• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Did the man "Jesus" exist?

Unread post

DWill wrote:I wouldn't call polemics a "view", in the same class as the first two you mentioned. It's an intent whereby the speaker decides that dispassionate argument isn't going to carry the day, so he takes a more aggressive approach. I enjoy a good polemic, but it's so hard to this well, without merely asserting what would need to be proved, and sometimes flirting with name-callling.
Wikipedia says "A polemic is intended to establish the supremacy of a single point of view by refuting an opposing point of view. Polemic usually addresses serious matters of religious, philosophical, political, or scientific importance, and is often written to dispute or refute a widely accepted position." JS Mill said "The worst offense that can be committed by a polemic is to stigmatize those who hold a contrary opinion as bad and immoral men."

Polemic comes from the Greek for war, polemos, so it naturally aims to prove the opposing view is obsolete and wrong. I regard religious polemic as justified, simply because the quality of religious understanding is so low, and the need for religious understanding is so great. In this context polemical argument can have an educative value.

In religion, language carries a lot of baggage. For example, apologist is a term that is used with pride by theologians, but has come to have a strongly negative popular meaning as denoting a liar. Maybe that popular meaning is something theologians should ruminate on, but I was not asserting that all conventional theologians are liars by any means, only that they are wrong. To confront apologetics as intellectually vacuous is an obviously polemical stance, but not one that falls prey to the vice described by Mill. I do not agree with Interbane that I have been sloppy in discussion of conflicting views. I try to be precise.
what the Catholic Church promoted was the central Christ myth as reported in the Bible. The Church wasn't particularly known for its detailed fundamentalism.
Fundamentalism, like apologetics, is a word with baggage. The explicit fundamentalist movement in the USA a century ago had strong continuity with older dogmas that did not use that term. As an intellectual concept, fundamentalism is the attitude that you are completely correct and that all questioning of your views is evil. Biblical inerrancy is a relatively recent manifestation of this attitude, but it goes back firstly to the Protestant Reformation with the rediscovery of the Bible, and then to the Inquisition and to early efforts to stamp out heresy. If you read old books like Against Heresies by Irenaeus you will see that the Roman Church did in fact hold to detailed views that are very much fundamentalist. The big debate on whether the Son was co-eternal with the Father was a debate about fundamentals. The Orthodox held that the Gnostics were fundamentally wrong in seeing a symbolic link between the twelve disciples and the twelve months of the year.
But how can we give God some symbolic truth yet be required to reject him intellectually? I don't have that kind of split mind. I'm not even sure I know what you mean when you say the Apostle's (singular or plural?) Creed appeals to you as a myth. Maybe it's me. Here's another thought, that what you respond to in myth is best classified as beauty, as aesthetics. Maybe in all of our discussions of religion we omit the importance of beauty. Could this also be, essentially, what you feel a total reliance on science deprives people of? Not that I would agree that science and beauty are at all in opposition (nor would you, I think).
This is all really central to rehabilitating theology. For example, if we define God as the set of requirements for human flourishing, then it can be socially useful to anthropomorphise this abstract set of moral values etc as an entity, even though a mathematical set is not strictly speaking an entity. The popular tradition has systemically corrupted such abstract ideas into simple images, which is why the Ten Commandments ban idols. The Historical Jesus has become an idol.

The Virgin Birth is a beautiful story, for example as a symbol of each new day emerging from the purity of night. Nature is the ultimate aesthetic, and that is why I see supernaturalism as such a degraded vision. Ironically, it is supernaturalism that is a human creation, whereas the real creator spirit of our universe is purely a matter of natural law. This means the supernatural church is guilty of what Paul attacked the Romans for in worshipping the creation rather than the creator, in the sense that church theology worships a God that they themselves have made as a totem.

