• In total there are 103 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 103 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Count of Monte Cristo

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Tiffani A
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo

Unread post

Wow! 700 pages in. That is awesome. I am way way behind you. I like your thoughts on the name ideas. I'm going to spend a little more time reading the book. I love how the book sucks me in and I am there in Marseilles with them.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Take your time Tiffani.

I've started writing down the list of characters and their relationship to one another. It's starts to get a little confusing trying to remember these relationships and these relationships get very important towards the end.

I'm glad you are enjoying the book, I am too. I agree with you, Dumas really pulls you into the setting, characters and story. He is truly a master story teller.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I have to admit, I don't think I noticed that Suzanne :) That's interesting.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

What may be most interesting is the name, Edmond Dantes. Dumas does mention Dante's "Inferno" in CMC. Is there any connection between Edmond Dantes and Dante's"Inferno"? There could be. Edmond loses his strong belief in God while in the dungeon. I can think of no lower place, or no lower level of exsistance for a man than in that horrible pit. Edmond works his way up, through the levels of hell, as in Dante's "Inferno", passing all the crimes of each level to finally reach the top, crawl out of hell, and once again embrace God. Dante's "Inferno" in reverse. Hmmm???

Or, I could be full of shit
Tiffani A
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well...
You could be but when it sounds that good, you gotta just to with it. I'm reading NOW!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I haven't read Dante but that also sounds very interesting.
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I listened to this as an audible book years ago. It took 3 listens (at nearly 47 hours for the whole book) to get the general story and characters down. In order to understand the circumstances (why it was such a big deal the letter Dante' carried) I listened to 2 books on Napoleon, and one on Waterloo to tie everything together.

I'm currently listening to a lecture Living the French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon and this book sprang to mind again.
On the thin ice of modern life...
jawaidh
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Doing the effort to read a book is on the decline and people are looking for an alternative way to enjoy books. Audible books is the new trend now and Amazon has a FREE offer of a 30 day trial where they give 2 free audio-books as well. It’s worth checking out
Audible Membership Plans - Compare (https://amzn.to/2G4xVqb)

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”