• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

The End of the Scientific Age

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

It was Marx who wrote that one day the only science will be the science of history.

:book:
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Sorry, Brotherska, I agree with Geo. You're argument sounds like a generalization to me. You said that the scientific approach "is to verify the assumptions upon which interpretations/ opinions/ assertions are based". And you listed various disciplines in which this can be used. Life is a lot more complicated than you are making it sound. Different people have different reactions in different situations. Different societies have different political agendas, beliefs, and needs. I think that to take the entire world and say that the world is only this way is limiting and does not apply the scientific approach that you are arguing for.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

The scientific establishment has replaced the Roman Catholic Church in its intolerence of scientific desent.

Go Ben Stein.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

please show us some of this scientific dissent which has been suppressed. I am interested to see what you might be talking about.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Johnson1010
Please show us some of this scientific dissent which has been suppressed. I am interested to see what you might be talking about.
I think he is talking about the “science” of the creationist’s movement… he really thinks that its science… :laugh:

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

:mbounce:
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

“We, the undersigned American citizens, urge the adoption of policies by our nation's academic institutions to ensure teacher and student academic freedom to discuss the scientific strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian evolution. Teachers should be protected from being fired, harassed, intimidated, or discriminated against for objectively presenting the scientific strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian theory. Students should be protected from being harassed, intimidated, or discriminated against for expressing their views about the scientific strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian theory in an appropriate manner.”

Who is willing to sign up to this?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

That's all well and good Star, but the problem is that there are people who think evolution isn't a fact. Such idiots would take advantage of the phrasing of that pledge to further their religious agendas. This is unacceptable.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

:mbounce:

Judging by the emoticon you included, this quote gives you great pleasure. I hope it also provides you with a sense of self satisfaction so you can comfortably dismiss religious people as terrorists or potential terrorists.

It is true that throughout History there have been people who have been quick to use people's beliefs to promote their own economic and social interests, and it is true that religious groups attract their share of ecentrics. On the other hand, before you get too comfortable in your complete dismissal of religion, and particularly Christianity, You should perhaps add an additional phrase to your quote so that it reads thus:

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings, Christianity is there to pick up the pieces."

I am a Southern Baptist, in 2008, the contribution of SBC churhes provided funds and volunteers to do the following:

2008 Activity Report
Volunteer Days 118,951
Meals Prepared 7,914,391
Mudout Jobs 2,647
Chainsaw Jobs 9,289
Repair Jobs 243
Roofing Jobs 295
Children Cared For 1176
Showers 90,497
Laundry Loads 33,775
Water (Gallons) 247,113
Messages Sent 2,152

Our contributions result in the following equipment available for use in disaster recovery/assistance

2009 Fleet Report - January 2009
Kitchens 124
Recovery (Chainsaw, Mudout, Rebuild, Roofing) 854
Command 12
Communication 18
Command and Communication Combined 14
Chaplain 235
Child Care 21
Shower 72
Laundry 17
Shower and Laundry Combined 69
Water (Purification, Bladder, Tanker) 41
Generator 673
Heavy Equipment (Back Hoe, Cherry Picker, Tractor, Forklift, Pallet Jack, Skid Steer) 83
Trailers (Utility, Dry Box, Refrigerated, Flat Bed,
Volunteer Shelter) 162
Motor Vehicles (ATV, Bucket Truck, Box Truck,
Dump Truck, Pickup Truck, Passenger Van,
Road Tractor, RV, Utility Vehicle, Transport Vehicle) 142
Support 32
Miscellaneous (Medical, Dental, Light Tower, etc.) 31

Total Units 2006

We run two fully equiped dental units to poor communities to provide dental care for those who could otherwise not afford it.

The Red Cross, Salvation Army, YMCA, CARE, Save the Children, and countless other organizations were founded to do works of charity for people.

Can you name Atheist sponsored groups with the same purpose?

Most of the Ivy Leage universities in this country were founded for the purpose of training preachers.

Can you name a major university founded by atheists?

The Soviet Union, and People's Republic of China made the State god. You can judge the results of that for yourself.

So don't tell me that religion makes people fly planes into buildings. No, it is the inherint wickedness within us that can be perverted to such ends. In fact, Christianity prevents utter chaos. Two thousand years ago, Jesus presented Himself as king of the Jews. The people welcomed Him, but the authorities conspired against Him and had Him killed. Had there been a different outcome then the last 2000 years would have been very different, but of course, then there would have been no church.

The Bible promises that there will come a time when Jesus will reign for 1,000 years. It will be a time of complete peace.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Star: "So don't tell me that religion makes people fly planes into buildings. No, it is the inherint wickedness within us that can be perverted to such ends."

I will tell you religion makes people fly into buildings, and I'll be correct. Those actions were motivated by religion. Such as the bombings done to soldiers in Iraq. And after the young men are dead, Christians will be there to say "Thank God for Dead Soldiers!"

Get off your high horse.

Return to “Science & Technology”