It is a seductive practice, to explain a complex abstract idea by means of a simple visual symbol. It helps the mass of illiterate believers to follow. But as with the sorceror's apprentice, the tool becomes the master.
it doesn't seem likely that things start with a story known to be just a story--for purposes of entertainment, supposedly? It seems more likely that people's need or desire to believe shapes the story in particular ways.
If the Jesus Myth has continuity with pagan traditions of dying and rising saviors, then we have to ask if those pagan traditions regarded their myths as true in the way that Christianity regards its myths as true. I suspect that it was an innovation of Christianity to assert that its God walked and talked and went to the toilet. Such a carnal materialism might never have previously occurred to earlier myths, which readily saw their fertility fetishes as imaginary.
consider just as a hypothetical this scenario: some fervent followers of a messiah-like figure face the shock of their savior's ignominious execution. What might their states of mind cause them to think is true? Could hysteria lead them to begin, right then and there, the myth that became Jesus Christ? Your scenario of Chinese whispers begins with a group of stories, all supposedly transmitted orally, that everyone takes as metaphorical. Is that likely to be the case with an oral tradition? Isn't is always a coterie of elites that diverge with an esoteric interpretation? Chinese whispers also doesn't sort with coming to believe over time that stories are true rather than symbolic. That phenomenon is only about mistakes being introduced along the way.
The comment I made about Chinese Whispers was at http://www.booktalk.org/post55245.html#p55245
"the idea of the meme as an evolving and mutating idea is very helpful to interpret the origins of Christianity. A key point is that in an oral culture, the weight of moral stories is increased by falsely claiming that invented fictions are historically based. This would go through several stages, each of which could last decades as the view of a community –
1. I know its false;
2. I heard that it is false;
3. I don’t know if its true or false;
4. It may be true;
5. It is probably true
6. It is definitely true
7. If you so much as ask if it is true you are a heretic and blasphemer and will go to hell."

Your point is that an alternative memetic evolution is possible
1. Our hero was crucified
2. Our hero was a messianic savior
3. Messianic saviors are meant to triumph over evil
4. Because our savior was a messiah, he must have triumphed
5. Therefore he rose from the dead
6. Therefore he is a miraculous God
7. Therefore all stories of heroes that can plausibly accrete to our hero should be attributed to him in order to aid the growth of our cult.

This is the traditional evemerist line, and there is nothing to disprove it. However, I do not believe it. The main problems include the scanty references to such a real messiah figure before the gospels were written several generations later, and the equal plausibility that numerous such heroes contributed to the myth, not just one. The Gospels and Epistles read like a response by mystery schools to a new historical situation, an experiment with a public fictional story that rapidly grew out of their control.
If there was a model for a ur-Christ, this isn't the Jesus Christ that resulted from all the accretion over the decades. There doesn't have to be, and of course there likely wasn't, any Jesus Christ who lived. As for the second temple trauma, that was no doubt crucial, and it is likely that Jews reached pretty far back to gather around them the most comforting parts of history and myth. Whether they recognized the difference is again key. By this time they did have an interesting mix to draw on, a combination of Jewish historical-sounding narrative and the myth and religion of Greece and the Middle East.
To say "there likely wasn't any Jesus Christ who lived" is the precise point at issue in this thread. If the Epistles and Gospels found it expedient that one man should exist, in order that all might believe, we find here a better explanation for the line in John 11: "it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish... and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one."

To unify the scattered faithful requires a single agreed narrative. As such, the numerous disparate sources had to be brought together into a story of one man. If Jesus did not exist, it would have been necessary to invent him.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ant, Ehrman has argued that the early church is riddled with fraud and lies but nonetheless that Jesus exists. It looks to me like he defers to believers on this question.
All I'm saying is that you are making it sound as if Ehrman is arguing against himself in some idiotic manner because he has researched and published about suspected/confirmed forgeries found in testament manuscripts.

Before making broad assumptions you need to actually read some of his work. I suggest reading Jesus Interrupted and Forged.
If you have read any of his works, I'm unaware that you have and you have obviously dismissed most if not all of it.

Quite frankly, if anything, his extensive research regarding forgery should be a clear indication that he is a serious scholar that is not interested in appeasing Christian apologists or passing out club memberships to people who agree that the H J existed. You are over simplifying his position. That is my opinion.

Look at his credentials. He's not just some guy with a BA in ancient history.

http://www.bartdehrman.com/curriculum.htm
Last edited by ant on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Don't jump to conclusions ant. I haven't dismissed Ehrman, I have simply pointed out that there is an apparent tension between his scholarly work on the fraudulent nature of early Christian writings and his assessment that nonetheless the Gospels provide reliable information about the existence of Jesus. To disagree is not to dismiss. My own view is that the evidence suggests the most plausible explanation is that Jesus was invented holus bolus. As I said in reply to DWill above, there is more than one way to interpret the available data.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Don't jump to conclusions ant. I haven't dismissed Ehrman, I have simply pointed out that there is an apparent tension between his scholarly work on the fraudulent nature of early Christian writings and his assessment that nonetheless the Gospels provide reliable information about the existence of Jesus. To disagree is not to dismiss. My own view is that the evidence suggests the most plausible explanation is that Jesus was invented holus bolus. As I said in reply to DWill above, there is more than one way to interpret the available data.

