• In total there are 29 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

victory for the tea party activists!!

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: victory for the tea party activists!!

Unread post

Chris is right on the nose here, Phillie.

You are in for a hell of a rude awakening if you are counting on conservatives to provide a social net for the disabled, or for low income students to go to college.

These are exactly the kinds of programs that the democrat ideal wishes to promote, and exactly the programs the republican ideal wants to dismantle.

Somehow republican spin has managed to make insurance behemoths the victim of all those terrible little people who want health care.

It has managed to appologize to BP for the awful way we blamed them for the massive oil spill they deposited in our waters.

It has put ivy league harvard graduates on television where they spout off in defense of the working man, the "folks", the REAL AMERICA as if they knew what that existence was really about.

It has managed to cry "OPPRESSION!" every time someone from another religion chooses not to be coerced into reciting christian prayer.

It has transformed Walmart and McDonald's into the "small businesses" which would suffer if there was a raise in the minimum wage.

Saddest of all, Phillie, is that you are precisely the person who needs the democrat's plan of governance, and you have been talked into voting against your own interests by the spin machine. You and millions more in the same situation.

Because americans respond to the loudest. Not the wisest.
They respond with their guts, instead of their heads.

Why is that, do you think? One organ is a marvel that has performed complicated calculations, engineered space stations, and flown people faster than the speed of sound.

The other organ churns out shit.

Use more brain, and less gut.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

The disconnect between state and people operates in several contradictory ways.

Maybe one way to look at it is that conservatives are 'for America' while liberals are 'for Americans'. The military, in alliance with big companies and voters who are swept up in the dream of free enterprise, tend to be pro-Republican because they identify with America's national self image as the world policeman - they are 'for America'. Democrat voters say America is rich and can afford to mandate increased wealth distribution - they are 'for Americans'.

Conservatives are proud of the USA but feel the government has let them down. What I think they fail to see is that precisely the tea party combination of military aggression and deregulation of the finance sector is the main cause of America's problems. The Bush Administration combined wasted spending in the Iraq War with fed support for the 'irrational exuberance' of the markets that caused the global financial crisis, via the Greenspan post-9/11 'punch bowl' of interest rate suppression.

The Tea Party say sharing of wealth through tax will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Well maybe the goose was churning out golden eggs a while ago, but these days some of the eggs are more like rock and salt than gold. Improving the content of the egg from rock to gold is about business productivity. Do Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin have any workable ideas on business productivity other than transferring wealth from the poor to the rich and building jails to cope with the resulting social conflict?
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:The disconnect between state and people operates in several contradictory ways.

Maybe one way to look at it is that conservatives are 'for America' while liberals are 'for Americans'. The military, in alliance with big companies and voters who are swept up in the dream of free enterprise, tend to be pro-Republican because they identify with America's national self image as the world policeman - they are 'for America'. Democrat voters say America is rich and can afford to mandate increased wealth distribution - they are 'for Americans'.

Conservatives are proud of the USA but feel the government has let them down. What I think they fail to see is that precisely the tea party combination of military aggression and deregulation of the finance sector is the main cause of America's problems. The Bush Administration combined wasted spending in the Iraq War with fed support for the 'irrational exuberance' of the markets that caused the global financial crisis, via the Greenspan post-9/11 'punch bowl' of interest rate suppression.

The Tea Party say sharing of wealth through tax will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Well maybe the goose was churning out golden eggs a while ago, but these days some of the eggs are more like rock and salt than gold. Improving the content of the egg from rock to gold is about business productivity. Do Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin have any workable ideas on business productivity other than transferring wealth from the poor to the rich and building jails to cope with the resulting social conflict?
Yes, I am a conservative and I believe that the government has definitely let us down. And this isn't anything new; since Obama entered the White House this country has been in mass chaos. I have watched Glenn Beck time and time again and I absolutely agree 100% with his views on this country. And Sarah Palin, who everyone describes as a ditz is really quite knowledgeable! People just don't like her voice but after all she did run the state of Alaska and did a really great job. No one gives her the credit she deserves! I highly believe in what she says as well. I was a Democrat for many years but I'm just so fed up with the government that I became a Republican at one point and became an active part of the tea party movement. As far as abortions are concerned, I would only want for my own daughter to have an abortion if she had God forbid been raped! There are so many women in this country today who cannot have their own children, and if nobody steps up to help raise a pregnant woman's baby, and said pregnant women for one reason or another, cannot keep the baby, I believe strongly that the baby should be carried to term and find an adoptive couple who cannot have children of their own. I feel this way because somebody very near to me, someone in my family, could not have children on their own, and they went the adoption route. And they have the most beautiful child thanks to a woman who was pregnant, believed highly that abortion was wrong, and gave this couple the child that they so desperately wanted! Now tell me that Democrats feel that way? How can someone kill a life, and yes I believe that abortion at any stage of the pregnancy is killing another human being!
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I have watched Glenn Beck time and time again and I absolutely agree 100% with his views on this country. And Sarah Palin, who everyone describes as a ditz is really quite knowledgeable!
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

