• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Kayta
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Unread post

I like Heinlein's Friday. It's interesting how well he described the social backlash against genetic tampering so many years before it was possible. The attitudes he describes about genetically improved humans are parallel to today's society's attitudes to GM crops.

Plus, he writes really kickass female heros! Instead of token women or sex objects.
"...if you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...
...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Yeah, I like Heinlein a lot... I especially like how in his futures, part of the US has become part of Canada! Represent!

I read Friday a long time ago... it was pretty interesting and made me consider what is "normal" and not normal in society. It also made me feel a secret passage out of ones house is a necessity.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Try these. Hogan was visionary and I dare you to read the first two books and see all the SciFi book and movie spin-offs that were created from it.

James P Hogan,

The series originally was a trilogy, but was expanded to five later on.

1. Inherit The Stars, May 1977, ISBN 0345301072
2. The Gentle Giants of Ganymede, May 1978, ISBN 0345290488
3. Giants' Star, July 1981, ISBN 0345287711
4. Entoverse, 1991, ISBN 1857230027
5. Mission To Minerva, January 2005, ISBN 0743499026
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Orson Scott Card wrote another book that I very much enjoyed, I was younger when I read it and I found it very thought provoking, now if I can remember the name of it..... The protagonist was an heir, and mutant, he regenerated limbs that didn't need to be.....he runs away and has a series of adventures which teach him the foundation of where he lives and why and perhaps how to change things forever....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester and The Stars My Destination, also by Alfred Bester.
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I started making me list and it is getting too long. So I cut it down as much as I can bear. :cry: I know that it is still a bit too long for a favorites list. Of course, I am also sure that I forgot one or two that belong here..

I am a little old schools as I have not read much of the newer authors (newer as in the last 20 years or so).

I know that some to not consider it science fiction but I included dystopian fiction.

In no particular order my list is as follows:

Robert Silverberg - Dying Inside

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451, Martian Chronicles

Ursula L Leguin - The Left Hand of Darkness

Frank Herbert - Dune

George Orwell - Nine-Teen Eighty Four

Isaac Asimov - Foundation Series

Almost all the early novels of HG Wells

Philip K Dick - UBIK, Man in High Castle

Stanisław Lem - Solaris

Carl Sagen - Contact

Margaret Atwood - Handmaid's Tale

Anthony Burgess-Clockwork Orange

John Varley - Gaea Trilogy
Last edited by Emperorbjt on Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I liked Fahrenheit 451 (and Something Wicked This Way Comes, bleachededen, surprised you didn't like it!) but I wasn't as big on The Martian Chronicles - though it has been a while since I read it. I liked, but didn't love, The Left Hand of Darkness. I'd heard a lot of hype about that book but it didn't really meet my expectations. Maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd never heard of it. Dune was flat-out great. I also quite liked Orwell and Arwood's books on your list. I really did not get into Man in the High Castle. I picked it for my choice in a book club I am in and no one really seemed to get into it. I think my favourite book by Dick would be Valis.

I recently read Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. It was alright... I plan on getting the next one, which is a good sign. If anyone has read and enjoyed Zoe's Tale by Scalzi, then you may well like this one too. Same sort of feisty teenage hero (though not as much of a butt kicker), though this book is set in present day rather than in the future with laser guns.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
suzyoconnor8028

Unread post

I like anthropological SF. There aren't many good books in that particular genre. I especially like "Talus" http://www.amazon.com/Talus-Erol-Ozan/dp/1452828199/ and "Hominids" amazon.com/Hominids-Neanderthal-Paralla ... 765345005/.
Ella88

Unread post

Never heard of Talus, but I like anthroplogical stuff so downloaded it. So far kinda light but interesting. Good for summer.
Venture
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I also love Heinlein! and Neal Stephenson, and William Gibson's neromancer.
But has anyone read "Daemon" By Daniel Suarez and the sequel to it "Freedom" ??
He is a new author but amazing books in the Technology realm. Something to check out.

Right now I am reading Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It has been a very different type of sci fi. Well, I suppose they all are really.
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm!~

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”