Thank you for clarifying.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: Wikipedia says "A polemic is intended to establish the supremacy of a single point of view by refuting an opposing point of view. Polemic usually addresses serious matters of religious, philosophical, political, or scientific importance, and is often written to dispute or refute a widely accepted position." JS Mill said "The worst offense that can be committed by a polemic is to stigmatize those who hold a contrary opinion as bad and immoral men."

Polemic comes from the Greek for war, polemos, so it naturally aims to prove the opposing view is obsolete and wrong. I regard religious polemic as justified, simply because the quality of religious understanding is so low, and the need for religious understanding is so great. In this context polemical argument can have an educative value.

In religion, language carries a lot of baggage. For example, apologist is a term that is used with pride by theologians, but has come to have a strongly negative popular meaning as denoting a liar. Maybe that popular meaning is something theologians should ruminate on, but I was not asserting that all conventional theologians are liars by any means, only that they are wrong. To confront apologetics as intellectually vacuous is an obviously polemical stance, but not one that falls prey to the vice described by Mill. I do not agree with Interbane that I have been sloppy in discussion of conflicting views. I try to be precise.
Still, polemic is not in itself a view. But that is a minor point. J. S. Mill was a wise man; he spoke truly. Though stigmatizing the opposition as bad and immoral is probably rare, a lesser stigmatization is common. Wielding the label 'apologist' is an example. What possible difference does make to an argument that you consider someone an apologist? That way, you go into the argument thinking she is wrong, when there are many things she could say that even you would agree are true. Address the argument itself; otherwise you are casting aspersions and engaging in subtle stigmatizing. The same is true of someone wielding the term 'mythicist' as a shorthand for 'misled.' That person is also stigmatizing. It's all under the ad hominem umbrella.

I'll just state my personal view about mixing polemic with history. Truth will almost always suffer because the polemic stance comes first in the writer's mind, and treating history properly comes second. Niebuhr had many good things to say about the illusion that any of us know enough about history's direction and purpose to enlist history in service of our convictions, which are things of the moment.
This is all really central to rehabilitating theology. For example, if we define God as the set of requirements for human flourishing, then it can be socially useful to anthropomorphise this abstract set of moral values etc as an entity, even though a mathematical set is not strictly speaking an entity. The popular tradition has systemically corrupted such abstract ideas into simple images, which is why the Ten Commandments ban idols. The Historical Jesus has become an idol.
And again, as I've said before, why theology needs to exist at all given what you say is a total mystery to me as well as to others.
The Virgin Birth is a beautiful story, for example as a symbol of each new day emerging from the purity of night. Nature is the ultimate aesthetic, and that is why I see supernaturalism as such a degraded vision. Ironically, it is supernaturalism that is a human creation, whereas the real creator spirit of our universe is purely a matter of natural law. This means the supernatural church is guilty of what Paul attacked the Romans for in worshipping the creation rather than the creator, in the sense that church theology worships a God that they themselves have made as a totem.
I feel sure that the story of the virgin birth doesn't exist in order to symbolize that meaning, if that's what you're saying. The explanation of "then somebody came along and took it literally" seems very weak. Naturalism, by all means, yes. Why churcify it? I again don't see that at all.

I think ant's term "HJ" is an improvement over "evemerist." But neither term applies to someone who might think that
life as it's lived might also contribute to myths that rise up. And that is essentially what I was saying.
Last edited by DWill on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

youkrst wrote:the title of the thread "Re: Did the man "Jesus" exist?" begs the question.

which one?

the literalist jesus
No
the evemerist jesus
Possibly, but unlikely
the cosmic christ
Yes, but not as a man
the mythical composite jesus
Yes but not as a man
the mormon jesus
the JW jesus
the SDA jesus
These are just specific takes on the mythical composite
the jewish jesus
If Jesus was a Jew, then yes. If Jesus was fiction, then no.
the islamic jesus
No
seems to me like there are many interpretations and versions of jesus so in order to ask the question "did the man jesus" exist you first have to describe which jesus you mean.
[/quote]
The question here is whether there was an actual historical person who gave rise to the stories in the Bible. We can completely discount all views that conflict with historical evidence. That leaves the two options that 1. There was a real man around whom stories grew which eventually produced the Gospels, or 2. No such single man existed.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i'd like to take a look behind door number 2 thanks Robert :lol:

this next bit is just me trying to thrash out a perspective on the thing and not directed at anyone in particular. if you dont care then dont read.

the thing that i always think is even if there was some travelling healer that layed claim to inspiring the bible jesus thing what difference would that make? he wouldn't be bible jesus.

like if there was a skilled cat skinner who inspired the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat it still wouldn't make any difference to the famous saying because it has nothing to do with skinning cats.

