• In total there are 112 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 111 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What does your BookTalk.org username mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: What does your BookTalk.org username mean?

Unread post

The story of Pheidippides or Philippides is controversial. This running messenger's greatest feat was not the run from Marathon to Athens but from Athens to Sparta which he supposedly covered in 2 days time. The distance from Athens to Sparta is about 153 miles or so. He made this run to enlist the help of Sparta (Greece's premiere fighting force). No wonder he died

Also, supposedly, it's because of him that attention was given to the God Pan in Athens... but, as we've seen from the route of the Persians, it's more likely that the Pan(ic) caused by the running Athenians among the Persian ranks is probably the most likely cause.
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Ah good, the 150 mile thing sounds certainly more plausible in regards to causing death. I did read about a study that indicated that running marathons causes stress on heart muscles and that after one hour of running, you are essentailly maxing out all of the benefits that you would gain from it. Then again, what isn't bad for you these days? :shock: I don't know, I won't stop until Dean Karnazes is wheel chair bound.
liberty41988
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

This is a great forum, interesting topic... should have gotten more posts!
My user name has two sources and meanings, Liberty was the name of one of my favorite Dobermans, she was always by my side keeping me safe. And 1988 is my dedication to seeking liberty & justice for my two deceased friends, murdered yet lost in the abyss of a cover-up.
Barbara Gordon-Bell
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I chose "bionov" because I write biological thriller novels. My novels, "Green Power" (published), and, "The True Virus" (waiting for publication), both deal with bioterrorism.
Busygirlbooks
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I used my twitter name as my user name here. I began tweeting to promote my book. Busygirl is my nickname on a chess site where I have played for years and refers to the insanity that is my life. Two jobs, five kids and continuing degree work was all in play before I wrote a book. Now the promotional work and the next installment in a series have made it all the more fitting.
Please check out "The E Word" at: http://www.amazon.com/The-word-entitlem ... t_ep_dpt_1

My book is about my successful journey to recognize and overcome a false sense of entitlement and how I have seen this challenge affect the lives of others.
Stacey Martin
grizzlyman
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

The ‘old ways’ have always been of interest to me. Some years later, while sitting by the river trying to ignore blackflies and mosquitoes, I was able to fashion a stone cutting tool by breaking one large stone on another. It took some time, several tries and bruised knuckles, and it wasn’t pretty. Nevertheless, using the sharp edge I could remove small branches, and with the stone tool attached to a sapling with strips of inner bark I had both a primitive axe and a weapon for protection in the wild. A bear could have knocked my head off with one swipe of its hairy paw, nevertheless, the axe gave me a sense of being able to cope when alone in the bush. Even though the binding came apart after a few whacks at a small tree, the principle of its construction was sound.

The idea to make a stone implement came from seeing the sharp flakes I had broken off large rocks, either with a sledgehammer or by blasting with dynamite, when I worked on the ‘Grizzly’ at a mine in Northern Canada. The ‘Grizzly' man stands on an approximately six meters square grid of steel rails (the 'Grizzly') set over a 200’ deep shaft where oversized rocks have to be reduced in size in order to pass between the rails on their way down to the ‘crusher’. From there the crushed rock goes through various processing stages to the refinery where nickel and precious metals are extracted. The rails are heavier than train rails and set wide enough apart that a careless man could slip and fall through, which gives some idea of the size of rocks that had to be dealt with. Miners make money by moving the largest volume of rock as quickly as possible. If that occasionally entails sending massively oversized rocks to the crusher they are blocked by the rails and become the ‘Grizzly' man's problem. Thus I can claim to be a real grizzlyman and – it paid a wage.

This rather long explanation is taken from the author chapter of my eBook. Written for non-theists and freethinkers, a free read of the intro is available at http://www.miraclescam.com.
Last edited by grizzlyman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonoman
All Star Member

Unread post

My user name is a contraction of "Son of Man", the title Jesus used to describe his spiritual role in the Gospels. He never said he was the Son of God although he did let others say it and didn't deny it. But as the Son of Man Jesus Christ makes great sense to my spiritual understanding of the Spirit of Christ as the Primary (or "Firstborn Son") emanation from the Godhead here to teach humankind why it is necessary to choose self-sacrifice for love of others in order to obey God who wants only for human beings to become humane beings. I feel spiritually connected to Christ through the Son of Man tradition which I join almost automatically as an archetypal Aquarian since Christ is Aquarius as the "Son of the Man Face of God", i.e. the Aquarius human face on the Merkabah's Cheribim configuration seen in the fiery Chariot of God. I have used the moniker "Ariel" and "Arielmessenger" for similar reasons, Ariel being another Aquarian Face on the astrological creature of the Sphinx or "Lion of God" which is half the Cheribim but the half with the Living Waters composed of ankhs as Life symbol (Aquarius) plus was symbols as rulership (Leo) symbol in the spiritual teeter-totter between Leo and Aquarius. You can see I am actually more comfortable with Ariel or Arielmessenger as a moniker but sonoman will do.
grizzlyman
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I did explain my username in an earlier post but should have included an explanation of my logo/avatar. The water into wine image is taken from my eBook explaining how and why miracles do not happen in the real world. Supernatural claims are naturally false however there is an intellectually valid reason why the stories exist in Western society.
Kinga Paine
Official Newbie!

Unread post

My username is my author name.

Kinga is my real god-given first name and I've taken creative liberties with the surname ;) (of course!)

Although I may come to adopt it as my real name in the future!!!
Horror Extraordinaire and Creator of Darkness - http://Kingapaine.com
walkingdude
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My user name has several conotations. Walkingdude was a character in Stephen King"s novel, The Stand. The character, walkingdude was basically the Devil. I chose the name, not because it refered to the Devil, but because the character was beautifully described and because he was always walking.
I love to walk, especially with a dog, hence the other conotation of walkingdude. In the novel I have written, Adder in the Path, the main character, Jake Devine has a dog, and besides his mother, it is the only entity that gives him unfettered love. Jake roams the rolling hills of Northwest Missouri with Rufe and pours his heart out to the dog. Well, you have to read it to understand www.adderinthepath.net

Return to “Everything Else”