• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Yes. Evolution.

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Yes. Evolution.

Unread post

Glad to see nothing has changed! lol

Nice to see the old crew is still holding it down.

I do not post here anymore because I cannot follow rule #1. Mostly because of the disgust I feel over the same old crap from those who want to deny evolution.

IF any one of the detractors would actually READ and STUDY the topic, it would be nice.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

If you refer to the opening post of this thread you will see i have links going to other parts of this site with creationist vs evolution observations by AronRa, creator of that video used in the first post.

Check them out!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here's an article exploring how teachers deal with teaching science, and notably evolution.

The sad thing is, most teachers don't really have that good an idea what evolution is, or how it works either... and they are teachers.

Imagine. You are teaching a class, constantly fearful that a student might bring up some argument about religion and actually thinking you might just LOSE a debate against the concept of magical creation. ... WHILE YOU ARE TEACHING THE CLASS ON EVOLUTION.

Nobody with even a moderate understanding of evolutionary concepts should have anything to fear from a debate with a teenaged creationist. Even the very best argument that professional creationists have are nothing more than soap bubbles of self-indulging fluff.

Sadly, this is the state of our education system. Think about it. are any of you really confused why america is falling behind in math and sciences?

http://www.miller-mccune.com/blogs/the- ... ass-27962/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Nobody with even a moderate understanding of evolutionary concepts should have anything to fear from a debate with a teenaged creationist. Even the very best argument that professional creationists have are nothing more than soap bubbles of self-indulging fluff.
Unless you're Gould or Dawkins, then, as they said in MPATHG, 'Run away.'
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Even the very best argument that professional creationists have are nothing more than soap bubbles of self-indulging fluff
for examples of creationist dribble being crushed on every outing, just check out starhwe's history on this site.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

johnson wrote:Nobody with even a moderate understanding of evolutionary concepts should have anything to fear from a debate with a teenaged creationist. Even the very best argument that professional creationists have are nothing more than soap bubbles of self-indulging fluff.
This makes even more sense after listening to the wrestler I coach. He's a smart kid, with a 4.5 GPA and the sharp intelligence I'm fond of. He recited how his science teacher taught his class that there were such things as macro and micro evolution, and that they are different. It made me realize the teacher was likely towards the creationist end of the spectrum. How do you monitor the teachers across the country from teaching with an obviously biased agenda? America is getting a collective slap in the face with our plummeting education ranking, but it doesn't seem that anyone is waking up.
Stahrwe wrote:Unless you're Gould or Dawkins, then, as they said in MPATHG, 'Run away.'
It's like trying to play chess without chess pieces. There's no reason to have discussions with people who abandon logic and common sense. Yourself included.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:Unless you're Gould or Dawkins, then, as they said in MPATHG, 'Run away.'
It's like trying to play chess without chess pieces. There's no reason to have discussions with people who abandon logic and common sense. Yourself included.
All I did was point out the irony between what Johnson1010 said and Gould and Dawkins fear of debating YEC's. Of course they used the excuse of legitimizing the cause but that is still a fear isn't it?

Have a laugh, admit the humor of the situation.
Last edited by stahrwe on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Bill Nye the science guy speaks on teaching evolution

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... -education
Q. Should teachers be mandated to teach evolution as fact?

A. What other fundamental theory in all of biology is there?
There are no others.
-Guillermo Del Torro

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Bill Nye the science guy speaks on teaching evolution

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... -education
Q. Should teachers be mandated to teach evolution as fact?

A. What other fundamental theory in all of biology is there?
There are no others.
Until one can show, demonstrate, reproduce, or in some other non-subjective manner indicate the origin of life, yes the origin, then evolution is and remain a theory with the possibility of being wrong. The company line is to defer origins as a part of evolution. That is an evasion of the first order. If you can't explain origins you have have a huge hole in your theory. You can't and you do.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Until one can show, demonstrate, reproduce, or in some other non-subjective manner indicate the origin of life, yes the origin, then evolution is and remain a theory with the possibility of being wrong. The company line is to defer origins as a part of evolution. That is an evasion of the first order. If you can't explain origins you have have a huge hole in your theory. You can't and you do.
Explain. By analogy, then, we can't say we know a single thing about the development of the cosmos, because we don't know how matter came to be created? We can conclude nothing about the 3.5 billion years of life because of uncertainty about how it arose? We have well developed sciences of all sorts despite uncertainty about the ultimate question behind them. Biology is no exception.

Return to “Science & Technology”