to me it is so obvious that bible jesus is a symbol representing an aspect of man, a higher second self so to speak, a person suffers when this aspect is neglected or unrecognised, jesus stumbling down the street carrying the cross is just me dragging my body down the street of life on the way to metaphorically dying so that a better me can rise from out among the dead, dead in the lower self so to speak.

this better newer me can rise from out among the dead me, can calm the stormy waters of life emotion and distress that the lower self is overwhelmed by, this christ in you the hope of glory is the very truest deepest essence that cannot be corrupted or defiled by all the stupid stuff unconscious ignorant me might do, he heals the sick me, he gives sight to the blind me, he raises the dead me to newness of life that is far more abundant than mere existence and buying a house and car kind of stuff.

if some guy zapped in from the past and said "i'm the guy they based the jesus story on and they crucified me", i'd probably respond with "pffffft crucifiction is just a metaphor for a part of you "dying" and correspondingly ressurection is just a metaphor for newer better aspects of you coming to be", and if he responded yeah but god is my father i'd say "big deal, mine too"

and if he responded "but i am the way the truth and the life the only way to the father" i'd be like "ok frak off you impostor because the way the truth and the life reside within me"

i'm trying to say all this in baby talk rather than delve into the technical aspects.

but it just saddens me as it does all of us that have seen through the literalist delusion that so many people still buy it and sell it.

i mean look at the OP
Doubting if Jesus ever walked the earth has always puzzled me.

really!?! in the story the guys own disciples doubted him LOL
I've concluded that what is really being denied is not his actual existence, but ascribing divinity to the man.
bad conclusion that totally misses the point, a thing can be metaphorically truest truth and yet literally false eg, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, metaphorically true literally quite suspect.
so it appears they are willing to go one step further and claim that he never was even a true historical figure.
how dare they!! what are they thinking, talk about muddy waters
As a historical figure, the general consensus among biblical scholars is that Jesus probably did in fact exist, at the very least.
yes and the general consensus among nickelback fans is that nickelback are quite good to excellent but i think they are appallingly crap.
Why do atheists insist that he most likely did not?
errrrr because he didn't

look say someone shows up and says "hey everyone look at this! i've got the actual bird in the hand from the famous saying here" "this is the one! i've had it stuffed"

i found it with a letter from tacitus saying "verily this is the birdus maximus spoken of in the saying and verily it is worth two in the bush, with love Tacitus"

i mean how i wish people would wake up and smell the metaphorical coffee!
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Did the man Jesus exist?

The only honest answer would be to say "I don't know." That should be the scholarly consensus if honesty is a factor. I think that will be the logical result of the Christ myth debate on future society. Claiming to know with certainty is becoming unfashionable because it can't be proven.

You either don't know but think it's possible that he might have existed or you don't know and think that he might not have even existed.

And youkrst's point is sound - so what if he did?
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The fact that mythicists look only to confirm their theories is telling.
Also, mythicists apparently do not considered mythicism to be unfalsifiable. This goes to the essence of Popper's demarcation which setsforth certain criteria to distinguish science from pseudo science.

Definitive proof is demanded for the existence of the H J while claiming that as long as mythicism has not been falsified, that is enough.

I stand by my assertion that as long as mythicism is not open to peer review, it is pseudo history. That does not mean it can never become more than pseudo history.

Bart Ehrman's ebook is due out late March. I believe he will address this.
Last edited by ant on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ant wrote:The fact that mythicists look only to confirm their theories is telling.
dunning-kruegger ? :lol:

ant i was a literalist for years i used to try and confirm literalism as if my life depended on it, that's partly how i came to see that it's all a metaphor through the study of comparitive mythology and decoding the common symbols and mythic motifs that are every page of the bible.

you personally have not typed anything in any of your posts here that gives any reason to doubt that walking on water is a metaphor as is rising from the dead.
ant wrote:Definitive proof is demanded for the existence of the H J while claiming that as long as mythicism has not been falsified, that is enough.
doh! the fact that the jesus story in the bible conforms to common mythological motifs has certainly wowed me and made it obvious to me that when we are reading about jesus in the bible we are dealing with symbol allegory and metaphor the evidence for a HJ in the evemerist style is crap everytime i've seen it presented (more times than i care to remember)
ant wrote:I stand by my assertion that as long as mythicism is not open to peer review, it is pseudo history.
dunning-kruegger? :lol:

pseudo history? it's simply a matter of seeing all the motifs in the bible jesus story in heaps of other ancient texts.

i was reading some old sumerian thing just yesterday and spotted in one page two or three sections easily identified in the bible.

ant you remind me of stahwre :lol:

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”