I guess that means you agree with me Johnson?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I just thought you might want to take another look at what you wrote.
-Guillermo Del Torro

phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:I am glad you are happy Phillies. I truly hope that the people you voted for do a good job in office. We will see... But maybe this will be good. Maybe having a Republican house will inspire people to work together. It seems that they can either learn to work together and get a lot done, or they will spend the next two years fighting and getting nothing done. Hopefully it is the former.

I do not agree with you that the tea party would support you in wanting to help people with tuition. And a major part of Obama's campaign was to get health care reform passed. He only has four years to do this and health care is something that has been only a dream in this country since the 30's. I am not entirely happy with the bill either; I wanted a public option. But, this bill gets something on the table. And you know that having universal health care would create jobs, right? I am not sure what the fear is about the government having access to our private medical records. I have not thought about it but I doubt that with or without the bill we could prevent the government from having access to this information. HIPPA protects general people from having access to your private information. I am not sure what the current regulation is for the government. They may need a subpoena for this information, but even if they do manage to get this information what is the fear?
why do you say that there'll be more jobs created from obamacare? What happens to all the other companies? Do they just lay off all the people that work for companies such as Blue Cross? So what you said makes no sense to me. And yes, I do believe that with the Republicans upper hand now things will get done! I can't wait until we get to vote for president again. I am almost positive that Obama will not win! He is absolutely not well-liked by most citizens of this great land of ours.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I agree and disagree with many points each of you are making. This is why I left the Republican Party and went Independent last year.

I completely disagree with the people that argue that Obama is creating jobs. In my opinion Democrats, as a general rule, have a poor understanding of economics and the factors that fuel an economy. Obama has not and will not create jobs or growth. He is not creating anything other than debt, dependency and an entitlement attitude.

I disagree about Sarah Palin. She is not Presidential material. She is basically an airhead, but I find her extremely attractive. Hey, I'm just saying.

In my opinion we need a business-minded person to step up for the Republicans. Without doing any additional research on the man I am under the current impression that Mitt Romney might be a good choice. We need someone that treats balancing the budget as absolutely paramount. And Mitt won't attempt to fuse church and state because he is a Mormon and he needs to keep his religious views hush hush.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I agree and disagree with many points each of you are making. This is why I left the Republican Party and went Independent last year.

I completely disagree with the people that argue that Obama is creating jobs. In my opinion Democrats, as a general rule, have a poor understanding of economics and the factors that fuel an economy. Obama has not and will not create jobs or growth. He is not creating anything other than debt, dependency and an entitlement attitude.

I disagree about Sarah Palin. She is not Presidential material. She is basically an airhead, but I find her extremely attractive. Hey, I'm just saying.

In my opinion we need a business-minded person to step up for the Republicans. Without doing any additional research on the man I am under the current impression that Mitt Romney might be a good choice. We need someone that treats balancing the budget as absolutely paramount. And Mitt won't attempt to fuse church and state because he is a Mormon and he needs to keep his religious views hush hush.

There is something to be said for attractive politicians. If they aren't going to do anything, they may as well be nice to look at.

Sarah has quite a group going: Nickie Haley, Pam Bondi, Christine O'Donnell

I am not sure I agree with you about Sarah not being presidential material. I think we have had many airheads as presidents but we haven't had one who is as much 'of the people' as she seems to be.

If you were a republican when we ran Bob Dole, didn't that just make you want to cry.

The republicans have alway seemed like Aticus Finch. The ones who have to tell the kids you can't have ice cream for dinner.,
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The republicans have alway seemed like Aticus Finch. The ones who have to tell the kids you can't have ice cream for dinner.
I'm not familiar with Aticus Finch, but I assume you're saying that the republican Party is the party of self-control when it comes to spending. If this is your position I would agree with you. But it is relative. Both parties need to learn to spend LESS than taxes bring in. I don't mean spend an EQUAL amount.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “Current Events & History”