• In total there are 69 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

Yes

55%
No

45%

Total votes: 22
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Re: Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

Unread post

weaver wrote:When looking for a house, the real estate agent was going to show us a home in which a murder had taken place. We found out about the crime before the agent set up the appointment. We were tempted to go and pretend we were psychic and relay to the agent our ill feelings as we went through the house just to spook the agent. Decided not to be mean and canceled appt.

OH COME ON! That would have been awesome. You probably wouldn't have gotten the deal, though :hmm:
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

How horrific are we talking? Any supernatural elements involved? ;P

Like if it was a regular murder, um... depends on the price of the house. If it was something cult or suspicious deal, then heck no! Call me paranoid.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
weaver
Gaining experience

Unread post

A wife found out her husband was having an affair with his secretary and she shot him.
No bargain on house.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Hmmm.

There's a lot of factors involved, but it's a woman getting angry and shooting her husband, not some sort of serial killer, and if I like the house.. then sure, why not.

Unless there was a nicer house available or something.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Pinkpaper
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

There was a documentry in the UK a few years back where they went around and interviewed people who had moved in to houses where people had been murdered. The people who lived in these places either didnt care or had moved in because they had got such a good deal on the house.

I remember a couple being interviewed in their living room saying 'oh yes they were both stabbed to death right here in front of the fireplace'

and another man who said the only time he thinks about it is when hes doing work in the garden because theres a patch of grass which sinks abit because a women was buried there :o

I think I would though :)
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I doubt there are many places on this planet where murder has not been done. Why get bothered because it happened right here in this house I'm considering buying rather than next door or down the street? I wouldn't look for a deal, I wouldn't pay extra. It's just a house.

What about a house built on a battlefield? People were killed there, some in horrific ways, it was just before the house was built.

What about a house (or apartment, or hotel room) whose construction involved the accidental death of a worker?

How many hotel rooms have you stayed in where someone has died? How would you know? The desk staff doesn't usually tell guests about such things.

Would you go on a cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas and stay in the stateroom from which George Allen Smith disappeared?
Tom
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I don't think I could live in one. I too have an overactive imagination and I tend to freak myself out over the dumbest things in broad daylight. Me living in a 'supposed' haunted house...would be the same as a heart attack wish, in my case. haha. I don't have the guts to even visit a house/site like that.
give me the rainbow!
FuzzBunny
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Cool question. I have watched way too many horror movies and read too many scary books to ever live in a house that was part of a horrific murder. I would have nightmare every night. I do have a morbid fascination and would stay a night in any creepy place, but that is as far as I would go.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

All houses, the older ones, especially, probably have at least one nasty story in their history. If I knew about a particularly nasty incident, such as a brutal murder or suicide, before deciding on buying the home, I probably wouldn't go through with living there. Especially if it was a suicide, because it holds personal resonance with me, and I wouldn't be able to live there knowing someone had done that, especially if I knew the whole story. There'd be too much weirdness, given my own history with the subject. If I'd already bought the home before finding out, I'd have some serious thinking to do. I guess it would depend on the details of the house. Sometimes a place can feel so comfortable even a gruesome story doesn't faze you, but sometimes the place itself, with nothing extra to scare you, feels wrong. Buildings have their own personalities, with or without knowing their history.

Dead bodies in general aren't that odd. My parents' house is very old, old enough to predate funeral homes, meaning that wakes and viewings were held in what would have been the parlour at that time, so the bodies of dead family members were probably frequently displayed in the house. That never really bothered me, although other kids in my community used to think my house was haunted because it was so old and big and silent, one of those houses that creaks at night for no reason. I have to admit that even during my college years I was sometimes scared to be awake late at night. There's just something too eerie about a house with so much space and so much silence in the hours of the morning when everyone else on your side of the planet is asleep. Poetic, but creepy. ;)
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I believe we live in a time where we watch way to much movies about such a thing as buying a home in which the ghost of past spooks come out.

I grew up in a house that was built on an old Indian encampment that was killed out by small pox. Out behind our house were rocks marking the fountations of their homes.

I loved the house even though I knew the history of the land it rested on, granted it might not be quite the same as living in a house that a murder had taken place in.

Return to “Everything Else”