• In total there are 82 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 81 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Belief in God

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: Belief in God

Unread post

Quote:Many who hold your beliefs would not waste a second in the conversation you and I have hadAs I see it, these folks don't hold my beliefs, nor I theirs...otherwise, I wouldn't be having this conversation either.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:I guess I mean, if my son died... a light came down from heaven... a voice boomed out "let him live!"... and he got up, completely healed... I would absolutely believe in God. A miracle would be something that could not be explained by other causes.I do not feel you are being specific enough Queen! :PMr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Edited by: misterpessimistic at: 7/13/04 12:25 pm
RickU

Unread post

I understand where Hive is coming from...but I'm not sure there IS an event..even the one she described...that won't be possible someday...or perhaps is possible now, just not by our species...
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

My mind would immediately jump to "advanced alien civilization playing games" and/or, "the emotional impact has driven me mad".My next thought would probably be suspicion. Did the agent so skilled at resurrection have something to do with the "death"? After all, it's the easiest way to pull such scams off. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Do you think that Jesus was just a very skilled con-artist? Me and my friend discussed this once...it is very entertaining to consider.Say he knew that by mixing two chemicals, you could turn water a reddish color, or that he knew that at a certain time the water level in a certain body of water diminished and that a strip of land just below the surface was available to walk on.Man, he pulled the wool over so many eyes for about 2000 years. If he was, he deserves the award for best con artist ever!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

There is a book on the topic, very popular in the 60's: The Passover Plot.No I don't think that, if the person actually even existed, he was a con artist. Where was the profit? I mean, we look at this in hindsight and say, yea it would be cool to be famous for centuries, but would that really motivate a prestidigitator? Most cons just want the money (or sex). If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Who knows how many groupies this guy may have had? I will check out that book, if for nothing else than a laugh.I have, but have not started yet, the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". Have you ever heard of it or read it? It presents the Historical Jesus as an average person, refuting the Bible stories.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
RickU

Unread post

Edited out because I'm a moron! Edited by: RickU at: 7/14/04 5:12 am
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

No, but it's not really my cuppa t If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Rick:I confused...What strip of land? I was talking about Jesus walking on water.Higher Ground is good, I stay there more often than not...but I need to regress every once in a while... Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”