• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DianaB007
Getting Comfortable

Re: Currently reading?

Unread post

Rigid Bones wrote:Currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Loving it. It has an old world charm. For instance, I smiled to myself last night as I read, in Jonathan Harker's journal, just before he was heading out with Van Helsing to do a bit of vampire slaying..."We were prepared for some unpleasantness".
If you enjoy "Dracula" as much as I do, I would also recommend, "The Historian", (2005, Elizabeth Kostova). Excellent recent novel involving the character of Dracula. Of course, it does not contain the Victorian setting that is so appealing in Bram Stoker's novel, but it is a mystery that is beautifully written.

Another interesting offshoot of Dracula is "The Book of Reinfeld: A Gospel of Dracula" (2005, Tim Lucas). A clever retelling from Reinfields point of view. :oldtimer:

Diana
DianaB007
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. A good mystery, and one that keeps you interested with little
cliffhangers, moving backwards and forwards in time, which is a technique I admire.

Diana
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Virgin In The Garden by A.S.Byatt.
Darnell1981
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am currently finishing up "god is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.
A very good book showing religion/god to be man made and why they should be dropped. I especially liked learning about the bits on mother teresa and gandhi. Though I was a bit disappointed about his take on John Paul the second.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

@Darnell...I thought that the information about MT was very interesting and really enlightening. If yu enjoy Hitchens you might want to read his Autobiography.
Darnell1981
Official Newbie!

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:@Darnell...I thought that the information about MT was very interesting and really enlightening. If yu enjoy Hitchens you might want to read his Autobiography.
Thanks for the suggestion. He is definitely well spoken and through this book it sounds like he has had a interesting life.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”