• In total there are 78 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 77 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
reedy
Official Newbie!

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

I've just finished reading 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, I saw a preview of the movie yesterday and wanted to read the book before I watched it. Guess it says a lot about the book that I read it within 24 hours.....

It's a very good read written about 1960's Mississippi and the life of coloured people who are employed as domestic help. The story centres around 3 central characters 2 black maids and a white lady who is an author who becomes ostracised by her 'league' community....
golgol9

Unread post

I am currently reading the Passage by Justin Cronin on my Kindle. Despite it being a horror/scifi, (not my typical taste in books) but I cannot put it down and I it appears this is the first in a series of trilogy. So for you Sci Fi lovers... Go for it..
linda8283
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards, just got it from the library on my ipod, looks good so far!
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

CUTE by R. LeBeaux. Never heard of this guy before, but I found him right here in the forums, and the description of his novel sounded intriguing to me. If the first chapter (oddly entitled “Death”) is any indication, it’s going to be a fun read.
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

reedy wrote:I've just finished reading 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, I saw a preview of the movie yesterday and wanted to read the book before I watched it. Guess it says a lot about the book that I read it within 24 hours.....
I watched this one dominate the best-seller lists for what seemed like forever, but for some reason never wanted to read it, until a friend got so frustrated with my reluctance, she bought an extra copy and gave it to me. I, too, read it straight through (though it took me a couple of days) and I loved it. Don't know what it was that kept me from reading it sooner, except perhaps that stories about the "Old South" and all the bigotry tend to make me really angry, and I don't usually like to read stuff that makes me angry. Anyway, it was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing the film, though I doubt it could do the book justice. :)
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Renegades by Shaun Hutson.
SDWC8181
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I don't usually have a habit of following any particular writer, but I just finished Lisa See's "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan", after reading "Shanghai Girls". I'm probably going on to read "Dreams of Joy". I'm enjoying her writing style and her ability to transport her readers to another time and place. That is what I want when I read fiction.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

The Ancestors Tale by Richard Dawkins

Return to “Everything Else”