• In total there are 86 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 85 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

Unread post

Luckybutton wrote:Of mice and men with Gary Senise was a fantastic adaptation, one of my faves.

Any Stephen King adapation is pretty much a guaranteed failure...Pet cemetery was atrocious.
How about The Shining? I thought it was good.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

Unread post

I really enjoyed The Shining, even though the movie was quite different from the book. Another I really enjoyed and thought was done well was The Hotel New Hampshire from the Irving book.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I just finished reading, "An American Tragedy", Theodore Dreiser. The movie, "A Place in the Sun" is based on this novel, and I have to say, the movie was really good, so was the book. The movie was one of the best adaptations I have seen in a while.

The worst adaptations I have seen would be two based on, "The Count of Monte Cristo". Both changed the ending. One of these movies changed the entire plot of the book.
s.kundan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am not in favor of movie adaptation of books as they are mostly disappointing. But I liked the Kite Runner movie, as much as the book.
Kundan
Stack your Rack
The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. - Mark Twain
boook
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I once heard an author (sorry, can't remember who) being asked about the movie adaptation for his book. He said a poor adaptation isn't all that bad because it still made him look good. Maybe he made enough money on the book and was looking on the bright side.

Return to “Everything Else”