• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Tower of Babel - What was going on there?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Tower of Babel - What was going on there?

Unread post

Disobedience!!!

The only disobedience, was in ignoring the man made rules current at the time. Like when it used to be against the law to sell certain items on a Sunday. Even though Sunday was not the sabbath to the Jewish community.

The rules change to suit current situations. It is actually the law that all young men in Cheshire should practice archery on Sunday mornings, since the Cheshire Bowmen were reputed to be the best in England, and that law has never been repealed. We disobey it.

Certainly it would be a step backwards to obey many of the laws in the Bible, there would definitely be a scarcity of doves to be sacrificed.

I am sure that if there is any truth in the story of the Tower of Babel the people would be building from natural curiosity. I am sure that their motives are misrepresented. It is very natural to want to explore and discover - often very dangerous too. Explorers and Scientists were usually very brave, nothing to do with disobedience or self-promotion.

We cannot stand-still, we cannot undiscover. To try to claim ultimate wisdom for the biblical stories is foolish. But, it was still people doing their best to make sense and understand the World as they knew it. I think it is fair to look at what they believed in the light of later experience, but I don't think it is fair to condemn them until or unless we understand their motives. Their motives were not always, not even usually, ulterior. IN MY OPINION.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

tootall1121 wrote:You have to remember that the entire bible has been rewritten to suit those in power at given times in history. Like with so called Pagan religions, many of the stories in the bible are poor explanations for whatever they didn't understand at the time. You can't give any serious consideration to anything printed in any current version of the bible.
Did you enjoy the Kool-Aid?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:
tootall1121 wrote:You have to remember that the entire bible has been rewritten to suit those in power at given times in history. Like with so called Pagan religions, many of the stories in the bible are poor explanations for whatever they didn't understand at the time. You can't give any serious consideration to anything printed in any current version of the bible.
You cannot give serious consideration to anything in the Bible past or present...The Bible and Christianity are off shoots of the Pagan religions the very basis for the entire thing is Pagan. All of our holidays are Pagan in nature and were adapted to fit the Christian religion by those who formed the lie in the first place.
Anything, Really?

"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures."
-Proverbs 24:3-4

"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. "
-Proverbs 3:21-23

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. "
-Proverbs 17:28

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. "
-Proverbs 17:28

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
-Proverbs 15:1

"How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!"
-Proverbs 16:16

"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."
-Proverbs 19:11

"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."
-Proverbs 20:15

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
-Proverbs 15:1

"He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers."
-Proverbs 19:8

you must love your neighbor as yourself.
Lev 19:18

The fool has said in his heart, " There is no God."
Psalm 14:1
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Disobedience!!!

The only disobedience, was in ignoring the man made rules current at the time. Like when it used to be against the law to sell certain items on a Sunday. Even though Sunday was not the sabbath to the Jewish community.

The rules change to suit current situations. It is actually the law that all young men in Cheshire should practice archery on Sunday mornings, since the Cheshire Bowmen were reputed to be the best in England, and that law has never been repealed. We disobey it.

Certainly it would be a step backwards to obey many of the laws in the Bible, there would definitely be a scarcity of doves to be sacrificed.

I am sure that if there is any truth in the story of the Tower of Babel the people would be building from natural curiosity. I am sure that their motives are misrepresented. It is very natural to want to explore and discover - often very dangerous too. Explorers and Scientists were usually very brave, nothing to do with disobedience or self-promotion.

We cannot stand-still, we cannot undiscover. To try to claim ultimate wisdom for the biblical stories is foolish. But, it was still people doing their best to make sense and understand the World as they knew it. I think it is fair to look at what they believed in the light of later experience, but I don't think it is fair to condemn them until or unless we understand their motives. Their motives were not always, not even usually, ulterior. IN MY OPINION.

When the Temple is finally rebuilt in Jerusalem the practice of sacrifice will resume. We too have some laws which served a purpose at one time but no longer are relevant, and we have laws which are oddities, but this just goes to demonstrate the fallability of humans.

I am unclear as to why you are defending the people in the story of the Tower of Babel. It is only a fairy tale, right? In that case, the circumstances of the story are clearly spelled out, as is the disobedience of the people and the price they paid for their disobedience. IN MY OPINION, which happens to the correct one.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:

When the Temple is finally rebuilt in Jerusalem the practice of sacrifice will resume.
A loathsome and retrograde step then. A demonic practice.

There is really no more to say between us - I am quite disgusted.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:

When the Temple is finally rebuilt in Jerusalem the practice of sacrifice will resume.
A loathsome and retrograde step then. A demonic practice.

There is really no more to say between us - I am quite disgusted.
I believe that you misundertand me. I am not in favor of sacrificing in the Temple, I am merely telling you what is going to happen. In fact, Christianity is based on the idea that sacrifice is done away with.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:

I believe that you misundertand me. I am not in favor of sacrificing in the Temple, I am merely telling you what is going to happen. In fact, Christianity is based on the idea that sacrifice is done away with.
Well, I did misunderstand you.

However, your prediction/prophecy with regard to the reinstatement of the Temple, is not based on rationality now is it?

So, if you will excuse me, I shall ignore it.

Rafael Sabatini
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:

Well, I did misunderstand you.

However, your* prediction/prophecy with regard to the reinstatement of the Temple, is not based on rationality now is it?

So, if you will excuse me, I shall ignore it.

You may chose to ignore it. But that proves my point in that you must ignore it, not state that it is not possible. Because it is possible. That is a big statement. In the year 70AD Rome destroyed Jerusalem. The following century it was destroyed again and the Jews who had returned were exiled. The name of the city was changed and Jews were banned from it except for one day a year. From that day, until 1948 Israel did not exist as a nation and the Biblical prophecy* that the Temple would be restored and sacrifices resumed were assumed to be taken figuratively. After all, after nearly two thousand years how could the Jews return to Jerusalem?

*not my prediction/prophecy
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Penelope wrote:Disobedience!!!

When the Temple is finally rebuilt in Jerusalem the practice of sacrifice will resume. We too have some laws which served a purpose at one time but no longer are relevant, and we have laws which are oddities, but this just goes to demonstrate the fallability of humans.

I am unclear as to why you are defending the people in the story of the Tower of Babel. It is only a fairy tale, right? In that case, the circumstances of the story are clearly spelled out, as is the disobedience of the people and the price they paid for their disobedience. IN MY OPINION, which happens to the correct one.
There is an outcropping of starkly bare rough limestone rock in Jerusalem which for thirty centuries past has gripped the minds and hearts of sons of men as being the most sacred spot on earth. Known to the Jews as the Temple Mount and to the Moslems as the Noble Sanctuary.
http://www.templemount.org/earlytm.html

The above presents a slight problem for the Jews would you say not? These are two very distinct religions with varying views to say the least. Now one side or the other will have to concede here since neither have the same beliefs or traditions. Quite frankly I do not think Islam would let it happen.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Did you enjoy the Kool-Aid?
Stahrwe, how does your question about Kool-Aid fit within the forum rule requiring intelligent, rational and civil discussion?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”