• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

how often do you guys read a book?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: how often do you guys read a book?

Unread post

I generally read at least one book a week, but since Borders closed here in Tallahassee about a month ago, I've hit a dry spell. I hate ordering books through the mail, there's no way to take a good look at them while still in the store. I really miss being able to just rummage through the shelves at random and see if anything piques my interest. Being able to do that was one of the best things about being retired. Now, it's gone.
witch love
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

EndlessLaymon wrote:I read everyday sometimes all day and the second I finish one book I pick up another. I never stop reading. If it's not a book it's a comic or graphic novel.
I also can't put one down without another one ready to go

I constantly have a book on the go, since elementary school. Sometimes I read 2-3 books a week, sometimes it takes me a month to finish 1. It depends on my mood, and the weather, I read a lot more in the winter (since I often get snowed in) due to the corny need to litterally curl up infront of the fire with a good book.
In light and love
Kay
-=--=--
I love life because, what more is there.
- Anthony Hopkins
takakoanami
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Did it every night before however I stopped for a couple of months since I learn that I got astigmatism :sosad: and now fortunately my eye was fully recovered, I can do it every weekend (morning..haha :lolflag: ).
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I read pretty much every day. Always start my day with coffee and a book. But I can only read one book at a time. I have tried several times to read more then one (leave one at work and one at home) but I just can't cut it.

I will always have one book waiting for me. But I have found that if I read too many books back to back without taking a day or two break I get frazzled. And I forget what the previous book was about. So I am trying to digest the one before starting a new one.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:I really miss being able to just rummage through the shelves at random and see if anything piques my interest. Being able to do that was one of the best things about being retired. Now, it's gone.
I sympathize, and I might suggest that, should you ever get down to the Tampa Bay area, you visit Haslams in St. Pete. It is one of the few remaining independent bookstores, and, for me, shopping there is always an interesting and enjoyable experience. I started a topic some time ago on the book-buying experience (which, frankly, didn't garner much attention), in which I talked about Haslams and other aspects of visiting bookstores. If you're interested, it's at:

booktalk.org/what-is-your-favorite-book ... 11369.html
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
James Vaught

Unread post

"...I sympathize, and I might suggest that, should you ever get down to the Tampa Bay area, you visit Haslams in St. Pete. It is one of the few remaining independent bookstores, and, for me, shopping there is always an interesting and enjoyable experience. I started a topic some time ago on the book-buying experience (which, frankly, didn't garner much attention), in which I talked about Haslams and other aspects of visiting bookstores. If you're interested, it's at:..."

Unfortunately, Tampa and St. Pete are both about a 5 hour drive each way from Tallahassee. In addition to the time factor, there's the gas factor. Even with the optimum gas mileage for my car (Hyundai Santa Fe), it'd be in the neighborhood of $80+ for the roundtrip.

We used to have a couple of independent book stores in town, now both have gone the way of the dodo bird, and now so has Borders. I don't think there are any other bookstores left in town, there may be but I don't know where they are. And, the hell of it is that this is not a "bump in the road" town; there are somewhere in the area of 150K people in the city, and maybe half more than that in the metro area, and we have two universities and a community college!! The whole damned country is shriveling and fragmenting. Every day, the country seems to become more like Clockwork Orange!!
pjt12345
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I go in spurts. I'll read compulsively for weeks (sometimes months) until I begin to notice how everything else in my world is starting to fall apart and friends and family begin to forget who I am, then I'll have to put myself on a reading "diet" for awhile. Once I get all caught up on things and relationships, I start reading again and the cycle starts all over.

I also am unable to read more than one book at a time. If I'm hooked by the book I'm reading I can't put it down until I've finished it. I also find that if I read a book too fast, because I'm REALLY into it, it tends to slip out of my memory just about as fast. It's the books that are written in a style that cause me to read a bit more slowly and savor every sentence that stick with me. Not unlike a rich and decadent meal.
Gingy: No! Not the buttons! Not my gumdrop buttons!
candy2050
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I always have one book started. I usually have an audio book going in my car. I usually have an audio book going in my sewing room. And sometimes I have a second book going when I have had to start a new one because I left the first one home or in the car.

I almost always get my books from the library. I am so cheap and I almost never reread a book.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Wow, I must have no life whatsoever because I tend to read 3-4 books a week. It's easier now with e-books, since I don't have to wait to go to the library.
James Vaught

Unread post

I tend to read books that are 500+ pages. Mosty history and political issues. Most books today seem to be under 300. I feel cheated if a book is under 400.

Return to “Everything Else”