• In total there are 34 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Epistemology and Biblical Evidence

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Azrael
Masters

Re: Epistemology and Biblical Evidence

Unread post

Interbane they all cherry pick! They only pull from the Babble what supposedly supports a mythological claim. He is right though in one respect, there are very few prophecies in the Babble and those that are considered prophecy are really no more than songs and lamentations written to record the supposed terrible plight of the Jewish people. The brainwash tick is rooted deep in this one as you can see by the length of this thread. Playing on words and mistranslations to subvert your argument.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:Interbane they all cherry pick! They only pull from the Babble what supposedly supports a mythological claim. He is right though in one respect, there are very few prophecies in the Babble and those that are considered prophecy are really no more than songs and lamentations written to record the supposed terrible plight of the Jewish people. The brainwash tick is rooted deep in this one as you can see by the length of this thread. Playing on words and mistranslations to subvert your argument.
I love it. The only way to avoid the charge of 'cherry picking' or the dreaded Interbane pronouncement of FALLACY is to not post anything in defense of the Bible. Meanwhile I challenge you to explain the prophecy of Israel's return made 2500 years in the past and accurate to the day, and to explain how the following verses accurately presaged Christians either in space or at least in atmospheric flight near the end time. What to I get in response?

From Star Burst: Cherry picking.
Interbane: Fallacy, Fallacy, all is fallacy.

I have spoken to Christians who lived in the pre-flight time and pre-1948. They interpreted the verses as figurative, not literal only to see both become literally true. Bible won.

Star Burst, you accuse me of creative translation? OK, review the verses on the restoration of Israel and the below verses which refer to either space travel or at least atmospheric flight and tell me your non-creative translation.

What's that expression for people who claim to be experts but are really to ignorant to know that they don't know what they are talking about?

Neh 1:9
but if you return to Me, and keep My commandments and do them, though some of you were cast out to the farthest part of the heavens, yet I will gather them from there, and bring them to the place which I have chosen as a dwelling for My name.’

Matthew 24:31
"And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yet it's not a vacuous accusation. I point out, in detail, how you commit the fallacies.

The unavoidable truth is that you are committing fallacies. The problem is not with me repeatedly accusing you of committing fallacies. The problem is that you commit them!

For the majority of your life you've gone about using fallacious reasoning, so that by now when it's deeply ingrained I am the villain for pointing it out.
I love it. The only way to avoid the charge of 'cherry picking' or the dreaded Interbane pronouncement of FALLACY is to not post anything in defense of the Bible.
Maybe it's finally sinking in. There are next to zero non-fallacious ways to support a belief in the bible. This is not a fault of any man. It's not a proposition of any man either, it's a mutually agreed upon fact by all philosophical intelligensia. The only thing you have is faith. What should truly concern you is that fallacies are an objective assessment of your arguments. When you commit a fallacy, your arguments are truly false, above and beyond any subjectivity of my own that I bring to this discussion.

I'm sure it doesn't sit well with you that some methods of reasoning you hold sacred, such as the legitimacy of prophecy, are fallacious. I know how men's minds work. You will not give up such a sacred cow. Even though it's wrong. It is too deeply ingrained, and you will either lie to yourself or rationalize until you're blue in the face in an attempt to find a way around it. You'll scramble the meanings of words to make it seem as though the fallacy doesn't apply, or play ambiguous with the concepts to dodge the layman's definition. It seems you can only see such fallacies through a glass, darkly. Your intuitive grasp of logic is lacking. What is obvious to some of us who are logically minded appears to be a surmountable hurdle to you, only because you're oblivious to the depressing finality of false or invalid logic.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Yet it's not a vacuous accusation. I point out, in detail, how you commit the fallacies.

The unavoidable truth is that you are committing fallacies. The problem is not with me repeatedly accusing you of committing fallacies. The problem is that you commit them!

For the majority of your life you've gone about using fallacious reasoning, so that by now when it's deeply ingrained I am the villain for pointing it out.
I love it. The only way to avoid the charge of 'cherry picking' or the dreaded Interbane pronouncement of FALLACY is to not post anything in defense of the Bible.
Maybe it's finally sinking in. There are next to zero non-fallacious ways to support a belief in the bible. This is not a fault of any man. It's not a proposition of any man either, it's a mutually agreed upon fact by all philosophical intelligensia. The only thing you have is faith. What should truly concern you is that fallacies are an objective assessment of your arguments. When you commit a fallacy, your arguments are truly false, above and beyond any subjectivity of my own that I bring to this discussion.

I'm sure it doesn't sit well with you that some methods of reasoning you hold sacred, such as the legitimacy of prophecy, are fallacious. I know how men's minds work. You will not give up such a sacred cow. Even though it's wrong. It is too deeply ingrained, and you will either lie to yourself or rationalize until you're blue in the face in an attempt to find a way around it. You'll scramble the meanings of words to make it seem as though the fallacy doesn't apply, or play ambiguous with the concepts to dodge the layman's definition. It seems you can only see such fallacies through a glass, darkly. Your intuitive grasp of logic is lacking. What is obvious to some of us who are logically minded appears to be a surmountable hurdle to you, only because you're oblivious to the depressing finality of false or invalid logic.
I will continue to post evidence from the Bible. So far I have made few actual claims. What I am doing is presenting evidence. For you to claim that a prophecy which was realized nearly 1 million days in the future where the prophecy included the number of days it would be is an examle of me committing a fallacy would be comical if it wasn't so sad. Your explanations are not explanations they are diversions. You slap a label on the evidence pat yourself on the back and fall flat on your face.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have not said you are a villian.

