• In total there are 70 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Preachers, Priests quitely embrace the Christ myth!!!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: Preachers, Priests quitely embrace the Christ myth!!!

Unread post

A few years ago I saw a movie called Vertical Limit. It dealt with people climbing Mt. Kilamanjaro. There was a scene at a base camp where hundreds of people sat around daily planning their assault on the mountain, but that's all they ever did, talk. If militant atheism is real, then it needs to move out of places like TBK. RT complains about people not being nice to him or asking him back. Others that the boyfriend or girlfriend's parents didn't like them because they were an atheist, or maybe lost a job because of it. Well, Boo hoo. When Christianity started the priests had Christians stoned, or beaten or arrested. Check out what is being done to Chistians in China today. Does Murdock believe her stuff or not? When Sabine Baring-Gould went to the Brig, he found the most wretched, blasphemos bar and opened a church next door. The drunks used to throw things through the windows at him while he preached. And you guys are worried about not being invited back?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If militant atheism is real, then it needs to move out of places like TBK.
Militant atheism? Call it what you will, but in my head, what you're referring to in this case is a collection of evidence and reasoning that undermines the foundations of Christianity. I would think militant atheism would be related but different, referencing aggression rather than information.
Others that the boyfriend or girlfriend's parents didn't like them because they were an atheist, or maybe lost a job because of it. Well, Boo hoo.
Thanks, bigot. That christians were once oppressed doesn't give anyone the right to turn around and be even more abusive. That's quite disgusting Stahrwe.
And you guys are worried about not being invited back?
The conversations we've had with you are evidence of the outcome. You're wrong about everything but absolutely refuse to admit it. For every problem you don't have an answer for, such as the recent prophecy flop, you simply go silent rather than admit you're wrong. You refuse to use logic because you don't believe it applies to you, and you simply accept everything you believe without any critical examination. There is no progress that's possible to be made with such a mind.

It's not evasion Stahrwe. If your delusion is incorrigible, what is the point? That's an honest question.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
If militant atheism is real, then it needs to move out of places like TBK.
Militant atheism? Call it what you will, but in my head, what you're referring to in this case is a collection of evidence and reasoning that undermines the foundations of Christianity. I would think militant atheism would be related but different, referencing aggression rather than information.
Others that the boyfriend or girlfriend's parents didn't like them because they were an atheist, or maybe lost a job because of it. Well, Boo hoo.
Thanks, bigot. That christians were once oppressed doesn't give anyone the right to turn around and be even more abusive. That's quite disgusting Stahrwe.
Give me a break. Talk about manufacturing false indignation. What's disgusting about it? If you believe in something stand up for it. Stop cowering in bywater discussion groups reinforcing each other with atta boys for repeating the same stuff. Go climb the mountain.
And you guys are worried about not being invited back?
interbane wrote:The conversations we've had with you are evidence of the outcome. You're wrong about everything but absolutely refuse to admit it. For every problem you don't have an answer for, such as the recent prophecy flop, you simply go silent rather than admit you're wrong. You refuse to use logic because you don't believe it applies to you, and you simply accept everything you believe without any critical examination. There is no progress that's possible to be made with such a mind.

It's not evasion Stahrwe. If your delusion is incorrigible, what is the point? That's an honest question.
So what? What does my intelligence have to do with your beliefs. Do you mean to tell me that because I am stubborn and opinionated that you just shut down?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Talk about manufacturing false indignation. What's disgusting about it? If you believe in something stand up for it.
Being an atheist is the ultimate evil in many people's eyes. It isn't actually evil, but it must be made to look that way, so believers stay far far away from any sort of questioning. I told someone at work that I don't believe in god, she told me she wanted to cry then walked away. She hasn't talked to me since. Another woman told me I'm a godless loser(it had to do with my son), and that my son and I were both going to hell. That sort of behavior is simply disgusting, to think that the entire world thinks badly of good people, based on FALSE beliefs.
So what? What does my intelligence have to do with your beliefs. Do you mean to tell me that because I am stubborn and opinionated that you just shut down?
Are you saying that by not showing up to give a speech, a person can be said to have "shut down"? I'm not shutting down(obviously).

Also, incorrigible means incapable of learning. You are incapable of learning with respect to a truthful worldview. You have faith in a false worldview and won't accept contrary information(no matter how reasonable). Why would any sane person engage in a discussion with a roomful of such people? Honestly, it would serve absolutely no purpose. All that would happen is the media may cover such an event. In which case, the publicity would legitimize your crazy magical beliefs as acceptable in the mainstream.

The only acceptable outcome would be if a little of the information made it through a few of the congregation's faith based rationalizations. It's exceptional armor, but I know a few people who learned some things they simply couldn't rationalize away. When that happens, the entire house of cards falls down. As soon as you realize every single rationalization you have is invalid, you see a gaping chasm where you once saw support.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

In answer to the above, Atheists are considered the Great Evil, again, so what, if you embrace your beliefs or lack thereof either they are important enough to stand up for them or they aren't. Either way, stop whining. Christians have been there, done that, and are still doing it now.

