• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The NT was written in the 2nd century

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: The NT was written in the 2nd century

Unread post

your prophecies are nonsense, star.

the predictive power of science is as close as you are going to get. as much as you it serves your masterbatory wish fulfillment to believe the bible holds any predictive power, it has been made painfully obvious that it is not even correct in documenting the state of the world at the time of it's writing.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Stahrweak wrote:My problem with the videos is that they are a lazy way of presenting information. They leave no lasting record for the viewer.
Interesting opinion coming from a guy who refuses to watch the series. How would you know what sort of lasting record this series leaves for the viewer if you haven't even watched it? Here's what GodAlmighty had to say when I informed him of your critique Stahrweak:
GodAlmighty wrote:Wow. Just, wow.

It took me six months, working 5-6 hours a day, everyday, to make that series. Nothing more need be said. He has no idea what he's talking about.

The sources are screen capped and posted right there on the video. It is not just me making an audible reference and then you have to go and search on your own to verify. I already did all the work for the viewer. The sources are on screen. And anyone who watched, would realize that.

He refuses to watch. THAT is outright laziness. Fear-induced laziness, but laziness nonetheless.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:your prophecies are nonsense, star.

the predictive power of science is as close as you are going to get. as much as you it serves your masterbatory wish fulfillment to believe the bible holds any predictive power, it has been made painfully obvious that it is not even correct in documenting the state of the world at the time of it's writing.
Pastor Hagee believes that the restoration of Israel, is real prophecy. And what comes of it is having to take our generation as the last generation according to prophecy when the restoration of Israel is plugged into the mix.

So this whole thing stands to collapse in this generation!!!

They can self fulfill perceived prophecy by rebuilding Israel, they can even go further and bring about an apocolyptic end times war event and set up some one to appear to be an anti-christ figure in line with biblical prophecy. That's all within their capabilities of religious and political social manipulation through trying to self fulfill prophecy. But what of the grand finale? What of the second of coming of Jesus in the sky where every eye shall see him? They run out of rope and the shows over. People have to move on...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

DWill wrote:What I want to know is, if you believed in the "prophecy" stahrwe posted, how you could ever worship a god who made an ethnic group suffer through centuries of pogroms and topped it all off with the Holocaust, before saying, "Welcome home."
Would you please explain cellular reproduction in two words?

Can't do it.

Your question has an answer, a very forthright answer, an answer that has been told over and over again, but to see the answer you have to read the Bible, and not just a chapter here, a verse there, You need the whole thing. You demand an answer. It is there, Are you up to it? I'll be your answer is ..
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Thanks for this Tat, although I thought everyone knew that the NT was written in the second centurY. I will watch but need to turn the volume down!

Star said: " Futher, a 25 part series! are you serious? Who has time for that?"

How 'bout taking s 1/4 of the time from posting on Book talk and watching? You'll be done in jig time!

Star said: " You are just trying to overwhelm. I know what I am going to get anyway, convoluted reasoning, cross-references within the community and distorted quotes from mainstream scholars"

Boy does this sound familiar!
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Thanks for posting Lady. I think the more learned on BT do know this quite well. But there's more, near the end of the series GodAlmighty investigates Yeshua Ben Pandira / Sedata of the second century AD, and how that grains into the gospels appearing into the historical record during the second century, and what the motivation for placing the gospel setting back in the early first century appears to be.

Why was it so important for the early church fathers to keep reciting that Jesus was crucified and resurrected during the time of Pontius Pilate over and over again? It involves taking a close look at perceived OT prophecy (not just the Emmanuel bit, there's more) and what significance the dating of the early first century during the time of Pilate had in that respect. It's an interesting twist in the end and you can skip through the first half of the videos about the late second century dating of the gospels - which you already know and understand - and still catch the point at the end of the series.
dellboy

Unread post

Hi there, this is the best timeline I have ever seen, ever on the net, from Adam (actually before) to Eternity. http://nakedlife.org/timeline.html.[/url] What do you guys think? I really like the fact that this guy makes it available for free - those paintings on the Timeline are also Biblically accurate so it is refreshing.
J
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:
johnson1010 wrote:your prophecies are nonsense, star.

Pastor Hagee believes that the restoration of Israel, is real prophecy. And what comes of it is having to take our generation as the last generation according to prophecy when the restoration of Israel is plugged into the mix.

So this whole thing stands to collapse in this generation!!!

They can self fulfill perceived prophecy by rebuilding Israel, they can even go further and bring about an apocolyptic end times war event and set up some one to appear to be an anti-christ figure in line with biblical prophecy. That's all within their capabilities of religious and political social manipulation through trying to self fulfill prophecy. But what of the grand finale? What of the second of coming of Jesus in the sky where every eye shall see him? They run out of rope and the shows over. People have to move on...
Actually Not. The early church expected the return of Christ was immenint. That is one reason that the NT took a generation to be written. There was an idea that it wouldn't be needed. It certainly seems like we are nearing the edge but I'm not starting any countdowns until I see the Temple being rebuilt on the site of the Dome of the Rock.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Or, logically Stahrwe, people have been playing around with these bible verses for centuries which led to the Zionist movement in modern times, and out of which the restoration of Israel movement is one of the biggest and most obvious cases of people trying to intentionally self fulfill biblical prophecy for religious and political reasons based on deep rooted beliefs regarding the popular Judeo-Christian mythology.

But low and behold, how far will they be able to take it? Are they going to try and figure how to create an elaborate second coming of Jesus laser light show in the sky with a lake of burning sulfur and a New Jerusalem coming down grand finale? There's only so far they can take this self fulfilling prophecy act until they run out of rope...

But the issue we're discussing is where is the evidence for the existence of the NT before the 2nd century? The destruction of the temple in AD 70 doesn't provide evidence for a first century existence of the NT, nor does referring to modern Zionism as something other than the blatant self fulfilling prophecy attempt that it is well known for. None of this serves to provide any historical evidence of the NT existing any earlier than when it began to appear into the historical record during the second century, as the video series proves beyond question. The NT appears into the historical record during the second century and not sooner. Earlier dating is woulda, coulda, shoulda, territory. :mrgreen:
http://freethoughtnation.com/forums/vie ... =18&t=3438

The Canon: A Second-Century Composition

"...With such remarkable declarations of the Church fathers, et al., as well as other cogent arguments, we possess some salient evidence that the gospels of Luke and John represent late second-century works. In fact, all of the canonical gospels seem to emerge at the same time—first receiving their names and number by Irenaeus around 180 AD/CE, and possibly based on one or more of the same texts as Luke, especially an "Ur-Markus" that may have been related to Marcion's Gospel of the Lord. In addition to an "Ur-Markus" upon which the canonical gospels may have been based has also been posited an "Ur-Lukas," which may likewise have "Ur-Markus" at its basis.

"The following may summarize the order of the gospels as they appear in the historical and literary record, beginning in the middle of the second century:

1. Ur-Markus (150)
2. Ur-Lukas (150+)
3. Luke (170)
4. Mark (175)
5. John (178)
6. Matthew (180)

"To reiterate, these late dates represent the time when these specific texts undoubtedly emerge onto the scene. If the canonical gospels as we have them existed anywhere previously, they were unknown, which makes it likely that they were not composed until that time or shortly before, based on earlier texts...."

- Who Was Jesus?, pages 82-83
Do you think I am going to waste time looking at anything Murdock wrote?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:That whole rigmarole is patently absurd, a testimony to misspent ingenuity.
Why?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”