• In total there are 34 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Devout Christianity! Living the Myth!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Devout Christianity! Living the Myth!

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:

Depends on what you mean by works?
No, I shouldn't have typed that. It doesn't work, just like 'democracy' doesn't work, but until we come up with a better idea, we keep trying. Things are changing and evolving all the time, I suppose it is up to us to attempt to steer the change in the right direction.

Sudden change is an awful affair, historically speaking.

Attempting to stay the same, is also awful.

Attempting to go backwards - is a bloody affair - hence the Taliban.

We just keep sailing on bravely.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Stahrwe wrote to Robert Tulip:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt since Penelope is a fan of yours and assume you are like the proverbial man who got on a horse and rode off in every direction at once.
You mean as opposed to doggedly going in one blinkered direction?

Robert, indeed thinks 'big'. But being of monumental intelligence (I know this because I read his posts carefully - not always following them, I grant you) can think big but logically and having some classical education, can follow men's concepts, throughout the ages.

I am indeed a fan. He has been very patient and helps us to understand some rather oblique theories. I have never known him to be insulting, or talk down to anyone. That is why I am a fan.
I suggest that you re-read his posts
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Oh dear, once again, I must modify my claims.

I don't stalk Robert, so I haven't read all of his posts by any means. I am refering to the few threads over a few years, to which we have both contributed.

I have seen him insulted and called rude names but with no reciprocation on his part.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Oh dear, once again, I must modify my claims. I don't stalk Robert, so I haven't read all of his posts by any means. I am refering to the few threads over a few years, to which we have both contributed. I have seen him insulted and called rude names but with no reciprocation on his part.
Penelope, there was one occasion where Stahrwe was maintaining that Christianity is not a religion and others called him a fool, and I piled in to call him Booktalk's resident idiot, for which I later apologised. I do regard young earth creationism as a form of idiocy, equivalent to maintaining flat earth theory, but as I recently noted, fundamentalists are far smarter than idiots, who are not capable of independent living.

No one now maintains flat earth theory, or belief in dragons and trolls. Trolls have made something of a comeback on the internet, with many sites having warnings not to feed them. YECism, as an advocacy of myths that are clearly and massively contradicted by evidence, is a strange atavistic exception to the evolution of thought away from myth towards reason.

YECism is so persistent because it is built in to the centre of the Christian idea of salvation, eg Romans 5 and 1 Corinthians 15:21 "from man came death and from man came also the resurrection from the dead". The archetypal myth of cross and resurrection is explained by Paul as the cure for Adam's sin, which makes no sense except by YEC. YEC is therefore seen as the keystone of the arch of faith, without which the whole vision of Christian community will crumble.

Salvation is the key idea on offer from the church, so liberal churches flail about with an inconsistent doctrine, saying they believe that Jesus saves but rejecting Paul's cosmology of the fall. Like the lukewarm church of Laodicea in Revelation 3:16, liberal faith is neither hot nor cold so gets spat out. YEC has the advantage of internal consistency, but the disadvantage of complete inconsistency with the evidence of our senses. Astrotheology, which I suggest will return as the basis of faith, has the dual advantages of consistency with the Bible, read as allegory, and consistency with modern science.

The problem is that the weight of orthodox hostility has been so immense over the centuries that people cannot even start a conversation about how the Bible sees heaven as the heavens. For example, I have argued that the River of Life is the Milky Way. To my reading this is a simple, coherent, elegant and compelling explanation, but it cannot be discussed in churches because it destroys the vestiges of YEC, present even in liberal faith.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert, I do understand the thinking behind astro-theology. Even if I don't quite 'get' what seem to be its extensions, genetic algerythm or evolutionary computing. I keep reading articles and lectures on the www, and I am not gleaning much from them, but maybe one day some of it will sink in. It is quite fascinating anyway.

I do understand why fundamentalist Christians want to cleave to their version of the gospels, in an effort to retain its power and not allow it to be slowly eroded. I can see what they are fearing, but things have to change, it is stagnant to try to cling onto the old belief systems. At the other swing of the pendulum are the atheist scientists who want to fling out man's spiritual inheritance entirely.

It would seem that both are hostile to you and your way of reconciling faith with rationality.

However, the truth eventually will emerge and be absorbed into human consciousness, that is if we don't blow ourselves off the planet in the meantime. It is necessarily a slow process.