I think many of you are at base camp. You like the safety of the small forums where you hear only echoes.

As for shutting down... I don't know. I think the excuse about lending credibility is horse hockey. Maybe Gould and Dawkins are just, excuse me, in one case - was, too full of themselves. That certainly wasn't the way it used to be.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

In answer to the above, Atheists are considered the Great Evil, again, so what, if you embrace your beliefs or lack thereof either they are important enough to stand up for them or they aren't. Either way, stop whining.

Who says I'm whining? You? I called your beliefs disgusting. Do you think that's whining? I would never believe there is any such thing as a "great evil", by which to vilify others. Such bigotry and hatred is what caused so much death and suffering at the hands of Christians over the centuries(yes, I know you'll deny it or mention mother teresa, but in the end it is still the truth).

It's convenient that your belief system has labeled the individuals best suited to help you break free of your delusion the "Great Evil". It's almost as transparent as Pascal's wager. Elementary grade manipulation.
I think the excuse about lending credibility is horse hockey.
For what reason should an atheist debate with a fundamentalist?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

My impression is that the problem of lack of good debate goes much broader than the problem area of fundamentalists, that it is impossible to get a sensible discussion about the Christ Myth Theory in the mainstream media.

Fundamentalists have poisoned the well by intimidating the general public into a general acceptance that belief in the historical existence of Jesus Christ is universal, when in fact there has been skepticism about this baseless claim from the start of Christianity.

The days when Christians could persecute anyone who disagreed are over - for example the massive 'auto da fe' or book burning when the Spanish destroyed almost all records of the Maya civilization could not happen today. But Christians still intimidate the media and politicians with aggressive condemnation of anyone who questions their bigotry.

Dawkins is part of the atheist spectrum but his scientific background means he is not an expert on mythology, or the psychology of belief, so he presents quite a different slant from Murdock. Dawkins starts from a well established ideology of scientific atheism, seeing religion as evil, whereas mythicism is still in process of formation regarding presentation of a clear argument about what the non-existence of Christ means for the status of religion.

I have never heard this topic debated in mainstream media, except for one interview with Tom Harpur, author of The Pagan Christ. It would be good to get DM Murdock or Earl Doherty or equivalent scholars interviewed on radio in Australia.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:I have never heard this topic debated in mainstream media, except for one interview with Tom Harpur, author of The Pagan Christ. It would be good to get DM Murdock or Earl Doherty or equivalent scholars interviewed on radio in Australia.
I agree, maximum exposure, bring it to the US too.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Stahrwe
In answer to the above, Atheists are considered the Great Evil
The “Great Evil” huh? Look at that capitalized and everything… nice. :down:

What traits make us evil?

Do you consider me evil?

If so why?

And if you are so free with the term “Great Evil” isn’t that a set up for bigotry?

You seem ok with that… which disturbs me.

How do you justify suffering (even minor suffering) at the hands of your religion… your previous comparisons are not valid… the fact that some Christians in the past and in a few other countries have been persecuted does not justify bigotry from modern Christians… it is not even understandable from the great majority of Christians who have themselves NOT been the subject of persecution.

We live in a modern country with laws protecting us form religious precaution… those laws were and still are important because the founders of this country recognized the fact that the religious are bigots.

You say stop whining when we complain about the treatment we receive from bigoted people, I say it is a moral atrocity when any people are mistreated… including Christians.

Your belief allows for this mistreatment… it actually sets up the foundation for it…

And you have the audacity to call us evil… that’s a laugh.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:
Stahrwe
In answer to the above, Atheists are considered the Great Evil
The “Great Evil” huh? Look at that capitalized and everything… nice. :down:

What traits make us evil?

Do you consider me evil?

If so why?

And if you are so free with the term “Great Evil” isn’t that a set up for bigotry?

You seem ok with that… which disturbs me.

How do you justify suffering (even minor suffering) at the hands of your religion… your previous comparisons are not valid… the fact that some Christians in the past and in a few other countries have been persecuted does not justify bigotry from modern Christians… it is not even understandable from the great majority of Christians who have themselves NOT been the subject of persecution.

We live in a modern country with laws protecting us form religious precaution… those laws were and still are important because the founders of this country recognized the fact that the religious are bigots.

You say stop whining when we complain about the treatment we receive from bigoted people, I say it is a moral atrocity when any people are mistreated… including Christians.

Your belief allows for this mistreatment… it actually sets up the foundation for it…

And you have the audacity to call us evil… that’s a laugh.

Later
What distubs me is that you didn't see the riff I was making on the complaints being put forth. I don't consider atheists to be evil and I don't know anyone who does. I might make an except with respect to things some atheists say, Sam Harris for example. His inflammatory rape quote is evil.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”