the painting) at the Rijksmuseum earlier this year. Loved it.
Gem
Creative Writing Student

The Day of the Flood

Unread post

I recently read "The Day of the Flood" by Margarette Atwood - I just saw it on half price in Borders so bought it. I'm glad I did as I found that it was brilliant!
banjodown
Official Newbie!

Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Unread post

Right now I'm reading Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast, which is a study of the evolutionary origin of belief.

One idea that he brought up (and I paraphrase here):
Often, when we think about how own actions, we picture them as reactions to events. Thus, if we become angry and lash out, it is in reaction to someone's goading us or instigating conflict. However, we often think of other folks' behavior in different terms: when they lash out in anger, we often think of it as symbolic of their person as a whole.

He continues with other examples and the genetic 'explanation' behind them.
I'm kind of a science non-fiction nerd, so this really intrigues me.
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

"Pocket Guide to the Afterlife", by Jason Boyett.

I also read his "Pocket Guide to Sainthood."

This is one irreverent and funny Christian. Good stuff.

Bart
aka Dromedary Hump
http://theatheistcamelchronicles.blogspot.com/
booklover7809
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Early days but really enjoying it... Also giving a copy away on book review blog...

booklover7809
http://bookloverbookreviews.blogspot.com/
http://wordpuzzleweekly.blogspot.com/

Return to “Everything Else”