• In total there are 27 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Are Audio Books Harmful?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Re: Are Audio Books Harmful?

Unread post

As a special edition teacher for many years, I can attest to the benefits as described above.

With regard to my own learning, I use the audio form in a couple of ways. These days I am using the format to improve my French. I download French podcasts and listen to them as I walk my dog.
I also use the audio format when I want to learn some content really well. A couple of times I have purchased a book in audio and hard copy. I read the book and then listen to it again - while walking the dog, of course.
bookstasted
Getting Comfortable

Re: Are Audio Books Harmful?

Unread post

My personal opinions: The reason that TV and movies are not as beneficial as reading is because there is no use of the mind to imagine what's happening - it's given to you audibly and visibly, so you are a passive viewer. When you read, your mind is translating the words into audio and visuals, so you are actively engaging with the work.

With audio books, you may not be translating words into audio, but you are still converting words into mental images. Therefore you are still actively engaging your mind.

My own problem with audio books is that they make me think of something, and my mind digresses. With a book, I stop reading while I think. With audio, I forget to pause and so I end up missing chunks of the material. :)

If you're interested in research on the subject, you might check out:

Beers, K. (1998). Listen while you read: Struggling readers and audiobooks. School Library Journal, 44(4), 30-35.

Casberque, R.M. and Harris, K. (1996). Listening and literacy: Audiobooks in the reading program. Reading Horizons, 37(1), 48-59.

Reitsma, P. (1988). Reading practice for beginners: Effects of guided reading, reading-while-listening, and independent reading with computer-based speech feedback. Reading Research Quarterly, 23(2), 219-235.
My Book Review Blog: http://www.bookstasted.com

Return to “Everything Else”