• In total there are 80 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 79 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Anti-Christian Bias in American Society

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Grim: "Yes, and in this arguement are the dissenting atheists any better than the religious believer, merely lower themselves to the level where an arugment is validated in some way by opinion?"

I'm sure some atheists believe without using critical thinking skills, as do a certain number from any belief. The atheistic stance, however, doesn't need an argument. It is more by default, as Chris says.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

However; the dispostional belief you mention, correctly, suggests a strong correlation to the feelings of certainty - a decidedly equally unreasonable functioning of the healthy human brain than belief. Certainty to a degree which is required for evolution (haha I kid)!! Seriously though I think one of Robert Burtons main points was that feelings of the dispositional belief variety are required for normal functioning in a world where our understanding of the surroundings is less than perfect. It was also interesting that you mentioned belief being grounded in a reality that is not based on critical thinking and is irrational, or non-scientific if you will. An interesting stipulation that alludes to the need for certainty.

Perhaps those who argue loudest against, or in favour of religion require a certainty they nuerologically are lacking? Evolutionarly speaking of course (zing)!!

:book:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I think we need certainty, or at least the option of summarization that it gives us. We can't be uncertain of everything, or we'd have so many loose ends and unanswered questions we'd go insane. These dispositional beliefs, keep in mind, are beliefs we aren't aware of, or haven't focused our mind's eye on for analytical due diligence.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

And so we come to see evolution as the literary crutch it is.

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Hrm? What's the relation to evolution from certainty you're seeing? The certainty dialogue seemed tangential.

I'm too lazy to play detective right now to figure out what you're getting at, no offense :neutral: . One of my wrestlers elbowed me in the face, and now I might need stitches.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Sorry, I am one to traverse explainations, or topics incessantly.

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Traversing from evolution to certainty lead you to the conclusion that evolution is a literary crutch? Where along the trek did you make that connection?

PS: I don't need stitches, I used duct tape! :mrgreen:

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”