BTW, I missed you explanation of the Biblical references to human flight from my last several posts or do you claim that the citations are fallacies of some sort?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Star Burst wrote:Interbane they all cherry pick! They only pull from the Babble what supposedly supports a mythological claim. He is right though in one respect, there are very few prophecies in the Babble and those that are considered prophecy are really no more than songs and lamentations written to record the supposed terrible plight of the Jewish people. The brainwash tick is rooted deep in this one as you can see by the length of this thread. Playing on words and mistranslations to subvert your argument.
I love it. The only way to avoid the charge of 'cherry picking' or the dreaded Interbane pronouncement of FALLACY is to not post anything in defense of the Bible. Meanwhile I challenge you to explain the prophecy of Israel's return made 2500 years in the past and accurate to the day, and to explain how the following verses accurately presaged Christians either in space or at least in atmospheric flight near the end time. What to I get in response?

I have spoken to Christians who lived in the pre-flight time and pre-1948. They interpreted the verses as figurative, not literal only to see both become literally true. Bible won.

Star Burst, you accuse me of creative translation? OK, review the verses on the restoration of Israel and the below verses which refer to either space travel or at least atmospheric flight and tell me your non-creative translation.

What's that expression for people who claim to be experts but are really to ignorant to know that they don't know what they are talking about?

but if you return to Me, and keep My commandments and do them, though some of you were cast out to the farthest part of the heavens, yet I will gather them from there, and bring them to the place which I have chosen as a dwelling for My name.’

"And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”
Apparently your no expert either your spouting mythology as history when all this is nothing more than allegorical fairytale. As far as translations go your Bible has been translated so much in so many different ways that even its followers are lost in the textual massacre that as occurred. And using Matthew to prove a point is a weak argument when we all know the NT writers wrote what they imagined and not what they saw, with the exception of John who saw a more spiritual form of the mythology that was written. Your grasping at the proverbial straw to prove a point and as usually happens with most Jesus and God followers you will move the goalposts when it appears as Interbane as to corner you and expose your fallacy for what it is a "fallacy". No where in those two verses is the nation of Israel mentioned if anything they are astrological motifs referring to a heaven body that can only be called the sky.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:
stahrwe wrote:

Apparently your no expert either your spouting mythology as history when all this is nothing more than allegorical fairytale. As far as translations go your Bible has been translated so much in so many different ways that even its followers are lost in the textual massacre that as occurred. And using Matthew to prove a point is a weak argument when we all know the NT writers wrote what they imagined and not what they saw, with the exception of John who saw a more spiritual form of the mythology that was written. Your grasping at the proverbial straw to prove a point and as usually happens with most Jesus and God followers you will move the goalposts when it appears as Interbane as to corner you and expose your fallacy for what it is a "fallacy". No where in those two verses is the nation of Israel mentioned if anything they are astrological motifs referring to a heaven body that can only be called the sky.

Caution Diversion.

Even if you were correct about the translations, and you aren't, I was using the KJV which goes back to the 1600's, explain the reference to human flight.

Fact: you have no rebuttal so your divert and reject.

Be careful, Interbane collects fingers.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

BTW, I missed you explanation of the Biblical references to human flight from my last several posts or do you claim that the citations are fallacies of some sort?
There is no mention of human flight. There are ambiguous passages that can be interpreted numerous ways. Latching on to a single interpretation(drawing a circle) is to commit the TSF. I've already mentioned this.
You slap a label on the evidence pat yourself on the back and fall flat on your face.
That reply is your only option. You are too entrenched to admit that you're wrong. What you think is "evidence" are collections of writings that are themselves in need of evidence. Until you corroborate it objectively, the infinite regress is entirely unsupported.

Tell me, for what reason should your 'evidence' be considered true? What is the foundation? A while back you listed pieces of evidence, the first time and the only time that you submitted something substantial. They included the dead sea scrolls and other items that would help to corroborate your evidence. But you didn't pursue it.

Instead, you're attempting to use the bible to support itself. In what universe do you think that is true support? It is faith, unsupported faith, and you continue to confuse faith with epistemic support. It is as simply false as 2+2=5. How can you not see this?
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Caution Diversion.

Even if you were correct about the translations, and you aren't, I was using the KJV which goes back to the 1600's, explain the reference to human flight.

Yeah one of the most flawed versions of your Bible......use the RSV at least you will have the correct translation instead of the dream world the KJV supports.

Fact: you have no rebuttal so your divert and reject.[/quote]

No thats a Bible thumper tactic smoke screen and disappear if you will. Interbane has an argument and from what I have read of this thread he is correct in the assumption that you are using the Bible ( poorly translated one at that) to prove itself. When will Babble people learn YOU CANNOT PROVE THE BIBLE WITH ITSELF!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:
Caution Diversion.

Yeah one of the most flawed versions of your Bible......use the RSV at least you will have the correct translation instead of the dream world the KJV supports.

No thats a Bible thumper tactic smoke screen and disappear if you will. Interbane has an argument and from what I have read of this thread he is correct in the assumption that you are using the Bible ( poorly translated one at that) to prove itself. When will Babble people learn YOU CANNOT PROVE THE BIBLE WITH ITSELF![/quote]

Did it escape your notice that I used the Talmud for one example.

That I used the founding of the nation of Israel in 1948 and another example. That example from history proved the accuracy of Bible passages.

Define using the Bible to prove the Bible.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Not going to. You have told the definition of that I don't know how many times!

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”