• In total there are 75 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:I would prefer reading Tempesta's Dream rather than science fiction. I never understand why men love science fiction soooo much :)???
I like opera. See the following for a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9vwropzAO8

Of course, I would love it if we chose "Desire and Red Wine..."
Have you ever read science fiction or fantasy?
-Geo
Question everything
Dina von Lowenkraft
Official Newbie!

Re: WANTED: Fiction Book Suggestions for our January, February & March Discussion

Unread post

Greetings to all :-)

I wasn't going to suggest my own book, but I see that people have been enthusiastic about the idea of discussing with the author, so I would like to suggest my book as did calaf68. Since I have only just joined the site and am jumping in late, I understand if my book can not be considered for this round of votes/reading options.

I would LOVE to discuss my debut YA fantasy about shapeshifting dragons set in the Arctic town of Tromso, Norway with readers - especially since I am currently revising another book in the same world and your feedback could help improve future books.

DRAGON FIRE came out as an e-book in August 2013 and in print just a few days ago. The e-book is significantly cheaper :-)

Book Blurb:

Some choices are hard to live with.
But some choices will kill you.

When seventeen-year-old Anna first meets Rakan in her hometown north of the Arctic Circle, she is attracted to his pulsing energy. Unaware that he is a shape-shifting dragon, Anna is drawn into a murderous cycle of revenge that pits Rakan and his clan against her best friend June.

Torn between his forbidden relationship with Anna, punishable by death, and restoring his family’s honor by killing June, Rakan must decide what is right. And what is worth living – or dying – for.

A few reviews (more on Goodreads and Amazon - there are only a few reviews on B&N)

from Midwest Book Reviews
Set in the mysterious, alluring Arctic, Dragon Fire is a mesmerizing debut novel about a girl torn between the shape-shifting dragon she loves and the best friend she must stay loyal to.

When Rakan is sent to Tromso high school by his mother in order to restore their family's honor and destroy their enemy dragon Jing Mei, he never thought his attraction to Anna, a human, would complicate matters. But, for one thing, Jing Mei -- aka June -- is none other than Anna's best friend, and to make things worse, Rakan's mother expects him to seduce and deceive Anna to get information.

In fact, she expects him to stop at nothing and to stay loyal to the dragon code, which includes disregarding humans and using them as pawns. Yet, something different about Anna touches a deep core within him, and even though loving a human is punishable by death, he can't stop.

When Anna first sees Rakan, she immediately senses the strange animal-like energy emanating from him. He seems to like her, but his mood swings leave her hurt and frustrated. What is going on between him and her best friend June? Do they share a past? If yes, is it a romantic one? What, in fact, does Rakan want from Anna? Does he really care about her, or is he only using her for his own ends?

Dina Von Lowenkraft's world-building is rich, original, and fascinating. The setting is vividly laid out, transporting the reader into a genuinely different world. There are also an array of intriguing, interesting characters, such as Rakan's wilful half-sister Dvara, and Anna's predator-like soon-to-be-stepfather Ulf.

The prose is beautifully clean and the dialogue sparkles. Filled with intrigue, romantic tension, and sensual imagery, this is a must-read for fans of dragon stories and young adult paranormal!

from Library Journal:

When teen Anna Strom meets new students Dawa Ngari and Dawa's brother Pemba, she is inexplicably attracted to Pemba, but both he and his sister are interested mostly in Anna's best friend, June. In fact, the two visiting Tibetan students are dragons, and they suspect that June may have something to do with the death of one of their own.

VERDICT This fantasy debut, set in a small town in the Arctic Circle, blends a story of teenage love and heartbreak with a fantasy revolving around a small society of dragons. The Arctic background with its brief summers and interminable winters lends itself well to a fantasy about a culture in danger of becoming frozen in its ways. Suitable for both YA and adult readers, this unusual fantasy should appeal to fans of dragon tales.

I would love the opportunity to exchange with readers about my book, if it interests you...
cheers,
Dina
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Geo, in my opinion all fiction books are more or less fantasy, starting with childhood fairy tales. Some fiction books are more realistic than others, and I prefer the more realistic ones. Some of my favorites are: The Thorn Birds, The Mermaid Chair, The Da Vinci Code, The Last Juror, For One More Day, just to name a few.
Between the Oceans - not so much, the moral dilemmas were not solved realistically, too sad...
Couldn't get through First Circle by Solzenitsyn...:) - too depressing, monotonous, repetitive...

Have never read a science fiction book. The subject matter just does not appeal to me...maybe I don't know what I'm missing :)!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

When most people think of or refer to fantasy they mean books that contain magic or the supernatural elements. Fantasy is my favorite genre by far.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

New suggestion: "Deepest Doors" by Paul Winters, a mystery and suspense novel, great new writer, 5 stars on Amazon. Writing quality is good! I believe he is a member on Booktalk.

"Two sets of fugitives Two sets of enemies One bizarre encounter When a chance collision with a beautiful woman in Central Park results in a head injury, international business consultant James McBride’s perfectly structured and rote life suddenly begins to unravel as he learns that every memory he has seems to be false and, in fact, he is not the same person that he thinks he is. James McBride is a workaholic who thinks his life is almost perfect the way it is. He goes into the office early, stays late, works weekends, travels to exotic locations and has no ambitions of a wife, girlfriend or any type of social life. With a spectacular Park Avenue apartment and all the material goods a person could want, he is content with his seemingly perfectly planned, albeit one-dimensional, existence. All of this changes one afternoon after a collision with Sarah Plummer, a beautiful and free-spirited woman, forces him to ‘break routine’. Injured and dazed by a fall, she helps him to her apartment to rest. He awakens confused, only to be talked into doing something he could not ever recall doing; taking the day off. By the next day, they find themselves being pursued by people from his firm, singularly intent on killing her and capturing him. Only by a bizarre encounter with Bob Eaton, a white-hat computer hacker and security consultant, himself on the run from the mafia, does he begin to unravel the reason for these events, and understand how they can confront their respective enemies. Deep in the mind, beyond the deepest doors, is the truth"
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Nice daughter Tulip! Attractive and talented.
jayerothman
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I would like to offer my book "The Hell Of Osirak" for the next discussion.
It's an interesting read based on a true story, set in five countries in 1981.
Think Argo.
I'm more than willing to chat and discuss my book with readers.
Jaye
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We need feedback on each of the suggestions made. Only suggestions that have some serious interest will be considered.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I am willing to partake in discussions and questions about my novel and writing. The novel is Tempesta's Dream - A Story of Love, Friendship and Opera. It is the story of an aspiring opera singer growing up in Milan. It is part love story, part coming of age, and part historical.

It is available in both Print and as an Ebook at numerous outlets.

It has a 4.75 review average at Amazon. It has a 4.5 review average at Goodreads. It topped an Amazon top 10 best selling list for World literature, where it is currently sitting at number 9.

Here is the link to Amazon to see some reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Tempestas-Dream-V ... rds=lococo

Thanks.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Calaf, I'm having a Tempestas dream. It's a dream about an author that continually plugs his own book. It's more of a nightmare, really.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”