• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

I second reading anything by Byatt. I just finished A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano and have started Salem Falls by JOdi Picoult. THis is my first Picoult book and I'm really enjoying it.

Amazon.com Review
In Flannery O'Connor's hometown of Milledgeville, Georgia, reckless relationships lead to a tragedy that forever alters the town and the author herself.

Crippled by lupus at twenty-five, celebrated author Flannery O'Connor was forced to leave New York City and return home to Andalusia, her family farm in Milledgeville, Georgia. Years later, as Flannery is finishing a novel and tending to her menagerie of peacocks, her mother drags her to the wedding of a family friend.

Cookie Himmel embodies every facet of Southern womanhood that Flannery lacks: she is revered for her beauty and grace; she is at the helm of every ladies' organization in town; and she has returned from her time in Manhattan with a rich fiancé, Melvin Whiteson. Melvin has come to Milledgeville to begin a new chapter in his life, but it is not until he meets Flannery that he starts to take a good hard look at the choices he has made. Despite the limitations of her disease, Flannery seems to be more alive than other people, and Melvin is drawn to her like a moth to a candle flame.

Melvin is not the only person in Milledgeville who starts to feel that life is passing him by. Lona Waters, the dutiful wife of a local policeman, is hired by Cookie to help create a perfect home. As Lona spends her days sewing curtains, she is given an opportunity to remember what it feels like to be truly alive, and she seizes it with both hands.

Heartbreakingly beautiful and inescapably human, these ordinary and extraordinary people chart their own courses through life. In the aftermath of one tragic afternoon, they are all forced to look at themselves and face up to Flannery's observation that "the truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I finished Don Quixote, a fine book though one that could've used a near ruthless editor. Currently I'm reading Jennifer Government. This is a book whose setting is the a future in which people use for their surname the name of the company or organization they are employed by. So, there is a John Nike, Jennifer Government, Billy Bechtel and so on. The most intriguing notion so far is that a corporation should be allowed to sue for lost revenue should the replacement for a worker who deserted it turn out to be less efficient than the one who left. It's a fast, easy-to-read book, which is what I was looking for after the tale of the meandering knight.
Last edited by Kevin on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Thanks, I picked up Possession today. Maybe this will be what I'm looking for at this moment.
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

JillR wrote:Currently wading through Nietzsche's "Antichrist" it's a bit of a doozie, and rather scary.
I suppose ,the thoughts which were conveyed in the antichrist became a base for fascism.I could not read that,although I 'm not a real christian believer.I like more Nietzche's "Thus spake Zarathustra " and "The twilight of idols"
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

"The truth about Jesus,Is he a myth" by Mangasar Mangasarian, "the Eve's diary by Mark Twain - very interesting:)
Kitti

Unread post

The state of our economy has prompted me to re-read The Grapes of Wrath. An amazing novel and surprisingly relevant today.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I just finished Inside the Whale by Jennie Rooney...a simple little book, but very enjoyable. I especially like the ending. I have now started on Possession, recommended by Suzannne (thanks) and so far, so good, very good in fact.
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

realiz wrote:I just finished Inside the Whale by Jennie Rooney...a simple little book, but very enjoyable. I especially like the ending. I have now started on Possession, recommended by Suzannne (thanks) and so far, so good, very good in fact.

Hello! Is it possible to download this book free of charge? :)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”