• In total there are 72 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

Continuing with the biographies. This time Rep. Barney Frank by Stuart E. Weisberg. A bit dry but informative.
Edyta Schauer

Unread post

I'm currently reading "Games of Thrones" and have to say I like it. A little bit confusing at the begging with the introduction of so many characters, after first fifty pages it is impossible to put it down. Just wandering what the tv series is all about.... is it as good as the book (they never are though)?
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell. Sarah takes a look at the colonization, christianization and statehood status of Hawaii through her own quirky eyes. If you haven't read any of Ms. Vowell's books you should give her a try. If you ever see her being interviewed anywhere definitely take a look.
Luckybutton
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Edyta Schauer wrote:I'm currently reading "Games of Thrones" and have to say I like it. A little bit confusing at the begging with the introduction of so many characters, after first fifty pages it is impossible to put it down. Just wandering what the tv series is all about.... is it as good as the book (they never are though)?

Actually it's not half bad! I'm a long time fan of GRRM, and have been waiting nearly six years for the next book in ASOIAF and like you say theyre never as good as the book but this series is very well done...for me the casting is fantastic, and as its a tv series rather than a film they arent missing to much out or changing stuff...I'm enjoying watching the series while i wait for Dance with Dragons :)
BookSpyGal
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm currently reading House of Leaves, and just finished Lord of the Rings. From one giant book to another! I've heard good things about House of Leaves, but it reads like some technical manual :/
SimiXxXimiS

Unread post

I am reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's book, Acheron, from the Dark Hunter Series!
Bonnie Ferrante
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just finished "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave. A powerful, disturbing, and engaging book. If you liked "The Book of Negroes", you'll probably like this. Shorter and current.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I'm about halfway through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood right now....I'm not sure that I like it at all...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

froglipz wrote:I'm about halfway through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood right now....I'm not sure that I like it at all...
You're not alone here, I also share your feelings. It's a shame, it had a good start, but then fizzled out towards the middle.

Right now I'm re reading "Of Human Bondage", W. Somerset Maugham. I first read this in HS and loved it, but now, I'm just trudging along waiting for the end. Strange how a book you loved when you were young loses appeal as you grow older.
DAWintsmith
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just got a Kindle and am catching up on some of the classics. I have started with THE LAST OF THE MOHICHANS by James Fenimore Cooper, which I am liking very much. It is a bit slow moving by today's standards, kind of like strolling through one of those early American landscape paintings where every detail of every leaf is painted and highlighted by the light filtering through the trees, and every sound has its own song. But there is excitement, too. The small party of travelers have already been double-crossed by one scout, and they are no longer strolling but stealthing their way through the virgin forest in search of a safe refuge.
D. A. Wintsmith, Author of Precious Jewels, A Seventh-Day Adventist Family Saga and Voracious Reader of Other People's Books

Return to “Everything Else”