Rafael Sabatini
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Stahrwe wrote to Robert Tulip:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt since Penelope is a fan of yours and assume you are like the proverbial man who got on a horse and rode off in every direction at once.
You mean as opposed to doggedly going in one blinkered direction?
Yes, provided that it is the right direction.
Penelope wrote:Robert, indeed thinks 'big'. But being of monumental intelligence (I know this because I read his posts carefully - not always following them, I grant you) can think big but logically and having some classical education, can follow men's concepts, throughout the ages.

I am indeed a fan. He has been very patient and helps us to understand some rather oblique theories. I have never known him to be insulting, or talk down to anyone. That is why I am a fan.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Robert, I do understand the thinking behind astro-theology. Even if I don't quite 'get' what seem to be its extensions, genetic algerythm or evolutionary computing. I keep reading articles and lectures on the www, and I am not gleaning much from them, but maybe one day some of it will sink in. It is quite fascinating anyway.

I do understand why fundamentalist Christians want to cleave to their version of the gospels, in an effort to retain its power and not allow it to be slowly eroded. I can see what they are fearing, but things have to change, it is stagnant to try to cling onto the old belief systems. At the other swing of the pendulum are the atheist scientists who want to fling out man's spiritual inheritance entirely.

It would seem that both are hostile to you and your way of reconciling faith with rationality.

However, the truth eventually will emerge and be absorbed into human consciousness, that is if we don't blow ourselves off the planet in the meantime. It is necessarily a slow process.
How much power do you suppose fundamentalist Christians have now? How much do they have in Britain?

In the end times it is prophesied that a universal church will emerge. It will be syncretistic, an amalgam of all religions. The RC church has used that approach in countries with strong local beliefs, layering them into it. If fundamentalists wished to retain or increase power they would use the same concept now.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Penelope wrote:Oh dear, once again, I must modify my claims. I don't stalk Robert, so I haven't read all of his posts by any means. I am refering to the few threads over a few years, to which we have both contributed. I have seen him insulted and called rude names but with no reciprocation on his part.
Penelope, there was one occasion where Stahrwe was maintaining that Christianity is not a religion and others called him a fool, and I piled in to call him Booktalk's resident idiot, for which I later apologised.
That was not what I meant. It has nothint to do with me. Other than that I will let your posts speak for themselves.

Robert Tulip wrote: I do regard young earth creationism as a form of idiocy, equivalent to maintaining flat earth theory, but as I recently noted, fundamentalists are far smarter than idiots, who are not capable of independent living.

No one now maintains flat earth theory, or belief in dragons and trolls. Trolls have made something of a comeback on the internet, with many sites having warnings not to feed them. YECism, as an advocacy of myths that are clearly and massively contradicted by evidence, is a strange atavistic exception to the evolution of thought away from myth towards reason.

YECism is so persistent because it is built in to the centre of the Christian idea of salvation, eg Romans 5 and 1 Corinthians 15:21 "from man came death and from man came also the resurrection from the dead". The archetypal myth of cross and resurrection is explained by Paul as the cure for Adam's sin, which makes no sense except by YEC. YEC is therefore seen as the keystone of the arch of faith, without which the whole vision of Christian community will crumble.

Salvation is the key idea on offer from the church, so liberal churches flail about with an inconsistent doctrine, saying they believe that Jesus saves but rejecting Paul's cosmology of the fall. Like the lukewarm church of Laodicea in Revelation 3:16, liberal faith is neither hot nor cold so gets spat out. YEC has the advantage of internal consistency, but the disadvantage of complete inconsistency with the evidence of our senses. Astrotheology, which I suggest will return as the basis of faith, has the dual advantages of consistency with the Bible, read as allegory, and consistency with modern science.

The problem is that the weight of orthodox hostility has been so immense over the centuries that people cannot even start a conversation about how the Bible sees heaven as the heavens. For example, I have argued that the River of Life is the Milky Way. To my reading this is a simple, coherent, elegant and compelling explanation, but it cannot be discussed in churches because it destroys the vestiges of YEC, present even in liberal faith.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
How much power do you suppose fundamentalist Christians have now?
They have quite a bit. Thats the danger of the whole thing.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:stahrwe wrote:
How much power do you suppose fundamentalist Christians have now?
They have quite a bit. Thats the danger of the whole thing.

I would suggest that their power has been declining recently but they are in the process of regrouping, at least in the United States, and will be asserting their influence aggressively in both politics and education.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”