• In total there are 77 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Hello everyone -

dbooks: Garrison Keillor is an American writer who is quite popular here, but I think his books are probably a little bit too "American" to appeal to the rest of the world. That's what I was wondering; I imagine there are authors who are very popular in one country but unknown in others. But then, Willa Cather was a very "American" author and I think she is well known around the world, isn't she?

Yes, Theomanic, that is exactly who I was referring to - Anne Perry. She's still quite popular among female readers in America. Somewhere out there, there must be a book (non-fiction) detailing this story and her life. I'm not surprised she herself dos not want to disuss it. I vaguely remember seeing Heavenly Ceatures quite a while ago - mostly memorable because it was based on a true story and for the fact that one of the girls went on to become a best-selling author. I wonder what ever happened to the other girl.

Oh, Ophelia, do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? More than a hint, I think. Surely you, as a college professor, cannot deny that much of what your students read is not of their own choosing, no?

Thanks for the Anne Perry website, dbooks. I'd love to know (read) the whole story, but probably won't find it there.

Ralph
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Ophelia said:
Actually, we're dilligently working on a fool-proof way of preventing any reading by members apart from official BT selections. I'll let you know how we're progressing (and meanwhile, enjoy those last free reads).
ROFL This was pretty funny! :laugh:
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Yes, Ralph, this was just a joke, not sarcasm. :smile:

I actually don't associate students with the idea of reading lists because I teach in a secondary school, and only my colleagues in French lit give set reading.
Ophelia.
ralphinlaos

Unread post

I have no idea what ROFL means; does everyone else?
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Rolling On the Floor Laughing
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

comments on postings

Unread post

Theomanic, you mentioned that comments from readers on your writings didn't mean much to you unless you knew them. One fellow posted to my blog, "Lawrence, please send me the secret decoder ring so I can understand what the hell you are saying." I'm ROFL and I take him very seriously when I do my rewrite. This place is fun. L
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You aren't going to let me forget about that so easy, are you Lawrence?!?! :laugh:

I apologized for that comment if you didn't see the post. I'm ashamed you brought it back up. Well, I hope that it's water under the bridge now.
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

I loved it

Unread post

Pres,
You don't understand, I haven't been able to communicate effectively with anyone since the second grade. I know I don't talk like other folks but being on BookTalk allowed me to say"Hey, it's OK" do the best you can do. I really believe the rewrite will more clearly state the essence of what is in the blog. I just wish others would comment. I gleam much from honest comments. So, ashamed be not. You are my new best friend. L
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Great. Now I feel like a monster. BT isn't doing anything for my self esteem.
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Oh, President Camacho, I don't think you will ever have self-esteem issues. But I do think you are in danger of becoming the official mascot around here - not a bad thing at all.

Now I'm going to go and see if I need a decoder ring to make sense of Lawrenceindestin's blog (I certainly can't figure out that handle of his).

Ralph

Return to “Everything Else”