• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Fiction Book Poll

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!

Select as many FICTION books as you would read and discuss with us as a group

Book 1 - Cain by Jose Saramago

10%
Book 2 - 11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

6%
Book 2 - People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks

8%
Book 4 - The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

6%
Book 5 - Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock

4%
Book 6 - The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

8%
Book 7 - Lonesome Dove: A Novel by Larry McMurtry

2%
Book 8 - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

4%
Book 9 - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

4%
Book 10 - Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

4%
Book 11 - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

8%
Book 12 - Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

12%
Book 13 - (WINNER 1 of 2) Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks

13%
Book 14 - The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz

6%
Book 15 - State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

8%

Total votes: 52
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Fiction Book Poll

Unread post

Now that we have 1 fiction book selected for January & February we need to know if there is a 2nd book with enough people wanting to discuss it to warrant creating a 2nd book discussion forum.

Tye following people voted for the winning book. Based one this book winning do you all still want to keep your votes the same? If you are not interested in reading a 2nd book at the same time please revise your votes.
  • DWill
  • Damifino
  • Saffron
  • Suzanne
  • giselle
  • kelstan
  • lindad_amato
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

heledd wrote:Oh dear! Just checked with Amazon and it's not available till March. Will have to struggle alone with Cain, then.
Not sure if this post refers to The Memory of Skin (it's) but I ordered it from Amazon without any problem, although had to get the hardcover, so maybe you mean the paperback, which hasn't been released yet?
Chris OConnor wrote:Does anyone want to see George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four running in January and February?
I'm interested in reading/discussing 1984 if I can get it on the Kindle I just ordered. This is a new venture into Kindle for me, don't know if I will like it but I'll give it a try. I'm tired of waiting for books that take forever to arrive and sometimes never show up. Plus looks like it might be cheaper in the long run.

Chris - I'm not sure what your post about 'changing votes' means? I don't get it?
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

giselle wrote:Chris - I'm not sure what your post about 'changing votes' means? I don't get it?
I'm not sure either what it means. I will only be reading the one book. Presently I am 17 in line waiting for the book to come from the library.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Look at the poll closely. At any time we can change our votes. In most polls once you vote your vote is set in stone but on this poll I have selected to allow people to change their votes at any time.

Here is he logic...

Person 1 votes for 5 books they are willing to read and discuss.

Book X wins and is selected for group discussion.

We decide as a community that we would like to read 2 fiction books concurrently so we look again at the poll results and see Book Y with the 2nd greatest number of votes.

The question now becomes whether all the people that voted for Book X and Book Y are willing to read Book X and Book Y at the same time. Or when they voted for Book X, and Book X won the poll, did that automatically mean they no longer wanted their vote to still stand for Book Y?

The solution to this chaos is for me to run a 2nd poll and not try to select 2 books from the same poll. Getting people to go back and edit their poll votes is not easy. People have moved on and are no longer even looking at the poll thread. They don't see my posts asking for people to change their votes if so desired.

As we all know this was an experiment. I think we all love this new voting method. What I will do next time is simply run one poll, select a winner, and then run another poll to select a 2nd book.

The only other choice is to have some options in the poll that say:
  • I am interested in reading only 1 of these books at one time. 2 books would be too much for me.
  • I am interested in reading up to 2 of these books concurrently.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

The second poll makes sense to me. Some folks might not want to read the first book chosen, but would read the second.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Chris: I think the key is to keep the voting simple and straightforward. Running a second poll is fine and is simpler than asking people to make choices about 'concurrent reading'. In any case, if I decide to vote in a second poll its because I'm interested enough in one of the books to read two books concurrently, so you get to the same end in that respect. And I think you're right .. I don't think people will go back and 'change' their vote, that will just cause confusion. So I suggest going with a second poll.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”